Gearing problems?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Max Effort

Gearing problems?

Post by Max Effort »

I've recently picked up a used On-One Inbred 29er and I'm generally very pleased with it, apart from the gears...
The previous owner has fitted a single 32T chain ring and a SLX 11-speed 11-46 cassette. The rear mech is a SLX RD-M7000-11.
The problem is that when its in the lowest gear, the top jockey wheel is only just making contact with the chain and its making a pretty unattractive rattling noise!
I've tried fiddling with the B-screw, but if I adjust it to suit the lowest gear, the mech hits the cassette when I change to the next gear up!
I think, this cassette may be beyond the range of the mech?
Any ideas how to fettle this?
Different cassette or mech? Mech extender thingy?
Thanks in advance for the help 🙂👍
dlovett

Re: Gearing problems?

Post by dlovett »

IT should work according to the Shimano specs.

Low sprocket_Max. 42T(2x11-speed), 46T(1x11-speed)

Have you checked the hanger is straight?

I would do that first, then check the chain length is correct and then set the mech up again from scratch.

If after all that, it's still playing up, then it's head scratching time.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/um/UM-5XZ0A-005-00-ENG.pdf
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are the parts actually in good condition?
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shimano are somewhat conservative with their stated mech capacities but that mech and cassette should be fine - my wife has the same on her Stooge.

As Duncan notes, start with the mech hanger alignment though usually it affects indexing rather than cassette clearance.

From
when it's in the lowest gear, the top jockey wheel is only just making contact with the chain and its making a pretty unattractive rattling noise
That sounds more like indexing - when you've the lowest gear selected look at the whole drivetrain from the rear, the guide jockey wheel should be directly beneath the cog, if it's sitting between lowest and second lowest then you need to adjust the high stop screw to let the cage move over a bit.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

dlovett wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:14 pm IT should work according to the Shimano specs.

Low sprocket_Max. 42T(2x11-speed), 46T(1x11-speed)

Have you checked the hanger is straight?

I would do that first, then check the chain length is correct and then set the mech up again from scratch.

If after all that, it's still playing up, then it's head scratching time.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/um/UM-5XZ0A-005-00-ENG.pdf
Apparently it was all done at his LBS.
All looks fine. All gears indexing smoothly.
I think I’ll check again!
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:21 pm Are the parts actually in good condition?
Cassette and mech are brand new!
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

whitestone wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:27 pm Shimano are somewhat conservative with their stated mech capacities but that mech and cassette should be fine - my wife has the same on her Stooge.

As Duncan notes, start with the mech hanger alignment though usually it affects indexing rather than cassette clearance.

From
when it's in the lowest gear, the top jockey wheel is only just making contact with the chain and its making a pretty unattractive rattling noise
That sounds more like indexing - when you've the lowest gear selected look at the whole drivetrain from the rear, the guide jockey wheel should be directly beneath the cog, if it's sitting between lowest and second lowest then you need to adjust the high stop screw to let the cage move over a bit.
Done all that and it’s indexing smoothly
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think this thread needs pictures. One with the system in the lowest gear (46T) and one in the next gear, taken from the side.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Has the LBS managed to fit a Direct Mount mech by mistake?

As Bob says, photos would help.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:02 pm Has the LBS managed to fit a Direct Mount mech by mistake?
A quick search shows that the mech is standard mount but direct mount compatible.

Edit: The drawings on this page - https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technolo ... lleur.html - show the difference. So if you mount a mech that has the B-link on a direct mount hanger then the mech will sit too far back from the cassette. Conversely if you mount a mech without the B-link on a standard hanger then it will sit too close to the cassette.
Last edited by whitestone on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Here’s a photo in the lowest gear:
Attachments
CED1AC90-FE4F-4901-9C93-73D24BF99B63.jpeg
(79.17 KiB) Downloaded 1962 times
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

Here’s one in the second lowest gear:
Attachments
290C3044-6854-4A7C-9209-259AA85FF773.jpeg
(75.2 KiB) Downloaded 1960 times
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Is your chain the right length ,last time I had the mech at that angle was when I chopped a chain a couple of links too short not paying attention :oops:
techno

Post by techno »

middleagedmadness wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm Is your chain the right length ,last time I had the mech at that angle was when I chopped a chain a couple of links too short not paying attention :oops:
Exactly my thought, Looks like the chain may need an extra link to me.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ah, I see the problem!

The solution is to move house thereby getting a different LBS :lol:

The chain is routed through the jockey wheel cage incorrectly! Look at the first photo, the chain should run to the back/outside of the cage. That's why it isn't engaging the guide jockey wheel. The rattling noise is from the chain rubbing over the tab that sits in that part of the cage.

Hopefully the chain is fitted with a master link so it's a quick job to split, rethread and put back together.
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:37 pm Ah, I see the problem!

The solution is to move house thereby getting a different LBS :lol:

The chain is routed through the jockey wheel cage incorrectly! Look at the first photo, the chain should run to the back/outside of the cage. That's why it isn't engaging the guide jockey wheel. The rattling noise is from the chain rubbing over the tab that sits in that part of the cage.

Hopefully the chain is fitted with a master link so it's a quick job to split, rethread and put back together.
Well spotted Bob,, correct routing:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chain derailment prevention plate eh? So that's what it's called.

Not that I've ever routed a chain incorrectly, no, not me :???: :oops:
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:46 pm Chain derailment prevention plate eh? So that's what it's called.

Not that I've ever routed a chain incorrectly, no, not me :???: :oops:
Nor I, honest :shock:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Putting mine back on properly was on the list of jobs to do today, but when I went to do it I had actually fitted it the right way for once.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Try a goat link too if there isn't one fitted
I had similar set up (but with a 44t Cassette) and I think it helped get the mech in a better position
certainly much less B screw adjustment needded
2924 miles per Gallon
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

I’ve just dropped the bike off at my LBS. He said straight away that the chain was far too short! Fitting a longer one should do the trick, but as this sized cassette is right on the limit of that mech’s capacity, it may also need a mech extender.
I’ve just sent him a message to ask him to check if the chain is routed properly.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Max Effort wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 pm I’ve just dropped the bike off at my LBS. He said straight away that the chain was far too short! Fitting a longer one should do the trick, but as this sized cassette is right on the limit of that mech’s capacity, it may also need a mech extender.
I’ve just sent him a message to ask him to check if the chain is routed properly.
It should not need a mech extender.
Max Effort

Post by Max Effort »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm
Max Effort wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 pm I’ve just dropped the bike off at my LBS. He said straight away that the chain was far too short! Fitting a longer one should do the trick, but as this sized cassette is right on the limit of that mech’s capacity, it may also need a mech extender.
It should not need a mech extender.
To be fair, he did say that. It’s no problem if it does though. I’d rather pay a bit extra to get things running smoothly 🙂👍
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

middleagedmadness wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm Is your chain the right length ,last time I had the mech at that angle was when I chopped a chain a couple of links too short not paying attention :oops:
I was gonna say that the chain looks too short... Good you said it before me cos you're smarter and wiser (see what I did there)... check the chain Max Effort... should be able to snap it csrefully at the removable link section... if it doesnt remove then a plier at an angle is your friend and if still not then a chain link tool thingy...

You said bout local bike shop: doesnt mean it was a competent mechsnic nor they didnt just make an honest mistake... but thay angle doesn't look right and shoukd have at least some sort of slackness in that mech...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Good you said it before me cos you're smarter and wiser (see what I did there).....
Nah ,I just don't have a great attention span so got really good at remembering when I've f#cked up so I don't do it again :wink: