Guardian article re bikes on trains

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: Guardian article re bikes on trains

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Roobell7 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:28 pm HS2 route is about 2 miles from here. Pity we'll need to get to London or Birmingham to use it.
Of course if the Great Central line was still open :|
I suspect HS2 is destined for the same project path as that extra runway at Heathrow :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've travelled with my bike five times on trains... and never again. I had a particularly bad time of it coming back from the TNR and I'm in no rush to repeat the experience.

Cars are terrible for the planet, and a ton of dead time for a long journey... but I just don't see our rail network as bike friendly, especially when you get to areas that only have the sprinter trains without bike friendly sections. The sad thing is anyone who has travelled a lot via train in Europe will tell you that it doesn't need to be this way.
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

Europe can be problematical too. A very unhelpful guard tried to refuse me taking my bike on a TGV. It was packed down to below the required dimensions, but he maintained it could not come aboard as it was in a box rather than a bag. After a few minutes pleading and cajoling he advised me that if I boarded the train a few carriages down, then there was little he could do to prevent me. Le jobswoth!