SMD Gatewood. Low pitch for windy weather.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

lune ranger

SMD Gatewood. Low pitch for windy weather.

Post by lune ranger »

Just returned from a weekend bivi on Dartmoor using my Gatewood cape.
It’s had a lot of use so far but this was the first real windy night. The cape was getting properly pushed around in the wind, getting pressed down onto me etc. All that was fine. Didn’t once think it was going to get blown away.
What was bothering me was that the wind was Baltic and blowing onto my head/face.
I made an effort to drop the pitch some. Brought the pegs into the closet positions and angled the pole to lower the peak. This was the problem. To drop the peak enough to put the tarp edges onto the ground the pole had to be at a very obtuse angle reducing the overall strength of the shelter and adding to the flapping.
My pole is fixed length (very nice BB carbon jobbie) so no ability to stay near vertical and reduce peak height.
Any users of Gatewood or Deschutes tarps have any pointers?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Pirahna

Re: SMD Gatewood. Low pitch for windy weather.

Post by Pirahna »

If you angle the pole too far off vertical you risk bending an alloy one and snapping a carbon. You don't need to drop it much, a couple of inches at most, In the past I've used an adjustable walking pole, not cheap for lightweight one. Something like the Exped adjustable tarp pole would work well, not as light as your carbon one but cheaper. If you want carbon then maybe have a chat to Stu to see if he could make something with a very short removable section to allow two setups.

Link to the Exped pole https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -115-p3902
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, setting the pole at an angle will put greater stress on it and it will also remove some tension from one side of the shelter.

The options are (a) scoop a hollow out in the ground - it needs to be big enough that the pole can move about within it. (b) use a shorter pole with a slip-on extension piece which you can remove for a lower pitch - just made Richpip's one with a 3cm extension held in place with magnets. (c) put a hat on and (d) buy a tent.

Using your bags etc around the edge to block out the wind can help somewhat too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Ooh! the magnet solution sounds pretty cool. Would you be able to retro fit one to an existing pole? Wouldn’t want my perfectly goo one to go to waste.
Ended up using some bags to block off the worst which kind of worked.
I’ll just get digging in future.
Ta
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 pm Ooh! the magnet solution sounds pretty cool. Would you be able to retro fit one to an existing pole? Wouldn’t want my perfectly goo one to go to waste.
Ended up using some bags to block off the worst which kind of worked.
I’ll just get digging in future.
Ta
I'm intrigued by how the magnet solution works. Pictures needed
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I didn't think to take a picture but I'll try and explain it.

Imagine a standard looking pole with a domed tip at one end. Inside the tip is a tiny magnet. Now imagine a short section of pole that slips over the first to act as an extension. This short section has a sleeve bonded inside to act as a stopper. A second tiny magnet lives on the end of this stopper piece. When you slide the short section over the long pole, the magnets hold the two in place.

Obviously you can pull the two apart easily but the magnets supply enough 'bond' that the sections won't fall apart which hopefully prevents you losing the the extension piece.

Could be retrofitted to an existing pole.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'd be up for an upgrade to my existing Gatewood carbon pole as well if possible. Should I PM you Stu?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd be up for an upgrade to my existing Gatewood carbon pole as well if possible. Should I PM you Stu?
Email's better. You'll need to work out how much 'drop' you'd like. Anything less than 30mm might be awkward.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:10 pm
Email's better. You'll need to work out how much 'drop' you'd like. Anything less than 30mm might be awkward.
Noted. Will do some research and trial pitching and see what would suit me best. Thanks.