Alternative Front Rack/Support from Radical

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

99percentchimp

Alternative Front Rack/Support from Radical

Post by 99percentchimp »

Have we done this bit of kit?

Bit different and some nice ideas in here... I could see this working well on a winter bike with big dry bags for winter kit (light but bulky stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuVRmrJ6Qoc

Not cheap mind :shock:

https://www.radicaldesign.com/bikepacki ... t-rack-mtb
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
dlovett

Re: Alternative Front Rack/Support from Radical

Post by dlovett »

Someone here could make one very easily with all their sewing skills. I would think it makes it horrible handling wise with all that weight up front. Still could you not use a child seat and take bags instead of a child?
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I liked the attachment to a suspension fork... looked neat.

I'd agree with you on the weight up front... I thought bulk not weight would be good there. Not keen on their loading either, all front loaded but something more minimal as part of a system??
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

:o
Why would you want all that on a front rack buggering up your handling. That’s just shouting rear rack to me... or even a trailer there’s so much stuff on it :wink:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

99percentchimp wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:41 pm I liked the attachment to a suspension fork... looked neat.

I'd agree with you on the weight up front... I thought bulk not weight would be good there. Not keen on their loading either, all front loaded but something more minimal as part of a system??
IMHO, single straps round front loads are asking for trouble. I have a restrp harness and use both straps. I have had bags move on very rough terrain and now run the straps through the strap holders sewn into the dry bags to ensure that they don't move. With a single strap, you will loose the bag.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 pm :o
Why would you want all that on a front rack buggering up your handling. That’s just shouting rear rack to me... or even a trailer there’s so much stuff on it :wink:
For the price they are charging you could buy a rear rack and trailer!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't really tell from the video but has it got some sort of support at the front? I'm kinda struggling to see what's to stop the whole thing slipping down otherwise? If it's simply relying on friction between the material and the forks, I can see it moving once you add water and rocks.
May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:56 pm I can't really tell from the video but has it got some sort of support at the front? I'm kinda struggling to see what's to stop the whole thing slipping down otherwise? If it's simply relying on friction between the material and the forks, I can see it moving once you add water and rocks.
Seems to be a combination of the internal frame (at least I think I see that) and the friction of the fork straps and ?suspended from the bars by two straps... not sure what stops it moving down either....
I wouldn't want those large bags there above the front wheel but the side mounted bags are like the Jones fork bags and they are OK (anything heavy goes as low as possible) but with nothing above the wheel.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

DOUBLE POST
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

#badidea
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

#badidea
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

So bad the site posted it twice!
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

How does the harness maintain clearance when the forks are compressed?
Given the sag factor the moment you sit on the bike then the tension between the upper strap and lower strap has gone or am I missing something?
It would work on an RS1 inverted fork.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
jameso

Post by jameso »

As well as the handling effect with all the weight on the front - on a hardtail you wouldn't want to attach a lot of kit as non-suspended weight either.

And as above, is that bar strap what stops it dropping down the fork legs then buzzing/jamming the front tyre? So your fork compresses, the bar tension part goes slack at the same time as all that weight wants to drop down the fork?
Hate to be an armchair critic but on first impressions it doesn't look look like something that's come from hard-use testing. If I'm wrong, apologies - simply Qs that come from a lack of info on the site or the video. If you'd designed it to overcome those points then why not present the details?

All that aside, if it was fitted to a fairly quick-handling rigid bike for mild terrain it might be good lightweight alt to a rack set up.