Washing a down bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jack

Washing a down bag

Post by Jack »

I've got a down bag that's overdue a wash (Pipedream 400) and could do with some advice. Got the below options:
  • Wash at home with down wash in either the washing machine or handwash in the bath, but I don't currently have a tumble drier, and as far as I'm aware a tennis ball and low heat are the best way to dry/stop the down clumping?
  • As above but dry at the launderette round the corner using a larger tumble drier? Might not be able to get low temp?
  • Just send it off to be washed, save the risk of knackering it. If so has anyone got any companies to recommend?
Or am I over thinking and should just whack it in the washing machine and fluff it by hand as it dries at home?

Cheers all.
redefined_cycles

Re: Washing a down bag

Post by redefined_cycles »

Wash at home but on gentle wash... only to save laundry costs... take arpund 6 quid to laundrette with 3 tennis balls and use the largest dryer... should be done in around 40 mins.

Then get home and whack on air near dehumidifier. Mine (PHD minimus) plumpee up nicely after roughly going theough that cycle.

Just be careful handling the bag whilst wet as it can be said to be a bit fragile with all that weight
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

NB. It is somewhat of a military operation and who knows if getting done professionally is less hassle. Was ok doing like above for me
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

If you want it done professionally message reg ,he uses some company up north I think and really rates them
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you do DIY it be careful how you handle it when wet / damp as you can fairly easily rip the internal baffles ... cradle it in your arms like a baby, puppy, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

I've used this south Cumbria company and really rate them. http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk ... /index.htm
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

Ive always diy'd it. Washed it in the machine, in the bath, in a bucket, with normal non bio, down wash, dried it on the line, on the shower rail, in the tumble dryer, with and without tennis balls. It still seems to survive inspite of my not having a clue.

Store it under the bed not in a bag for a few weeks seems to unclump any stubborn bits as it dries out completely.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Very helpful, think I'll go with the washing machine and then the launderette dryer and a low heat. Thanks!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In the down wash kits you get these spiked plastic balls to put in the dryer to break up the clumps. They are (as far as I can tell) the same as the ones you get as dog toys for a fraction of the cost. This sort of thing

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger