Pot cozees and fuel bottles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Pot cozees and fuel bottles

Post by Borderer »

I like the sound of a pot cozee but when I look at them they look like they are made of plastic stuff to me. So I always think that if I put a hot pot in one it will just melt. Is this not the case?

Also - I have one of Stu's afterburner stoves and a fuel bottle that I think was probably sold with it (bought both 2nd hand on here). It drives me completely nuts (in an entirely disproportionate way) that the hole in the top of the stove is fractionally too small to fit onto the top of the bottle, making packing needlessly awkward and space-wasting. Are there any bottles that do fit in this way? It's a daft thing to be getting my knickers in a twist about I know, but it irks me....
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Pot cozees and fuel bottles

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

like the sound of a pot cozee but when I look at them they look like they are made of plastic stuff to me. So I always think that if I put a hot pot in one it will just melt. Is this not the case?
No, it doesn't melt. A naked flame will melt it though.

Fuel bottle. Roam the shops aremed with a tape measure. Any plastic bottle will hold meths fine.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My pot cosy is made from reflectex - the shiny bubble wrap you put on radiators, works great

I use a different bottle depending on the length of the trip, and prefer not to stick in with the stove because thats where other bits go like my windshield and my coffee.

So in short, horses for courses I guess!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:04 pm
like the sound of a pot cozee but when I look at them they look like they are made of plastic stuff to me. So I always think that if I put a hot pot in one it will just melt. Is this not the case?
No, it doesn't melt. A naked flame will melt it though.

Fuel bottle. Roam the shops aremed with a tape measure. Any plastic bottle will hold meths fine.
Thanks good to know re the cozee. But the fuel bottle - :cry: can't you just mill the stove holes a bit bigger? Not asking for mine - just for future ones.....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Borderer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:33 pm . But the fuel bottle - :cry: can't you just mill the stove holes a bit bigger? Not asking for mine - just for future ones.....
LOL. I know exactly what you mean and share your frustration. However I'm also paranoid about meths spillage so usually end up packing it separately, in an extra poly bag, somewhere it'll stay upright. I guess carrying my pot/mug upright would be an option.... :|
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:51 pm LOL. I know exactly what you mean and share your frustration. However I'm also paranoid about meths spillage so usually end up packing it separately, in an extra poly bag, somewhere it'll stay upright. I guess carrying my pot/mug upright would be an option.... :|
Yes my meths bottle goes upright in my mug, which is inside a stem cell. Then the stove lets the whole side down by not fitting neatly in any way.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i bought 4 bottles from ebay of various sizes that each have a plastic stopper in them - downside is when taking it out you always get a hint of meths on your fingers but it wont leak - it then has a normal screw top on the bottle

Probably costs about £2 for them all
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I keep my stove inside my mug and my fuel somewhere else ... so it's perhaps the bottle that lets the side down rather than the stove but either way I feel responsible for everyones OCD :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

All this (including coffee) fits in the white (porridge) pot:
Porridge, spork and fuel bottle go in a separate bag.