Best flat pedals?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Best flat pedals?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Tried out my new walking boots over the weekend with a 160 miles roading... Everything held up well (although if someone can explain to me why Vibram soles still feel as slippery on the newer boots as they were originally :???: ) and after 26H of wearing the boots continuously, the feet came out as fresh as a daisy!...

I realised though (which I probably already knew) that the HT pao1 (or summat) plastic flatties ain't gonna cut it with them boots on the offroads... so need summat with more grip.

I've mainly only ever used flat FiveTens and these were with DMRs... should I just got with another set of DMR V12s (cheap and cheerful nowadays) or are these gonna slip cos I'm not on Five10s ?

The boots gonna I've got are some on the cheap Arcteryx to be used this weekend (inshaAllah*) on THE SCARY RIDE...

*= God Willing

It's gonna be dry and not too hot nor cold btw: inshaAllah :-bd
dlovett

Re: Best flat pedals?

Post by dlovett »

Alpkit Jekyll. Flat and wide one side cleats n the otherwise. The flat side also has ins that can be removed it you want to. We now have them on all our bikes.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-jekyll
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Plastic bodies are good in the winter, as they're less of a heat sink compared to metal.
I'm happy with DMR V6 on my gradventourer (moulded pins), and Superstar El Plastique with metal pins on my HT MTB. The Superstar are currently very cheap at Planet X:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/PESSELP/s ... flat-pedal
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use Nukeproof Neutrons with my walking boots and my proper Shimano fatties.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

We have these on our bikes - they are very cheap but actually very good. The pins give you so much grip you almost have to twist out of them when you stop. I thought I was alone in thinking these were actually alright pedals, but when we stayed with warmshowers hosts in the US and Canada quite a few of them used these too and also raved about them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCKBROS-Bik ... Sws65To8Zb
redefined_cycles

Thanks v much everyone... i think I'm gonna go halfway (in spend and cos of the massive user reviews saying :-bd on wiggle and crc) with the Nukeproofs as they might miraculously get to me in time from crc or somewhere similar...

:-bd much appreciated
techno

Post by techno »

I've got some crank brothers "stamp 3 Large" had them a year now with no issues or maintenance.
The dmr V12 I had weren't up to the quality of these. I had to pack the v12s with grease periodically
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Hiking shoes are always a bit tricky and whilst I rather hike (I do sh!t loads of hiking on my Alpine biking trips, measured in time probably 4x more than riding - simply because there's no way I can ride the stuff uphill what I ride downhill) in my Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL and get really good grip with many different types of pedals, I think the One Up pedal works better than many other flats with hiking boots type of sole.

Downside of loads of grip:
those pins are really, really nasty. One slip and say goodbye to your good looking legs.

Oh... and they are expensive. I've no longterm experience with them yet my girlfriend has used them for riding across Iceland and the bearing still seems like new.
redefined_cycles

Just arrived today... my shiny new Nukeproof Neutrons... :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:15 pm Just arrived today... my shiny new Nukeproof Neutrons... :smile:
What colour?
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:22 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:15 pm Just arrived today... my shiny new Nukeproof Neutrons... :smile:
What colour?
Black unfortunately Colin... it was the difference of a quid but its all adding up (just bought my rear mudhugger after being happy with the front fitment) so I had to forgo the green or yellow unfortunately... the material is interesting as its described as some sort of resin/polymer in the revieqs but feels like some sort of alloy...
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:03 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:22 pm
What colour?
Black unfortunately Colin... it was the difference of a quid but its all adding up (just bought my rear mudhugger after being happy with the front fitment) so I had to forgo the green or yellow unfortunately... the material is interesting as its described as some sort of resin/polymer in the revieqs but feels like some sort of alloy...
If you can, get hold of the fat hugger rear extension, makes a massive difference. Otherwise if you can't you could always flat pack a couple of 4lt milk bottles and cable tie them to it.
redefined_cycles

Already sorted Duncan. Turns out the local shop had some mudhuggers in stock but when I got there he showed me a Shorty... an extra £5 saved over the standard front one :grin: ... will hairdryer it into a bit of shape and squeeze it on this aft... thanks
redefined_cycles

Oh... I just reread the post... that sounds interesting about the milk bottles. I might give it a go :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:13 pm Oh... I just reread the post... that sounds interesting about the milk bottles. I might give it a go :-bd
Watch this, it will explain it a lot better than my desctiption

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 31JK8ptUMg

It makes a massive amount of difference if you can do it, especially with the current forecast