28h Hole Rear Wheel Sufficient?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: 28h Hole Rear Wheel Sufficient?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:35 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 pm Brass nipples... then just reuse them. The compound is (IMO) just an excuse for building poor quality wheels... If you get the tensions just right and tuned appropriately (you're trying to find the perfect balance between equalish tensions and) with the lateral and radial true. Then there's no real reasons to be using the lcoking compound at all...

One thing my wheelbuilder teacher (he was a little crap) taught me is (this was good) to throw the nipples in some oil and oil the threads (obviously)... that way you've got as much ease at reaching the tensions with not as much friction.

Hope that makes sense...

Roger Mussons book is the bees knees btw
I'd not reuse the nipples. Seems like the wrong place to save the planet/your wallet.

Bathing the components in a certain oil is the top tip. The wheelbuilder's I rely on do that too, so it can't be bad. I think for my everyday/travel bike he even used linseed oil to make them last (corrosion of nipples/spokes/rims).
Sorry... my statement of brass nipples... I'd like to qualify that statement. I meant: DT Swiss brass nipples. Dont think anything else really compares in that dept (the alloy ones are rubbish and have seen em snap... brass: never :grin:
mechanicaldope

Re: 28h Hole Rear Wheel Sufficient?

Post by mechanicaldope »

lune ranger wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:29 am Try and get a copy of Jobst Brandt’s Wheel Book.
I think it’s out of print but when I read it years ago it really helped me start building good wheels.
Found a pdf of this. Really good read. Didn't realise that wheels worked by compressing the lower spokes rather than by the hub hanging from the upper ones.