Bikehike alternative?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Bikehike alternative?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, Komoot is an odd one. I installed and used it on my phone while in a pub in Braemar and found it very useful and easy to use. I tried it on my PC when I got home and struggled to make it do what I wanted. I really need to give the route editing another go. I like the fact it uses OSM (and has some knowledge of the track surfaces etc). That way, when I add stuff to OSM, it appears soon afterwards in Komoot.

I was sent a discounted "all regions" code (£20 IIRC) but didn't use it at the time and it has since lapsed.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Komoot will send you along footpaths as it doesn't seem to pick up trail status. Less of a problem in a more civilised nation such as Scotland I guess....
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I'm currently using Basecamp, with Talkytoaster maps, and find it just as good as Bikehike (although it's sad to see 'enthusiast' sites struggle to survive)

The Talkytoaster maps also work on my Garmin Etrex Touch (and a lot of others, I believe) so the on screen experience is the same between PC and GPS.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This is important if you are creating Routes and not Tracks. If you've different maps installed on PC and device then changes can occur that you're not expecting.
techno

Post by techno »

htrider wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:54 pm
techno mail wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 pm
htrider wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:14 pm I thought Bikehike had switched to OSM, but it looks like its still trying to connect to google, hence the message - hopefully just a case of the owner doing some coding tweaks?
It worked really well (unlike viewranger which is rubbish at plotting routes and shows every single waypoint as a flag which obscures the map!) so I'd happily pay a subscription if it was reasonable.....
When I was playing with viewranger earlier it didn't look like that. Just squares on the line quite neat. Maybe it's a preference?
Could well be (operator error!) but I'm damned if I can work out how to change it....
You're right; when I imported a gpx file I got nice unobtrusive squares at every turn, but when you draw in a route it puts a flag on every one.
I can't find the preferences to change this. Arse!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'm not getting that in the app or in a browser.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I use memory maps, its great but like os you have to pay for it... its been worth every penny i use it loads.
techno

Post by techno »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:51 pm I'm not getting that in the app or in a browser.
i don't in the app either.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Seems to be working again - the previous google error message comes up but if you press OK it disappears and you've got the OSM map up. :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

htrider wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:00 pm Seems to be working again - the previous google error message comes up but if you press OK it disappears and you've got the OSM map up. :-bd
Ace!