New shoes/boots time

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

New shoes/boots time

Post by BigdummySteve »

My trusty Shimano MT91 boots are not going to last much longer, they’ve been great (although a little tight), any recommend replacements, I did buy a pair of 5:10 shoes which were quickly moved onto pickers. I couldn’t even get my feet in them!

I’ve proper hobbit feet so really struggle to find anything comfortable, the new XM9’s look ok and are apparently true to size but I’m not convinced they will last like the MT91’s.

So I think I possibly want boots, good for HAB/bigtrotting, SPD compatibly which fit silly wide feet and last forever while being warm dry and comfortable.....you can see why I’m struggling here.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

Re: New shoes/boots time

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have problematically wide feet. Albeit size 10.5... I tried these on in 10.5 and they were true to size and seemed very well built. No reason why they shouldn't last and they come with michelin sole which hopefully won't wear away as quid as Five10s

https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/shimano ... woEALw_wcB

Or could get the non goretex versions for another 50 quid or so less :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just received a pair of MW7 boots in the post.
They are feeling pretty comfy and will see there first ride tomorrow. Size wise they are bigger than the XM9 boots i’ve Had a couple of years.
I too had some MT91 which lasted an age. I’ve no reason to think the XM9 will die anytime soon.
I think theXM9 has a better sole for HAB but the MW7 looks like it will be fine. MW7 is lighter and has a tighter ankle closure. I tend to use mini gaiters to stop gravel and stuff getting into The XM9.
I bought the MW7 predominantly as a winter commting boot. XM9 is my go to mountain boot. Though I am favouring my lighter more approach shoe like Suplest Suptraction shoes for better weather and used them for my ITT’s in the summer.
I have pretty wide feet and find the XM9 a better fit than the MT91 of old.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Lake boots are wide and very comfy/warm.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Steve they have some mw7 on sports pursuit for £80 ,only in a couple of sizes though ,I think it's 46 and a 48 ,in lake I stay in a 42 but Shimano I go up to a 44 so may be worth a look for you
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My experience of more up to date Shimano boots is there is no need to size up. MW7’s are actually fairy big for their nominal size.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:34 am My experience of more up to date Shimano boots is there is no need to size up. MW7’s are actually fairy big for their nominal size.
+1
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have some MW7s to try out this winter. I've spent the last two night with newspaper in my shoes from soaking wet commutes home. Although if I was wearing boots the water would probably still run down my leg anyway

Sportpursuit have some Lake boots in the sale, limited sizes though
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Wouldn't bother with the mx180 Ben ,had a pair last November ,worn mainly for commuting ,boa laces stripped back to bare wire within a couples of months , wouldn't replace under warranty ,then in April the rubber sole came apart on the heel ,sent photos off to lake again refused to warranty and said it was abuse which had caused it, obviously not meant to do any hike a bike in them ,on the plus side ,very waterproof and very comfy,still use them just have to be careful when walking and careful with the laces
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

So the MW7’s went on their first outing today - 5 hours half road half off road. It was dry and the trails are pretty dry (surprisingly) so I can’t comment on the weather proofing.
Fit wise: the toe box is narrower than on first impression giving a fit similar to the MX9. The shoe has a lot of internal volume that dials in pretty well with the boa.
I developed a bit of a hotspot on one foot under the ball. This is pretty common for me and is usually relieved with some Body Geometry footbeds.
I did one longish push up a steep rocky track and walking in them was fine. I could tell I was using a riding boot not a walking boot but the grip and comfort was good thou I did get a little heel lift in one shoe. Again the footbeds usually negate that when used.
Not sure I’d want to do 24hrs straight in them but overall i’m pretty pleased.
MAM - In the past i’ve Dealt directly with Boa for warranty issues and bi-passed Lake. Boa have always been spot on and replaced lacing systems in way old shoes without batting an eyelid.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

After due deliberation I’ve gone for the XM9 in a size 9 again, hopefully it will be spot on with the more generous sizing. The other options mentioned above looked a bit fancy.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good choice - I went to the XM9's after three pairs of MT91's and they are better - more ankle support, less of a cutaway at the back (so you can paddle through deeper puddles) lighter and better fit.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:34 pm After due deliberation I’ve gone for the XM9 in a size 9 again, hopefully it will be spot on with the more generous sizing. The other options mentioned above looked a bit fancy.
Hopefully you will be nice and comfy for you.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm looking to buy some winter boots for using on my Gradventourer and bikepacking bike (I'm sick of wrecking overshoes on HAB sections), would also be used for commuting on the Gradventourer. I'd decided I was going to try the Shimano MW5s but it looks like they may have been discontinued/replaced by the new version of the MW7. As I can get the MW7 for not much more than a pair of (non-discounted) MW5s I'm now thinking that they're the way to go. My question related to sizing, I've read above that the MW7s are a more generous fit than previous Shimano shoes and am a bit puzzled as to what size to go for. My summer SPD shoes are a pair of size 43 MO88s but I can only wear thin socks in these so I also have a pair of MT34s in a size 44 which are big enough to use with thicker socks (Sealskinz or Merino walking socks). Given that my new boots are for winter use and I may want to wear the aforementioned Merino walking socks should I go for a 43 or a 44? :roll: TIA.
redefined_cycles

