Another noobie saying hi

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Another noobie saying hi

Post by Shewie »

Hi :-bd

Joined a couple of weeks ago and have been reading through the previous posts and absorbing lots of good info and enjoying the bants

I've recently bought a bike (2nd hand Genesis Caribou) having not really ridden for over twenty five years, I can feel the pain already and I've only done a couple of laps of the back garden. I already do quite a lot of lightweight backpacking in the Lakes, Scotland and Wales so have most of the kit assembled already, I just need to work out how I'm going to load a bike for multiday trips., currently looking at Restrap bags

Bike technology has progressed so much since I was last riding so it''s a bit of minefield trying to get my head around the current offerings and jargon, my early 90's Raliegh Technium Chill was quite advanced at the time with it's Deore thumb shifters and ally frame.

Looking forward to getting involved and making some new acquaintances, I already recognise a few names from other places

Rich
Escape Goat

Re: Another noobie saying hi

Post by Escape Goat »

Welcome!!

It was well worth proof reading the forum to check we are not all insane.
... We are.

Hope to see you at the winter event in Jan!!
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:43 am Welcome!!

It was well worth proof reading the forum to check we are not all insane.
... We are.

Hope to see you at the winter event in Jan!!
Thanks for the welcome

I'm not sure I'm quite ready for any events just yet, I'll most likely be plodding along on the granny ring for a while
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That's what the winter event is for. That was my very first event this year. Before then I've only slept by the beach.

Its a gentle plod and Waffle talk.

Plus beer at the Starr Inn....
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:23 am That's what the winter event is for. That was my very first event this year. Before then I've only slept by the beach.

It does sound like fun and probably a nice introduction, I'll see how the training goes in the meantime :smile:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Shewie wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:12 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:23 am That's what the winter event is for. That was my very first event this year. Before then I've only slept by the beach.

It does sound like fun and probably a nice introduction, I'll see how the training goes in the meantime :smile:

If by training you mean, practicing drinking beer and talking rubbish, you'll be fine!! 🤘
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hello Shewie... don't forget I'm just down the road from you if evee you planned to start BAM (bivvy a month) and wanted some (non public house veering) company :-bd I also have a few nice routes straight from mine but we could always meet up somewhere mutually close.

I'm at Dewsbury :-bd
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:16 pm Hello Shewie... don't forget I'm just down the road from you if evee you planned to start BAM (bivvy a month) and wanted some (non public house veering) company :-bd I also have a few nice routes straight from mine but we could always meet up somewhere mutually close.

I'm at Dewsbury :-bd
That's good to know thanks, it'd be good to meet up sometime :-bd

I've been doing a kind of BAM myself since 2005, not quite 100% but almost, usually on top of a mountain though. Fortunately my wife gives me a pass out each month otherwise I get all narky. I work compressed hours these days so get a nice 4 day weekend every other week.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Also, this is what we do at winter:

https://youtu.be/1RvyFtXS8cE
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:34 pm Also, this is what we do at winter:

https://youtu.be/1RvyFtXS8cE
Looks good, until that steep hike-a-bike section, what with my 17kg fatty and a similar load weight on top, I reckon I’ll be blowing

Is there a ski lift nearby? :o
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Haha the hileabike was added in for me as I wanted to experience some steepness. Above that hikeabike is a perfectly perfect c road that you can ride on instead of this...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye, welcome t'madhouse. Good for you for sticking with it even after reading some of our posts! The BaM thread is a good intro - although I'm reminded of my comment a while ago that it will only confirm your best dreams (or possibly best drams in the case of our Scots/Scottish(?) contingent) AND your worst nightmares :-bd .

I misread your forum name and initially thought it was the rather courageous 'SheWee' which would have been quite appropriate in This Place :smile: .

May all your slugs be slimey and giant ones.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:58 pm 'SheWee'
Proceed with caution, you won't be warned again. We are a stange bunch... And you can't leave now, not ever.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

:lol:

Oh dear, what have I let myself in for lol

Thanks for the warm welcome folks
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Welcome.

Thought I recognised the username and just realised I'd seen it on trek-lite.com :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Talking of slugs - I was going to apologise (**) for derailing the thread as usual but then realised that obviously slugs feature in EVERY thread whether overtly (*) or just subliminally - I forgot to mention in my BaM post that my slug-deficient first night was made up for on the third night by waking at barmy o'clock and finding one inside my sock which was inside my bam leggings which were inside my sleeping bag which was on top of my Winterlite which was 'inside' my tarp. Persistent little bugger, I didn't have the heart to evict him/her.

I presume slugs are the softy southern equivalent of Scottish midges.

Quiz question: where's the most amusing place you've found a slug? First prize is a salt cellar. Only jokin', I love 'em really.

(*) an' if they don't, you ain't doin' it prop'ly

(**) I know I know, why start now eh Reg? Gimme a topic and with all speed I'll follow it to its illogical conclusion. No point otherwise.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I once got well and truly slugged on a beach bivvy near St Abbs, I would’ve thought the sand would put them off but the bag was covered in slime trails the next morning, I may have inhaled a few too but I guess I’ll never know
RIP

Post by RIP »

On a beach? Good effort. Maybe they were some sort of salt-water slug? A sea-slug in fact! Which aren't really slugs though. They can't be 'cos salt kills land slugs. Or maybe the water prevents dehydration. Hmm, this needs further investigation.

middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Welcome :-bd and don't worry about the granny ring if you ever end up riding with me, reg and a few others you'll see we don't understand what that bigger ring is used for unless we're running late for pub or food :wink:
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:57 pm On a beach? Good effort. Maybe they were some sort of salt-water slug? A sea-slug in fact! Which aren't really slugs though. They can't be 'cos salt kills land slugs. Or maybe the water prevents dehydration. Hmm, this needs further investigation.
sea snails?
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:57 pm On a beach? Good effort. Maybe they were some sort of salt-water slug? A sea-slug in fact! Which aren't really slugs though. They can't be 'cos salt kills land slugs. Or maybe the water prevents dehydration. Hmm, this needs further investigation.
It was those big black horrible looking things, it was a nice camp though, apart from melting the sole on one of my trail shoes
RIP

Post by RIP »

'horrible looking things' - beauty is in the eye of the beholder :smile: . Actually I might have to concede this one :smile: .

PS. "melting the sole.." Now that's the opening for a story if ever there was one ... :-bd

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Shewie wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:15 pm
Oh dear, what have I let myself in for
RIP

Post by RIP »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Anyone care to help the gentleman/gentlewoman out here? What indeed. A whole world of trouble I would suggest?

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:04 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Anyone care to help the gentleman/gentlewoman out here? What indeed. A whole world of trouble I would suggest?
Not sure I’ve figured it out myself yet, ‘it’s fun tho.

Although thinking it’s a new kind of ‘normal’ of which my wife enquires ‘and you enjoy that then?’ Hopefully you’ll be lead hopelessly astray :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark