A bigger Valais?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

A bigger Valais?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Winter bikepacking time is almost here and I'll be looking to fit my Revelate Terrapin on the new Cube fatbike. However, said bike comes with an internally routed dropper. In order to protect the stanchion, something like a Wolftooth Valais would be ideal - if only it was large enough to cope with the 55mm strap on the Terrapin. I can always just apply some protective tape each time I use it, but that seems such a waste.

Do we know of a bigger Valais?
Has anyone come up with another option?
What's the chances/cost of getting something 3D printed?
fatbikephil

Re: A bigger Valais?

Post by fatbikephil »

Colin, I use a section of old esi grip slit longways round the dropper stanchion and around which the terrapin strap fastens. I can still get about 2" of drop with this
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - I have some foam grips I use for my Loops that would likely do the trick too. I guess the soft foam isn't likely to damage the seal on the dropper either (not that I have much space to drop it in any case).
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I used some pipe insulation or similar tubular split foam to protect my dropper
Karl

Post by Karl »

Colin, if you let me know dimensions I'll draw one up and print it for you if you'd like. Ping me a message with the details.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Colin, I've doodled this up - what do you think? It would be mounted with 3 x M4 cap heads and encapsulated M4 nuts (the nice bit of 3D printing). I've based it around a 25mm dropper post diameter (easily change the diameter). Strap area is 57mm approx.

I'll print one off this week and try it on my dropper post :-bd

P.S I'll make it lighter once it works :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oooh! Pretty.

That looks pretty much spot on. I assume the plastic used is flexy enough to be slipped on/off the post as required?

Oh, and I think shape of the bottom on the Valais takes into account the seal on the dropper. There should be some sort of recess do that the Valais rests on the outer, metal, part of the post and not damage the seal. I'll get some measurements....
Karl

Post by Karl »

If you can get me the dimension that would be great.

Think I have some flexible filament lying around which would probably be quite good. I'll do a trial run using basic PLA first.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Had another look at the Wolf Valais, it's made from Delrin which is POM or Acetal. I can get a roll of POM Filamet :-bd
Karl

Post by Karl »

I know this thread is from a while back but thought I'd give an update. I modeled something similar but longer to the valais ,had to measure my dropper posts, along with input from Colin. Totally forgot to do anything with it until Sean got in touch. So sent him the model so his friend could print him one off. And here's the result....

Little and large:

And the one it situ (cut down a bit as Sean didn't need it as long):

I'm quite chuffed it worked. I've order some flexible filament to print a couple off for myself. If anyone else wants one give us a shout. :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Could you not use two stacked?
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Possibly the worst photo of a product ever but I have a few of these.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9CMMfxlJOg/
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Karl wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:23 pm I'm quite chuffed it worked. I've order some flexible filament to print a couple off for myself. If anyone else wants one give us a shout.
Wow :-bd
Also like the design of the (selfmade?) saddle bag.

I've got a Valais, had it for ages, but hardly use my trailbikes with saddle bags and when I use a saddle bag, it's small enough that it goes well with the Valais. But then, my small saddle bag is full of holes and straps are tearing out of the too light fabric. So... I might come back to you, depending on how a new saddle bag will turn out.

Anyways, great work.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'll take one of those thank you very muchly. I assume you need post diameter? What size nut and bolt do I need?

And who/how do I pay for this excellent service?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Alpinum wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:36 am Also like the design of the (selfmade?) saddle bag.
Thanks :smile: it's one of the things I've got round to with my extra free time.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16943

It will get it's first proper test at the weekend on the WRT - Back Garden Edition
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I would also like on please
who to pay how much etc
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:31 pm
Alpinum wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:36 am Also like the design of the (selfmade?) saddle bag.
Thanks :smile: it's one of the things I've got round to with my extra free time.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16943

It will get it's first proper test at the weekend on the WRT - Back Garden Edition
Ahh... nice one. Liked the first time I saw it :-bd
I find saddle bags awkward to sew, but keeping it simple like your doesn't seem an all too big faff.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've made a couple now and I've refined the design each time. I've got a shape I'm happy with now which doesn't interfere with peddling and is also close enough to the shape of my Wildcat tapered drybag for that to fit nicely

It is double layered with internal stiffening top and bottom at the front section and I've used a heavy cordura on the section that touches the underside of the saddle and the seatpost. This one also has a simple roll-top closure which should give a larger range of usable volumes.

I only need the valais+ adapter for the Spearfish as it has a dropper so that wont be getting much use for the foreseeable future. Even a short travel FS is too much bike for lock-down bimbles on the Island.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Karl

Post by Karl »

For the Valais they'll be no charge. If you want just drop some pennies to Stu and Dee to keep the forum going. Send me your dropper post diameter (currently the design is for 25mm but can adjust). Current length is 70mm, Sean cut his down so if you have a preference for a different length let me know.

Designed for M4 fixings (M4 x 25mm socket cap head).

Send me your addresses via PM and I'll get them sent out ASAP. Down side is they'll be blue as that's the only filament I've got at the moment (I can get some black on order if you don't mind waiting).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Wait? But I need it for that , err, urgent, err, trip....

OK. Waiting is fine :lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:52 pm Wait? But I need it for that , err, urgent, err, trip....

OK. Waiting is fine :lol:
Or you can have it in blue now for that urgent trip to the garden :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Anyone thats done a 'Valais from Karl for a donation to Bear' and got themselves a shiny new 'blue dropper adaptor thingy' (TM), and needs some bolts. I've bought some appropriate sized ones. They're in stainless steel flavour and if you want a couple then just give me a shout and I'll bung in post for ya...

Karl, if you want a dozen or half then let me know and I'll post em on
redefined_cycles

Designed and manufactured in The Peak :-bd thanks Karl
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

that seat angle looks very kinky
redefined_cycles