What winter socks?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HUX

What winter socks?

Post by HUX »

I've got a couple of pairs of woolie boolies that have been great but could do with replacing. Any suggestions?
In Reverse

Re: What winter socks?

Post by In Reverse »

What are you wearing over the top of them Hux?
psling

Post by psling »

HUX wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:27 am I've got a couple of pairs of woolie boolies that have been great but could do with replacing. Any suggestions?
Woolie Boolies?! :wink:

Winter? Woolie boolies for me (inside boots), with a liner sock if the mercury plummets (and wiggle room for my toes inside my boots).
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Found Woolie Boolies wear really well, but imo these are a better sock-

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/pages/se ... ge?q=socks

Zig Zags & Shindigs. They usually have some on offer with a different name, Embers atm, but they're out of stock. Mike, Stu & Taylor have some Hux..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
HUX

Post by HUX »

Normally wear my old shimano mw80s but went to put them on the other day and they've vanished :o no idea where they are so I'll need to get a new pair. (The pair in the classifieds are too big!). I'll have a look at those groundeffect :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What were those bamboo socks you gave me Jase? They're very good too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:27 pm What were those bamboo socks you gave me Jase? They're very good too.
They're Steel Blue from Oz Stu, great to ride in until they get wet!
As you discovered, they're not the quickest to dry.. :shock:

Used some the first day of the HTR lower loop the other week. They were on the stove in Ben Alder ALL night & still weren't dry in the morn.. Were just a dead weight the rest of the trip!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Polaris merino socks are my favourite if it's fairly cold, and I tend to wear them all the non-summer months on and off the bike as they're super comfy and hard-wearing. If it's really cold then bridgedale wooly walking socks and possibly a set of gore Tex boot liners. Also got Belgian oversock things and neoprene overshoes to add even more warmth when needed.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've been out for a short ride this morning using Specialized Defroster boots with Bridgedale wool mix walking socks with plenty of wiggle room. Temps were around 3-4C.

My feet felt damp and cold pretty much all ride after the first 30 minutes or so. What I think happened is that the socks were too warm for the combination of the boots, the temperature and my effort level (not that high). When I got home the socks were still damp to the touch. I'd have been better with very thin "summer" socks, the Defrosters are good (for me) down to -2/3C.

So I think you need to match the sock/boot "system" to the conditions and how much effort and therefore sweat/perspiration you are generating. In really cold, as in -5C and lower, then vapour barrier socks might be worth considering.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Smart wool extra thick for me
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

HUX wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:27 am I've got a couple of pairs of woolie boolies that have been great but could do with replacing. Any suggestions?
HJ Halls army issue type 60 percent merino for me... or the Darn Tough extra thick again in aroudn 60 percent merino ones for when you really gonna give it some. Alwaya wored well for me and (IMO) both still stay reasonably warm (ie. Not cold) when wet... Added bonus is (although I cant remember trying with the Darn Tough) that the HJ Halls can be squeezed to let out water and ....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Or just get the thickest Dexshells thats available but thats almost quad the price the HJ Hall and won't evwr dry as fast... take an age to dry out
javatime

Post by javatime »

Another reminder for Goretex ex army boot liners. Just back from a cold wet and muddy Cotswold's overnighter. Had thinnish wool socks inside the liners with Shimano winter boots and warm dry feet for 2 days.
The best £5 I have spent, (twice)and too good to be used for those night time exits as in Stu's recent thread.!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

If it's very cold I use 2mm ish neoprene decathlon socks, can be a little clamy but ok
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

OutdoorGB have some merino HJ hall socks in their sale. These ones are only if you have large feet, but they have some other kinds in other sizes too.

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/HJ_Hall_Pro ... ocks/?ic=1

https://www.outdoorgb.com/b/HJ_Hall/
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

Anyone tried alpaca socks?