Padded shorts: yay, or nay?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Do you use padded shorts for long rides?

Yay
77%
Nay
23%

Total votes: 61
In Reverse

Re: Padded shorts: yay, or nay?

Post by In Reverse »

Richard G wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:52 am
Wotsits wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:25 am Gore do a really good padded short (not a bib) for hot weather.
I think the key is getting something that's designed to be an underlayer so that it's massively ventilated (and possibly indecent if worn as an outerlayer). Stick normal MTB shorts over a standard roadie bib and things are definitely going to get sweaty.
This is the nub of it for me. The best inners I have for long rides are both a sort of mesh fabric that offers pretty much zero heat retention. One came with a pair of Alpinestars shorts, not sure about the other.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got some endura liner bibs that are pretty indecent if worn without baggies - the legs are pretty much just a translucent mesh with a modesty panel front and back. About the only time they've been even mildly uncomfortable was after 10 hours of rain last October but by that point everything was uncomfortable.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Strangely I don't wear padded shorts for bikepacking, but sometimes do for commuting

I don't find padded shorts to be any real benefit to me, so I'm happy not to wear them on bikepacking rides as they're not the most flattering of things and popping to the toilet is a right pain

I often wear them for commuting as I throw them on, do the ride and then shower the other end. Then repeat on the way home. Bibs are very comfy and on a short run aren't a faff. Although I spent most of this summer wearing some normal shorts and boxers for the commute
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Worn padded shorts with a well padded saddle on many multi hour rides without issue but on a few hot days this year and last, I've had problems, which just confirms what the no padded short types are saying. Following another thread on this earlier this year I gave no padded shorts a go, just had a pair of snug fitting boxers on under baggy shorts and it worked well. I'm going to try it more this winter as carrying a couple of pairs of lightweight boxers on a multi day trip means you can wash one pair whilst wearing the other, not as convenient (or as light!) with padded shorts.

On a related note recommendations for a pair of long baggy shorts that have minimal chaffage welcome!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I’ve got on well with Troy Lee Designs Skyline shorts, mainly for their well vented panels on the front of the legs and the fabric has a nice feel that doesn’t chafe.
techno

Post by techno »

htrider wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:39 pm On a related note recommendations for a pair of long baggy shorts that have minimal chaffage welcome!
I've always got on really well with my endura humvee shorts and some royal racing ones which I don't know the model of.
jameso

Post by jameso »

A small survey group and skewed by riding type, but less one-sided in favour of padded undershorts or std lycra cycling shorts than I thought it would be.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m kind of intrigued to try riding without pads but I always used to think that about flat pedals till I tried them and didn’t like it one bit... Loosing skin off my shins is one thing but off my under carriage is altogether another :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A small survey group and skewed by riding type, but less one-sided in favour of padded undershorts or std lycra cycling shorts than I thought it would be.
A slow, steady change of attitude taking place I think James. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I always wear padded shorts for riding. Sometimes don't bother for commuting, and that is when I tend to get saddle sores.

If you're getting too sweaty then ditch the baggies over the top.
bigtalljohn

Post by bigtalljohn »

Feel as though I've learnt too much personal info about people on this thread, I used to ride 10 hours a day 5 days a week and race at the weekend (despatch rider) always used padded shorts and kept things clean is the key. Cycling less nowadays so wear points not as tough as used to be and not all shorts are made equal in terms of comfort.
At my age you would think I would be very wise, but alas still stupid enough to get into trouble
composite

Post by composite »

jameso wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:30 pm A small survey group and skewed by riding type, but less one-sided in favour of padded undershorts or std lycra cycling shorts than I thought it would be.
This forum has always been niche. :wink:

Well except for those bars that Gairy posted recently. :o
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

As a user of both padded lycra shorts and conventional underwear, I've given this topic some thought. The answer is, it's all about matching the right clothing for you with the right saddle. Examples from my experience of multi-day rides:

With padded shorts I've never found the soggy nappy thing applicable. I rode the Divide wearing Gore bibs (just the one pair) on a B17 Imperial (I really do need the cutout). Happy days. However, use the B17 Imperial with normal undies and the cutout pinches in not a nice way, I find a C17 Carved works well. Well enough for a two week tour this year wearing normal undies and normal shorts.

Then there's the wrong padded shorts. I love the extra warmth that Endura MT500 bibs give, the pad however is possibly the worst thing ever invented. I'll wear them for a day, not consecutive days it's too painful. So same as usual, it's a matter of matching your backside and underwear to the saddle.

My everyday undies are Under Armour 15cm Boxerjock, I have lots of these. I bought a pair of Bamboo sports trunks as recommended on here and have ridden in them extensively. They're thick and comfy but very slow drying, more "soggy nappy" than any of my lycra padded bibs, but still good. I used the Bamboo undies on a two week tour this summer, despite the very warm temperatures they were damp every morning, from sweat not washing, even my cheapest £30 bibs dry a lot faster. Testing at home and I reckon they need twice the drying time of the Under Armours. They are comfy though.

I'm B19 Carved curious.