Bothy/tent slippers.

Post by ScotRoutes »

What's good?

Down or synthetic?
Ankle height?
Sole material?
Weight?

Brands and models?

Currently considering the Montane Prism or Firefly. Probably mostly warm in the sleeping bag at night.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bothy/tent slippers.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For actually sleeping in, I have some 'booties' that don't have a sole so are more like insulated socks. I forget what make mine are but Rab do some.

I also have some 'piss-slippers' from Nordisk which do have a sole. There's some down to insulate them and the sole is fine for wondering around bothies or quickly nipping outside as long as it's not too wet. They can also be bought quite cheaply. Just be aware that the cold will come through the sole.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

Iv a pair of brand new unused rab hot socks here im about to advertise. Primaloft booties and they are warm!

£35 POSTED
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I had to put some we evazote foam (CCF) inside to make a sole which works a treat as bothy slippers, they're fleece with a flexible vinyl/plasticy or sole.
Don't sleep in them though, if I need them I have down booties
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have a pair of the Nordisk slippers pictured above and a pair of Montane Prism booties. I prefer to use the Prisms despite the fact that they're a bit more bulky/heavy as they use synthetic insulation so you can just chuck them in the washing machine if they get muddy. Comments about the sole (on either) are valid, I'd hate to stand on a sharp bit of gravel in them. My main use of them is in our campervan but they're nice for bothying as well. I've never used them for bivvying or tent camping though, I think a pair of down socks with no sole would be better for sleeping bag or quilt use as long as you didn't intend walking about in them .
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I got a pair of down booties that I can sleep in. I wanted to be able to keep these on if I needed to go outside for a pee so I bought a pair of these overshoes to wear over them. The soles are fairly robust but you can feel lumpy ground through them, so I now have a pair of insoles inside the overshoes to protect my feet from uneven bothy floors. The overshoes keep my down booties clean and dry and mean I don't have to put on wet shoes to go outside, which would make my dry socks wet again. When I bought them I was worried they wouldn't last long but they are over two years old now and still fine. I just use them in winter when I usually change into the down booties and overshoes as soon as we camp or get to a bothy to keep my feet warm. I am a big fan of both now.

This link is to an expensive pair! But it's just for the idea - I don't have time right now to find you a cheap one :wink:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-Women-Re ... SwGVFcJwTw

Apologies for the naff booties - they were all I could find cheap on eBay - you can see the real reason why I cover them up with overshoes now.... :lol:

The down booties are 200g for the pair and the overshoes are 135g for the pair. The cost for both booties and overshoes was a tenner all-in on eBay.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Some great ideas folks - thanks. I was certainly aware of the sole/no-sole option and trying to come up with a compromise so the little over-shoes thing might be the trick. :smile:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Lidl have cheap insoles too just now that make all the difference.