Front mech brain fart

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Front mech brain fart

Post by composite »

I need some help here people before I have an aneurysm. I needed a new front mech, sora 9 speed double band on bottom pull.

The old one (note the arm with the cable bolt on goes over to the left).

The new one that arrived. (note the arm with the bolt on goes up rather than left).

When I put the new one the bike it didn't seem to want to shift and the cable looked like it was going at a much steeper angle to the right than it did before. It just doesn't want to pull the arm over.

Have a bought the wrong one? I keep Googling for bottom pull etc. and get parts that sometimes look like the old one and sometimes the new one. I'm somewhat confused. :oops:

I have another Audax this weekend and would rather not have to use the manual gear change system that I had to use for last weekends 200km. :|
chris n

Re: Front mech brain fart

Post by chris n »

composite

Post by composite »

chris n wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:58 pm Have a look here: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RBFD001-01-ENG.pdf
Thanks for that Chris, it would appear it is the right type of mech.

Trouble is now that it would appear I need another tool!??! to judge if the convertor should be on or off, although I'm thinking of just sacking that off and trying one setting and if that isn't working use the other.

The real FML issue is that the cable isn't long enough for the routing on this type of mech so I need to go buy a new inner before I can even try the settings out... only replaced this inner 3 months ago. :|
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

The alignment tool should have come in the box with the mech. Failing that, just follow the instructions and don't worry about it. I find the different settings make such a small difference, it can work fine so long as you get the cable tension correct.
composite

Post by composite »

I meant to update to say I got it all sorted. The reason it didn't work the first time was that I hadn't routed the cable correctly over the pin above the bolt. Just never seen this style front mech before... its been 5 years I reckon since I have dealt with replacing one. :|