Carbon Seat Posts

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Carbon Seat Posts

Post by Mariner »

Looking around for a Thomson Elite seat post (27.2x410 setback black since you ask) and notice that Carbon Seat posts are available at much lower costs and probably quality(?).
Is anyone running a Stooge with a Carbon seat post? The Stooge always looks particularly short in the seat tube and therefore has a lot of exposed seat post. Is there a maximum length a carbon seat post can be exposed before you are in danger of getting reamed by a failure?
Any recommendations for Carbon Seat Posts with the proviso that it will probably include attaching a seat harness to it at some stage?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
redefined_cycles

Re: Carbon Seat Posts

Post by redefined_cycles »

A str9ng and comfy/well built one is what you want Mariner... in order of preference (IMO) I'd be looking at the Rose and Ritchey ones. Weights not silly low so should (will God-Willing) be strong enoigh, and thye get good reviews in the comfy dept too.

I'm running the Canyon carbon/granite seatpost with similar weights to the above and can say its both comfy (and vaguely exciting) and has hadthe 17L Ortlieb attached to it at time (full to the brim)...
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

I have had the alloy top of a carbon post fail in the bonding on the last WRT. It meant that my saddle could spin 360 degrees on the post. not helpful with a 17l pack on. That was th ed Carbon Kinesis post for ref. Lucky for me there was a bike shop within 10miles so i could buy a cheap alloy one.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I mostly use carbon posts. The only seatpost I've ever had fail was an alloy one :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have a cheap BrandX carbon post on my Sonder Camino. I decided to try it to see whether it would damp out road/trail vibrations rather than to save weight (it's heavier than a lot of lightweight alloy posts). So far so good, it does make a noticeable difference to comfort on an alloy frame. When I use the Camino for bike packing I'll wrap the post with something to protect it from abrasion from the straps on my seat bag. I'm not sure whether I'd want to run a budget carbon post on a mountain bike though (but then I have droppers on all my mountain bikes anyway).