What have I done now!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

What have I done now!

Post by pistonbroke »

Before fleeing the UK I spent a couple of days offering technical support at Eroica GB in Bakewell. I was stationed at the top of the Goyt valley with a selection of hammers and screwdrivers and spent the day "fixing" the selection of skip-find classics that passed by. Last year I discovered that there was an Eroica Hispania held in the Rioja region and decided to search for a suitable bike.
The idea of there being a 70's or 80's 57cm frame in the land of the vertically challenged was pretty fanciful but I found one being sold on the local el gumtree by a Dutchman. It was a largely unused Peugeot Record du Monde and ticked all the boxes for Eroica eligibility including weighing a ton. I collected it and paid 70 crisp euros, it was too late to enter this year's event but meant I could spend the winter sprucing it up and knitting some shorts for next year. I subsequently heard a rumour that this year was the last running of the ride in Spain, bugger.
Imagine my surprise when an email inviting entries for June 2020 popped into my inbox this afternoon. I quickly clicked on the registration link and saw there was a short, medium and long route option so without really checking, signed up for the long. Once I'd committed and paid, I looked back at the details, seems the event has moved it's location to a much hillier area of La Rioja and the long route is 184km with over 3,000m of climbing, largely on white roads, oh bollocks!
My bike rejoices in having a 39/53 chainset and 5 speed cassette up to the dizzy heights of 23 teeth, it sports 23mm tyres that are mainly perished on steel rims with little in the way of braking resistance. I think I'm due for a similar experience to Tim Moore's riding of the Giro in his excellent book Geronimo! Pray for me.
slarge

Re: What have I done now!

Post by slarge »

That bike is nice - but clearly made for a softie as it has a double chainring!

There's quite a following now for vintage type bikes, and they can be fun in a retro sort of way!
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Well that sounds easy only 3000 metres ! Should be ok with that massive cassette. :grin:
What's the worst than can happen?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Not keen on those teal plant pots.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Shifters not aligned on downtube. Hose needs burying
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

An absolute shambles all round. What HAVE you done Duncan?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Not sure if you're the expert on matters of taste :grin:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Fight!,