Which GPS?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Which GPS?

Post by Chew »

Thinking of getting a GPS system (BB200 in mind) and interested in what other people use.

Looking for OS mapping
Reasonable cost/size/functions
Battery life
valleydaddy

Re: Which GPS?

Post by valleydaddy »

well I recently got a second Adventurer 2800

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/adventurerg ... r2800.html

I am still trying to get to grips with it, to be honest I haven't tried that hard.

I need to get it sorted I think.

For the WRT Steve used a Garmin unit just to pull up the grid reference to check where we were on occasions it wasn't totally clear to us.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Heard some poor reviews of the Memory Map. Like the Garman, but dont think you can change the battery, so it rules out use for multi day rides
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

yes you are right but you can get a battery pack for the MM but I wouldn't have it on like a satnav really as thats no fun.

I did see one guy at the WRT with a mini solar panel on his bags to top up his GPS so you could look into that idea too ;)
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Garmin Oregon works by AA batteries.
The Dakota also works on AA's I believe.
Both have 1:50000 base maps on.
For multi day they're both ideal.
I have the Oregon fwiw.
Bigface0_0

Post by Bigface0_0 »

I've got an edge 705 which will give you grid reference and a basic map and for multi days I've got a power monkey for charging gps and my phone which has full memory maps on if needed
BIKE RACING IS LIKE HAVING A MULLET, BUSINESS UP THE FRONT, PARTY IN THE BACK…!!!
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

I have a Garmin GPS60, and a old GPS Foretrex 101. Wouldn't buy a GPS unit that requires charging, no good for extended trips. This has been reinforced by my Forerunner 405, using it's battery up in 7 hours. Wouldn't bother with maps either, plot routes on MM or online and then transfer route to GPS, the more gizmo's the shorter the battery life. I do think the proximity alert feature for waypoints is a great feature for riding though.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Liking both the Garmin Oregon and Dakota.

Any real difference?
Screens bigger on the Oregon it uses more power, and its a tad more expensive. Apart from that they seem identical?