I'm in similar boat as you Jurassic. I got the arcteryx (heavily discounted) for winter and did 'the big ride' on em with flat pedals and good pins. Although they handled well, I'm not getting the same 'glued like' feeling of my previous winter boots - Five10 GuideTennie approach boots in goretex flavour - which wore out over 3 years of regular use on and off the bike...

So, have settled on the MW7 and @Lune Ranger also seems to be happy with his. I've tried em on in flesh at my local and if I was in your shoes (I kind of am :-bd ) I'd be going for the 44... ie. Go for your regular shoe size that you take in normal boots/shoes. Thats basically what the reviews and Luke say/said. Shimano seem to have realised that people in the UK have shoe sizes rhat are more in line with the cm range (if that maketh any sense whatsoever)...
redefined_cycles

NB.

Bloomin shoes... alwaya something that needs buying :smile:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have some MW7s in a box at home, waiting for the temperature to drop a bit before breaking them out. Although this morning my feet were chilly!

I ordered them one size bigger than normal. They are roomy and I reckon I could get away with a normal size, but it'll give my foot some room to be comfy and not feel too restrictive. I don't HAB in them, they're for commuting only (I use flat pedals on my MTB)
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks folks, I think I'll go with the larger size as they're for winter use. I ride FiveTens and flat pedals on my fat bike and Rallon (FS) as they're what I'd be on for anything techy. SPDs are my preference for less techy/more endurance focused riding.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I ran across these the other day and wondered if they could be used on a bike - flat pedals obviously.

Hardly a snappy name but here goes Columbia/Montrail Mountain Masochist IV OutDry Extreme trail runners.

They appear to be a trail runner with a zip up gaiter over the front and bit grippy round the ankles.

Anyone seen or used them?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Useful reminder this thread. I was going to get myself a pair of ME7s come payday. Possibly a sub standard choice for the time of year :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:05 pm Useful reminder this thread. I was going to get myself a pair of ME7s come payday. Possibly a sub standard choice for the time of year :lol:
I love the look of the ME7s but I want something specifically for winter use and reckon the MW7 will do the trick.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

These are "replacing" a set of ancient MP66:

I also have an almost equally ancient pair of (IIRC) MW80s for winter use:

I really do have some ancient shoes :oops:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:48 pm These are "replacing" a set of ancient MP66:

I also have an almost equally ancient pair of (IIRC) MW80s for winter use:

I really do have some ancient shoes :oops:
It's a testament to the build quality of Shimano shoes. I had a pair of Northwave SPD boots that were ancient but had seen very little usage (I bought them for mountain biking just at the point when I started riding flat pedals so they were redundant). When I got interested in bikepacking and began using SPDs again I tried to bring them out of retirement and the complete sole of one boot came off on one of my early trips! By contrast I still have a pair of old Shimano shoes (purple and black with a yellow cuff, can't remember the model) in the loft that are fine.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve had my MW7 boots for a month or so now and used them for a two day trip in Dartmoor at the weekend.
They are very impressive. My feet stayed dry right up till the second afternoon when I went calf deep in a particularly wet bog. Up till then they resisted all the big trotting and were comfy both on the bike and during HAB.
The sizing is pretty true but the toe box is a little tighter than in the same size XM9 boot.
If you are unsure of the size you need and want thick socks I’d size up if you have wider feet. The Boa does a good job a cinching in ifthey initially seem too big.
Overall I think they are a great boot but would not swap them for my XM9’s if I was expecting consistently rocky HAB or a trip of more than a few days with only one pair of boots.
WSC
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Also a convert to XM9 boots
Make good cycle to work boots, especially if cold and/or wet
I did have reservations that a hiking type boot might be too restrictive for cycling, or not supportive enough for hiking; however, Shimano seem to have got the balance pretty much bang on.
Sizing seems as I would expect
Which is odd, as usually with Shimano I need to size up by one.

As an aside, the XM9 boots did seem fairly popular at this years bb200; perhaps we know what’s in store and want a good walking boot. 😝