Anyone tried a Rockbros illuminated helmet?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Anyone tried a Rockbros illuminated helmet?

Post by Borderer »

Anyone tried one of these? Since getting hit by a car I have been going for the 'full Blackpool' approach to lights, so these wouldn't go amiss. I also tend to chose to walk to the shops instead of take the bike because the faff of constantly removing and refitting lights puts me off, so I thought this would be a neat solution for quick daylight trips. Saw something that said it only weighs 330g....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCKBROS-Ult ... SwM5JZn90t
redefined_cycles

Re: Anyone tried a Rockbros illuminated helmet?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Based on these https://www.amazon.com/ROCK-BROS-Bicycl ... B07PQB74VM reviews for the non-light version, I'd give it a miss .. I doubt the light would last very long either...

I got myself a yellow specialized from Evans once when i forgot my black METs (or Giro) at home once and got to work on train 40 miles away realising 'no helmet'... I've never looked back cos its a proper bright yellow and i reckon gets noticed from further afield...

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Al ... a4QAvD_BwE

There u go... £25 using their voucher code that should flash up at ya whilst browsing the site
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Thanks but I have a pretty good Kask lid already, it was really the lighting option I was interested in.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve just bought my lad yet another helmet( he keeps losing them x( )from planetX, seems really good quality with good fittings and straps. They do a lid in their range with a built in light, might be worth a look.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i have an aldi led for the helmet that is white at the front and red at the rear with helmet strap. I never use it if you want it PM your address and I will post it to you
Its a be seen light not a see with light,

Reflective tape on your cranks and wheels is also really striking in car lights

I have a rockbros frame bag and its decent quality but more aldi* than M & S

EDIT:not sure how much use it is having it right at the front of the helmet especially on a drop bar bike. My Exposure is mounted towards the rear

* nothing against aldi i wear tons of their cycling gear
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

On a dropbar bike those little bar end lights are great, get you a little extra passing room.

Definitely second reflective things, 3M tape and spoke reflectors are extremely effective at often poor side on illumination. Another good tip is blinkers pointing at the ground/ wheels.
I also have red 3M on the inside of my crank arms.

Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I have a MET something or other.
And have an alpkit head torch pretty much permanently attached to it.
If I'm riding in town I set it on flashing.
I think it makes me more visible either side of the A Pillar Blindspot.
Grubby little urchin.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've been tempted by lids like that for commuting, but am always worried about how they're going to behave in a crash. Maybe irrational, but I'm worried that the front light would push through the foam under a direct hit and end up in my forehead
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Looks a decent idea. I've seen some other helmets with an inbuilt light on other commuters. Seems quite good as well

Personally I have a joystick on my helmet with a micro red eye. It lives on the helmet unless it's switched with a diablo. Works great for visibility because it's up high
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hAo1po]Image

Reflective stuff, notice that even with a sinewave beacon (750 lumen) in front and an exposure react light rear (silly bright) that’s it’s still the 3M stuff that we see. Photo was taken with no flash and joystick on low to provide illumination. The spoke reflectors are even more eye catching when rotating, they may look dorky but even if you die young it’s not going to be a beautiful corpse when HGV,s are involved. :-bd

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

My choices are informed not by what I see as a cyclist but by what I see as a driver, often when going to work very early I see some of the night shift people coming home with only cheap blinkers, I see them, but a hi-vis I see from 5 times the distance. If you don’t drive it’s easy to look at you little lights up close and think you’re very visible. 5am with bleary eyes and the street lights etc your not as visible as you think.
I’m not making a case for nob head driving but being in the right is not much help to your family.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

even with a sinewave beacon (750 lumen)
Not when stationary though :wink:
Cracking light mind as I have one

Agree on reflective stuff - i really dnt think you can over do it though it may end up a bit like Tron, I also use drop bar endlights for two reasons

1. It gives some width
2.i can always see them so there is no way I can have no rear lights
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:31 pm i have an aldi led for the helmet that is white at the front and red at the rear with helmet strap. I never use it if you want it PM your address and I will post it to you
Its a be seen light not a see with light,
Nice one thanks, I will give that a go.
PaulE wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:02 pm I've been tempted by lids like that for commuting, but am always worried about how they're going to behave in a crash. Maybe irrational, but I'm worried that the front light would push through the foam under a direct hit and end up in my forehead
:shock: Oh I hadn't thought of that but you are right. I can't unthink it now.

Yeah I should get us more reflective stuff. We don't really ride in built up areas though or even on the road that much at night so I have been a bit lazy with it.

The woman that hit me with her car (just a clip really, I was very lucky) saw me (broad daylight and I was wearing neon yellow) but simply didn't move over at all for me. Not a bit. Sadly there isn't much that can be done for that sort of stupidity. Doesn't hurt to be as visible as poss though for all the other drivers out there who might just be temporarily distracted or have the sun in their eyes or something.

Cheers for all your responses guys.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Blackburn have a just announced some sidelights that sounded interesting for commuting:
https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/grid- ... -light-set
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One of the best things I've ever used is a Pro-viz reflective gilet.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... nding.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:56 am One of the best things I've ever used is a Pro-viz reflective gilet.

https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... nding.html
I sort of want one of these but ideally, I want something that I can pull over whatever I'm wearing that doesn't act as another layer in terms of warmth. Been looking at their running vest for that reason.

I did buy one of these (£5) which I use for commuting. It's proper nerd wear but good because I can pull it on over my backpack so the crossover bit sits over the bag. It seems OK but I dunno... the Pro-viz stuff just seems better.