Jurassic pusher

Re: Careful out there people.

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Type 3 fun?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ouch sair one.
I did a not dissimilar thing in the lakes (Sticks pass) many years ago but only resulted in bust forks and lots of bruises. Like that guy it was more of a stumble over the bike rather than a full blown crash....
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Haven't watched the video yet (will wait til after work) but had read about this story on Latin bikepacking pages on fb. Remnants from riding in that neck of the woods. Scary accident!

There seemed a lot of criticism of their approach along the lines of unprepared foolhardy foreigners with no helmets.. any line of truth or just a horrible accident?
(realise when I watch all will be some what clearer)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There seemed a lot of criticism of their approach along the lines of unprepared foolhardy foreigners with no helmets..
Well, he certainly had a helmet on when he fell off - which wasn't by doing anything reckless or foolish, just kinda bad luck really.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Ah grand! Undertaking anything like this is a bit of a roll of the dice, glad that he thankfully had some buddies on the route
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Helmet and Garmin in reach mini suggests forethought and planning. Second opinion on the ankle fractures seem to have saved further issues from restricted blood flow.
Lucky guy judging by the look of the gully he fell into....
stay safe out there folks!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Gosh...

Lost a friend in similar terrain, though he was pushing the bike and had another doing the same mistake like in the vid - he hit a tree, saving him from falling further - he wasn't too badly injured. When descending after iceclimbing, I once made a stupid mistake a flew down a succession of icefalls only to get hung up on a stick which was frozen in the ice.
These Things still make me sick thinking about them, but it's only the friend's death that sometimes rides along, when I'm riding/hiking past precipices.

Good to see they did everything right. Sounds very stupid, but that's the kind of way I whish things would go when I see (or fall myself) someone fall off such a cliff. Lucky lad and good for them how they responded - also that they were able to get down to him.

First a few of these
Then a Club Mate Cola - a coke with a sh!t load of natural caffeine.

and off to stuff like this (about once a week...)

So, yeah, be careful! :???:
99percentchimp wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 pm Helmet and Garmin in reach mini suggests forethought and planning
They seemed like they knew what they were doing.