On Bikepacking.com

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gregsie

On Bikepacking.com

Post by Gregsie »

Worth a butchers for the pictures if nowt else. https://bikepacking.com/routes/bear-bon ... mid-wales/
Powered by crumpets.
Karl

Re: On Bikepacking.com

Post by Karl »

Just about to post about that but you beat me to it :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Map doesn't seem to include Mach/CAT detour? But yep good stuff though of course and lovely pics especially the posh cakes one :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Second paragraph had me wondering if Stu has a sister called Isla :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

whilst he managed to get many pics of himself in Crikey, how much gear i was disappointed he did not do the full troll and have photos of dangling mugs
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Must've been rushed... They spelt Stu' name wrong... Wrote 'Wight'... Just got as far as 3rd sentence just yet :-bd
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Did my post ^ go over your head Shaf?
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:58 pm Did my post ^ go over your head Shaf?
It did... lol. I did read it but didn't come to me.... but now i do vaguely remember an Isla from the Wights... lol. Lemme investigate :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Saw that
3-4 days
Erm, less than one
96% rideable. :shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

'less than one' - certainly, if you were riding it as 'The BB200 ['ITT']'. Otherwise, sorry to be mildly confrontational, why the rush? "speedsters should sign up to attend the actual event". Look at those lovely photos to see why 4 days might be a good idea :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When bikepacking.com list an ITT route they do promote a very relaxed pace/attitude to riding around it. HT550 in 14 days, Trans-Cambrian in 3 days, their shortened version of the Peak 200 in 3-4 days, Cairngorms Loop in 4 days.

The Capital Trail in 3 days is probably the only one that doesn't suffer a time warp of the UK routes.

P.S. I missed the misspelling of Stu's name so didn't get the "Isla" quip.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:57 pm When bikepacking.com list an ITT route they do promote a very relaxed pace/attitude to riding around it. HT550 in 14 days, Trans-Cambrian in 3 days, their shortened version of the Peak 200 in 3-4 days, Cairngorms Loop in 4 days.

The Capital Trail in 3 days is probably the only one that doesn't suffer a time warp of the UK routes.

P.S. I missed the misspelling of Stu's name so didn't get the "Isla" quip.
"Their shortener version of Peaks200" you say.. I didn't notice that anywhere Bob... good info that is sir :-bd
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I have to say their pictures make it look absolutely stunning! Obviously it is really stunning.

It certainly doesn't evoke my memories of BB200s :lol:

Can't deny the fact that we are very lucky to be able to ride somewhere so beautiful and even luckier that Stu puts together routes that are true gems for us to pit ourselves against.

Thank you Stu and Dee and thank you Wales.

Si
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Those pictures are great ain't they.

I have done one bb200 since starting bikepacking this November last year, but, 95% rideable could be more like 59%, I remember a lot of bog, water and pizza belly climbs out of Barmouth at 11pm. I do also remember trying to ride through half bike deep puddles before that DH track....
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Agreed, lovely pictures. From those it's hard to see what all the BB200ers bloody moan about :wink: :lol: :wink:
faustus

Post by faustus »

I enjoyed it, mainly because it's my favourite territory (or close to it anyway), but I also like what Cass has been doing for a long time. He's no mug-dangling dilettante. Having said that, it's always odd to see it through someone else's camera lens, but they're mighty fine photos. I've not done any BB events, but have ridden much of the route posted. Not sure how much would be enjoyable on a rainy night and lack of sleep...kudos to the BBers!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

5am in the pissing down rain, falling asleep on the bike, cold, wet and full of indigestion is not pictured in those .jpegs, but the scenery (in the day) was stunning - I missed a whole bunch from about 7pm till 7am the next day. Good to see a route up there though!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:11 pm 5am in the pissing down rain, falling asleep on the bike, cold, wet and full of indigestion is not pictured in those .jpegs, but the scenery (in the day) was stunning - I missed a whole bunch from about 7pm till 7am the next day. Good to see a route up there though!
When I did the BB I stopped overnight so I wouldn't miss so much of the scenery. Seemed a shame to drive all that way to ride half of it in the dark :lol: .
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:29 pm Seemed a shame to drive all that way to ride half of it in the dark :lol: .
You have a bit further to come than I do I guess.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Another Welsh ride writeup on there.
https://bikepacking.com/routes/black-mountain-crossing/
A masterclass on screwing up Welsh place names, possibly due to autocomplete culminating in Aberdare being written as Adaware.
Nice pics though.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Both those articles are great. :-bd I like what he's done with the BB200 route.

I never really loook at bikepacking.com so hadn't heard of their "Local Overnighter Project". It will be a decent resource if they get some more routes on there.
RIP

Post by RIP »

That Adaware route area has been on me list for ages, I must move it higher up. Some lovely remote spots. In fact not too far from the 'officially most remote Welsh hill top' which has got to be worth a BaM visit.

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:41 pm That Adaware route area has been on me list for ages, I must move it higher up. Some lovely remote spots. In fact not too far from the 'officially most remote Welsh hill top' which has got to be worth a BaM visit.
I'm guessing that is a bit of autocorrect magic :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye 'twas in the original article :wink: . Although curiously most refs were the correct Aberdare so maybe it is indeed somewhere else entirely :wink: .

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:52 pm Aye 'twas in the original article :wink: . Although curiously most refs were the correct Aberdare so maybe it is indeed somewhere else entirely :wink: .
Hahaha, ace.
Could've been a small Welsh town sponsored by a software company, unlikely, but possible.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish,_Texas