Inner bar ends - Spirgrips?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Inner bar ends - Spirgrips?

Post by benp1 »

Seen a product called spirgrips, they look good, any experience here? https://www.skopre.com/spirgrips/

Alternatively, has anyone found any splittable inner bar ends?
duncdan

Re: Inner bar ends - Spirgrips?

Post by duncdan »

i just use standard stubby bars ends but i mount them inside the brake levers
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Are they splittable? Don't want to have to take my grips off
composite

Post by composite »

On a drop-bar bike I really like climbing on the tops, either side of the stem, and was recently thinking about an alternative way of mounting the handlebar roll so that I could still use that part of the bar.

Maybe having a completely different hand position like this but still be "narrow" around the stem could be the answer.
ootini

Post by ootini »

duncdan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:34 pm i just use standard stubby bars ends but i mount them inside the brake levers
Same here. Lock on grips make it do-able
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

benp1 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:57 pm Are they splittable? Don't want to have to take my grips off

sorry didnt know what you meant by splittable. they are not but as has been mentioned lockon grips make it much easier, i use rockbros lock on on all my bikes now.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

duncdan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:42 am
benp1 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:57 pm Are they splittable? Don't want to have to take my grips off

sorry didnt know what you meant by splittable. they are not but as has been mentioned lockon grips make it much easier, i use rockbros lock on on all my bikes now.
He means that the clamp is hinged so you can just fit the grip wherever you want on the bar rather than having to slide it along the bar to the final position.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yes essentially if not it means removing everything from the bars to fit them -on a road bike this is a big ask to just try them [ replace bar tape and remove the grifters and some cabling as well and then re do just to see if you like them]. This i more than I could be bothered doing to just see if i like them - though I am not even remotely tempted by them.

YMMV
jameso

Post by jameso »

FWIW ... I've used stubby bar-ends inside my brake levers before and really like it for long rides with flat bars. Did my first Alps tour on a slick-tyred MTB with that bar end set up. Only reason I don't use them anymore is H-bars do a better job for my prefs. But on a road bike it doesn't really work ime, I tried it with some stubby cut down tri-bars and the position felt too narrow and short. Neither the stability or leverage of climbing on the top of the bar nor the aero advantage of a longer tri-bar.
My bar bag/roll usually cinches down onto the drop bar in a way that I can't fully grip the top of the bar but it' OK, usually just resting my hands there works, don't need much of an actual grip.
composite

Post by composite »

jameso wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:16 am Neither the stability or leverage of climbing on the top of the bar nor the aero advantage of a longer tri-bar.
Yeah lack of stability was in my mind.
jameso wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:16 am My bar bag/roll usually cinches down onto the drop bar in a way that I can't fully grip the top of the bar but it' OK, usually just resting my hands there works, don't need much of an actual grip.
Was thinking something like this but less distance from the bar. Not really sold but I'm sure there is something in the idea.

Stu, didn't you make something along these lines for your shopper?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Was thinking something like this but less distance from the bar.
I used a couple of foam blocks that came with an Ortlieb bag to get a bit of space, advantage is no rotation problems. Like these Revelate spacers -
survivor

Post by survivor »

I use these https://togs.com/collections/togs-1/pro ... n-mtb-togs

Work perfectly on the rigid for a different hand position. Use them all the time when riding that bike.

Got them from here https://www.comriecroftbikes.co.uk/shop ... ccessories
jameso

Post by jameso »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ergonomic-Bi ... EZYK0zeNCQ

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Nylon ... SwfN5a1bO-

TOGs rip-offs - got a set of the Fouriers version SH on here for the Brompton, work well enough. Not much use on a road bike but for a fiver they're worth a punt. Don't like to support Rip+Duplicaters in China ... the TOGs RRP seemed a bit steep though.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Togs are a good idea if you want to rest your hand on top of the bars, but I like the thumb forward type grip. I use the hoods on my arkose commuter most of the time, and I really like the cane creek bar ends on my MTB (yes I run bar ends!).

The bar ends are (obviously) at either end of relatively wide bars so something narrower would be great. I sometimes use the gap between stem and levers as a hand position but if I run a bar bag (a revelate harness with the spacers) my hands don't fit quite as well. Don't want to go down the tri bars route and also don't want to faff with taking off my ESI grips. So a splittable inner bar end seemed like a good solution that would solve the problem well