Hydro brake question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ozboz

Hydro brake question

Post by ozboz »

Hiya, I’ve ordered some SLX M7000 brake callipers , do I need to get the SLX m7000 rotors also ?
I’ve not had a lot of truck with hydro brakes so not quite up to speed ,
Cheers
fatbikephil

Re: Hydro brake question

Post by fatbikephil »

Nope any rotor will do.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

On a related note, when I stopped at my mum's the other week my brother asked why I didn't use Hope discs with my Hope brakes? As he pointed out, the braking surface wasn't wide enough on the shimano disc I have and some of the pad was rubbing on the arm of the disc.

https://flic.kr/p/2hzRDTq

Does anyone have Hope floating discs on their bike and could measure the width of the the braking surface. No point selling a kidney to buy the Hope ones if the braking surface isn't any wider.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

On the subject of discs and braking surfaces - always worth checking that your pad surface is fully below the outer edge of the disc. If not, as your pads wear a step will form in the pads and sooner or later the pads will contact each other without contacting the disc ... not good.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I had that happen to a friend who had fitted a 180mm rotor on some old Hopes that needed a 183mm rotor. Once the pads were touching braking was somewhat compromised :lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Does anyone have Hope floating discs on their bike and could measure the width of the the braking surface
the thickness is 3mm the width depends entirely on whether its a saw tooth or a non saw tooth

Normal non floating- 15 mm
floating round 12mm
floating saw tooth - 17 mm widest 12 mm narrowest
These are not the latest models and will be at least 6 years old probably longer
All are front 180mm I think
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've just been and measured the shimano xt I have and they are 14mm for the breaking surface and the wear on the spokes from the pads would make the braking surface 17mm.

Just measured the pads in my spares box and they are about 15mm but have a slight curve so would leave a mark slightly deeper than this. As I've used about 4 sets of pads up on these discs that might explain the wear being wider as I guess manufacturing tolerances could mean slight differences in the position of the pad.

Think I'll have to start saving for some Hope rotors. I should say there is no issue with the performance of the brakes but I'd like them to be right.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Some shimano rotors are for Resin pads only - durability will suffer if used with sintered pads so worth checking what has arrived in your SLX calipers. And ditto re rotor depth vs pad as the outcome typically involves something proper getting broken when you don't stop!
@philg1971 Instagram
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Hope floating ones definitely catch on some mounts - the rivets make contact . I always solve this with a file to the mount but they dont fit all mounts IME -might have been avids i forget
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

TBH I don't think there's much to quibble about with their standard rotors. Would save some ££ over the floating versions.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:40 pm Hope floating ones definitely catch on some mounts - the rivets make contact . I always solve this with a file to the mount but they dont fit all mounts IME -might have been avids i forget
I've a Hope floating rotor on my fat bike which has Avid BB7s. The rivets catch on the fitting arms of the brake pads not the caliper or mount. Cut the arms down, from memory you just need to cut at the "elbow" which is about 5-6mm from the end of the arm.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Mart

Post by Mart »

On my bikes the Hope floaty rotors used to catch so switched all over to Shimano and its been truly fit and forget
I use 180mm back and front so I can swap over , just in case of mishap
2924 miles per Gallon