Kinesis Tripster

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nicjh

Kinesis Tripster

Post by nicjh »

In the market for a new gravel bike, keep staring at a kinesis tripster online. No local dealers in the north. Don't know anyone who owns one. Does anyone have any experience/ opinion of this bike? :grin:
benp1

Re: Kinesis Tripster

Post by benp1 »

I think there are a couple of owners here, Jase/Wotsits has one as an example

There are quite a few owners in STW if you're after some user reviews
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

I love my Tripster. Great for mixed terrain, commuting, bikepacking or whatever really. I have a MK1 Tripster ATR. The MK2 version has some nice improvements, or so I've read.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I had the v2 one but sold it to help fund an open up. for gravel it was great. someone i know mentioned they miggtbe selling the v1 they had if you want me to find out details?
nicjh

Post by nicjh »

Thanks for replies guys. We're they noticeably light or heavy? And yeah if there's one around 2nd hand I might be interested depending on size etc :-bd
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

If its a Ti one, be weary, i have snapped two of the Racelight Ti's. The new one is now made in a different factory so hopfully will be better quality. But buy second hand Ti, and it snaps you have no warranty to fall back on. The new ones now have a 5yr warranty over the old one which was 3 years.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Another very contented ATR V1 owner here. My LBS built it up using my own choice of parts, including Fyxation carbon forks with double cage bosses, three years ago. In that time I've used it almost exclusively off-road and on a few bikepacking trips and had no problems at all. Re the weight: Can't tell you what it weighs but it works for me. For what it's worth, I recall reading in a review somewhere that the Sonder Camino Ti is lighter.
Last edited by JimmyG on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I've got a mk1 Ti. Absolutely love it.
Run it with both 700 and 650's for more off road work and it's never missed a beat. Very comfortable and in 700 guise weighs in at 19lb.
No problems with durability even after I stuffed it into a wooden fence post yesterday at close to 20mph. Bike came off better than me 🙄🤣
Trackthighs

Post by Trackthighs »

I’ve an Tripster AT and love it. :-bd
I’m running WTB exposures on hunt wheels, Ritchey flared bars, 105 groupset. I could ride it all day - oh hang on! I have ridden it all day! And I still love it!
The only problem I’ve had is because it’s internal cabling - I have to take the BB out to change the front mech cable! So as long as you’re more trendy than me and have a 1x you’re on a winner
Image240BFF1D-CC36-4FC9-8243-EF3E01138D33 by Ian Sheppard, on Flickr
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've got one with a road biased build. It's a lovely bike no doubt, rides great on & off road, so i think they got the geometry nailed for its intended use. The only thing that put me off buying was the (at the time) measly 3 year warranty. Although i have had an unrelated good warranty experience with Upgrade Bikes..
I think the V1 stood out at the time, but there's quite a few similar (& cheaper) options now..
The sizing of the V1 & V2 is also known for being an issue, there's a thread on Singletrack that goes through this so is well worth a read..

Where about 'in the North' are you nic?
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
nicjh

Post by nicjh »

I'm in Leeds. Going through the Midlands and down to Devon at the weekend so gonna try to view one at epic cycles... if i can get an appointment??? Strange set up that.
And I definitely don't want 1x for bike packing! Okay on the mtb but the 1x gearing options just don't work for me on a gravel bike :-bd
Trackthighs

Post by Trackthighs »

Mine is a strange set up? :cry:
Why??
Curious now what weirdness have I bought upon my self?? :shock:
I’m just south of Bromsgrove if you’re passing through - GRX chain set and a pair of mechs arrived to day so will be slightly different for the weekend
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've had a V2 ATR in 58cm for a couple of years now - it's a keeper. It's not carbon light, but doesn't feel heavy, especially riding it. Super comfy and well mannered but fun - no skittering about in the rough stuff. I've got both 700x40 and 650x52mm wheels/tyres. Build in Di2 flavour, Ultegra/XT rear mech and 11x42 cassette, 36T Absolute Black. 36T! - I know, but the Lakes are steep and I load the bike up to go elsewhere. Not racing either.
EDIT - I like how the luggage just polishes the frame up, while others worry about their paint/lacquer :grin:
robbie

Post by robbie »

Atr v1 for sale that a guy I know has

60cm frame
Shimano 105 11 speed with smaller front chainrings for touring and a 11-32 rear cassette (still have original 105 compact chainrings if required instead)
Shimano R875 hydro brakes and levers
Hand built by 'Just Riding Along wheel builders' - Black H Plus Son Archetype rims onto Grey Hope Pro 2 hubs and Dt Swiss silver spokes with brass nipples
Schwalbe Marathon Plus touring tyres (also have 40mm WTB Nano tubeless ready tyres if required instead)
Full black SKS Longboard mud guards (I can remove if required)
Charge Spoon titanium saddle
Titanium seatpost
Titanium seat post clamp
Black Planet X stem and bars with Black Lizard Skin bar tape