Distance between top bearing and the stem

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Distance between top bearing and the stem

Post by Mike »

Iv put new forks on the camino, and i want to leave the steerer fairly long that way if i ever change my mind and sell the forks are more use to someone else ( AND IT KEEPS MY FRONT END A BIT HIGHER ) iv got 55mm of spacers though is this abit excessive or ok
The fork website says max 30mm spacers :|

Does it really make much difference to the leverage on steerer etc?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Distance between top bearing and the stem

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Carbon steerer?
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I don't pay too much attention to these things, it will be fine.

Even if we assume they somehow calculated the 30mm they would have to use the worst case figures and then apply a factor of safety to allow for manufacturing tolerances. So they would have assumed say a 20+ stone rider battering down a potholed alpine descent for hours.

Given most of the fork manufacturers recommend about the same max height of spacers I think they just pick a figure that looks about right.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't listen to Sean. It seems quite obvious that while 30mm will result in every ride being ridden through sunny, flower covered countryside, 31mm will result in a certain and painful death ... don't say I didn't warn you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Try 30mm of spacers below and 20mm above stem?

I have an enormous stack of spacers on the Gryphon (all below the stem) and haven't died yet.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Of course if you follow "The Rules" then #45 applies

A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem and a single 5mm spacer must always – always – be stacked above. A “slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset. :geek:

I've had 35mm under my stem and 10mm on top with a carbon steerer and survived.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Rode with this for a couple of years without problem.
Uncut Reba on ti Stooge.
ImageP1150534 by michaelwex10, on Flickr

Waiting for another ti frame and will probably just rebuild to same set up but with a 120mm Reba.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I ran a carbon steerer with about 40mm of spacers on the Spanish C2C and didn't die Mike. Don't even think I fell off. :cool:

edit: I did fall off thinkiing about it - I went otb about 2 minutes after we set off from the airport. :cool:
Mike

Post by Mike »

:lol:

Well just taken the camino out with the new lauf true grit sl fork on and its made such a difference to what was a super harsh ride over roots n rocks into a very enjoyable ride with no achy wrists or arms on my return. Iv been fighting them off for awhile as i thought they looked ugly..... but actually i think they look mint on the ti :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Don't worry, that's just confirmation bias. They still look ridiculous

I'm sure they're more comfy though!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:04 pm I ran a carbon steerer with about 40mm of spacers on the Spanish C2C and didn't die Mike. Don't even think I fell off. :cool:

edit: I did fall off thinkiing about it - I went otb about 2 minutes after we set off from the airport. :cool:
The problem I have with that setup is the spacers above the stem. Assuming you're using the correct bung, the bung is designed to pop into the steerer at the same level as the stem, then when tightened to tension the headset, the bung expands inside the steerer. This gives the stem a solid piece of steerer to clamp onto. With that amount of spacers the stem will clamp onto a hollow part of the fork and the bung will expand into an unsupported piece of steerer. Have you checked the steerer for cracks?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

But the bung is just to pre-load the bearings so if you've whanged it that tight (to split a steerer) shirley operator-error :wink:
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:43 pm But the bung is just to pre-load the bearings so if you've whanged it that tight (to split a steerer) shirley operator-error :wink:
I thought the same but after re-reading, I think the point he's making is that the bung provides additional support for the steerer when the stem is tightened. In this example, there is no bung at the same point the stem is clamping the steerer.

FWIW, I think the notion that the steerer is designed to have a bung in place to handle the (over)tightening of the stem is bunkum.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Carbon steerer.
Something inside the stem pushing the tube outwards just above something outside the stem pushing the tube inwards.
I wouldn't.

But then I'd also not ride a bike that fitted so badly I needed all those spacers.... :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

The bike fit is fine, im just leaving the steerer longer so if i ever sell the fork im not limiting my sale to just short arses like me :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Another option is the woolftooth headset
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pro ... d-standard

I have one on the Fargo in the 25mm stack height, gets rid of a few spacers and looks like it would spread the load better.
Also very nice headsets :-bd

I’m not convinced that a stack of spacers means a badly fitting frame, low front ends may be great for speed but maybe not so good for comfort.

As an additional temptation I’ve just this moment received an email from woolftooth announcing limited edition nickel components
Would look mint on a Ti frame :-bd

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... f1c9250d2d
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A large stack of spacers below your stem is a sign of age and wisdom - you want a nice comfy riding position which also allows to to negotiate harum scarum descents without fear of face plants :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

But then I'd also not ride a bike that fitted so badly I needed all those spacers..
To be fair it is unlikely you will ever ride a childs bike and that is the only wqy you would ever need that many spacers :wink:
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:04 pm I ran a carbon steerer with about 40mm of spacers on the Spanish C2C and didn't die Mike. Don't even think I fell off. :cool:

In fairness you did try a no-handed bunnyhop whilst taking a picture :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: