Hello

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gelfy

Hello

Post by gelfy »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum.
I'm looking to do a little bikepacking in the UK in the future, so will probably by after some advice etc.

I have several bikes but will probably be using my Orange RX9 Pro...... I do have an ebike but dont want to be worrying about battery range.

My 1st issue is finding a lightweight tent that I'll fit in as I'm 6'3" tall. I've googled tents for tall people but has anyone got any recommendations? I've £300 to spend.

Thank you

gelf
middleagedmadness

Re: Hello

Post by middleagedmadness »

Probably not as lightweight as your looking for but have a look at Stu's review of the exped ,if it's good enough for him to review a tent then it's worth a look if it's definitely a tent your after :-bd
Oh and welcome
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hello there :grin:

There's one or two taller chaps frequent these parts, Benp1 is one such so he and others should be able to advise on suitable accommodation.

Might be worth searching the forums - the search function does work - but I'm not sure what you'd actually search for that wouldn't return 500 hits.

Edit: might be worth starting a thread about the tent in the General banter area with a more relevant subject title.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

gelfy wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 pm Hello,
I'm new to the forum.
My 1st issue is finding a lightweight tent that I'll fit in as I'm 6'3" tall. I've googled tents for tall people but has anyone got any recommendations? I've £300 to spend.
Thank you
gelf
Welcome to the group Gelf.
I'm 6'3" too - I use a Lunar Solo (some think this is tight but I find it OK for the weight) and will be well within your budget.
I also have a Hilleberg Akto that I use in the winter or when weather forecasts may be worse - again not massive and works OK for me with a winter bag and mat. Won't be cheap though. All a compromise between weight, space and quality/robustness.
I have been meaning to try a Trailstar or copy with an inner (I hate bugs/getting bitten)… looks like a great space/weight/flexibility/bug proof solution and I understand can cope with pretty much any weather we'd be out in.
Hope that Helps, Mark
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hello Gelf and welcome...

Cant help with tall peoples tents but when I first joined the forum I picked myself up a cheap Goretex bivvy bag. It weighs about 900g and does a terrific job. Its very flappy around me and I'm 5ft10... should be just fine for a 6ft3 so if you wished to borrow that until you gets sorted then feel free to just ask and I can send it forth...

Shafiq
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Warmest welcome to this rabble of people that shouldn't be allowed to mix.

I'm 6ft 1 and use a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. There's enough room to swing my cat in it. I don't have a cat, or listen to swing, but you get the idea.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Hi. I'm 6'4" and have a Trekkertent Stealth 1 heading my way. I'll let you know on sizing. They do a larger Stealth 1.5 too. Sub 1Kg and well wishing budget.
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Hi, im 6'2 and went from a small one man tent to the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 man tent.

Ok its a bit more than your budget, but its like a hotel, and very light.

Im not compromising on space any more, i like to site up and get changed without being cramped. plus i can always take my kids with me now too...

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10890
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 for the Copper Spur - we've got one and with the added footprint it comes to 1500g so that's just 750g each on the bike. Not cheap but it's the light, quality, cheap pick any two conundrum. As with Alex I like to sit up and even tents like the MSR Hubba series are just a bit too low for me at 5' 11" but the Copper Spur is fine.

It does depend on what you want from a tent and not all tents of a given weight may match your needs.

A slightly different approach might be a shaped tarp like the SMD Gatewood allied with an inner tent (SMD do the Serenity), that gives you a flexible approach: tarp and inner to give you a "tent" but you could use just the tarp and a lightweight bivy bag if you want to go lighter/more compact. The overall weight of Gatewood and Serenity is similar to the Lunar Solo mentioned earlier. You'd need a pole and pegs for either the Lunar Solo or Gatewood and the quoted weights don't include these.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry