Have R@pha finally lost the plot?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Have R@pha finally lost the plot?

Post by pistonbroke »

This just fluttered into my inbox. Mechanics clothing from hipster central. What mechanic on minimum wage can afford the whole ensemble? Over £300 for jacket trousers and shirt, has to be self cleaning and made from unicorn skin. Perhaps we could crowd fund our favourite man in a shed to model a set?
https://www.rappa.cc/es/es/mechanics/category/Mechanics
(You'll need to subtly alter the url to avoid the swear filter and see the full glory)
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Have R@pha finally lost the plot?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

:lol:

and just in case

:roll:
FLV

Post by FLV »

That Tee shirt has a Ribbed collar... cut for comfort and a contrast collar for a stable fit.

I'm in! Been struggling with collar instability for ages, its been a real toil working on the bike in these conditions. This is the ANSWER to all my hopes!

£50 for such things, bargain

:roll:
techno

Post by techno »

Tshirt, £50, fack orf.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

The jacket & trousers in brown are perfect if you want to look like a UPS delivery person. Just gotta love R@pha!
Last edited by ssnowman on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May satan walk with you
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'll wear any crap i get told to when working on bikes. I would rather spend the money on cycling clothing.

I do use Crikey, how much for the road. It's comfortable. I usually wait for a clear out price though.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I'm a mechanic on kit that's a bit heavier than bikes ,hence we get paid a hell of a lot more and Aldi is my best friend for work wear ,I'm f@cked if I'd spend that much on stuff to get burns in and covered in grease and oil
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I know it has "workshop" somewhere in the blurb but surely no one really thinks (least of all ahpaR) that this stuff stands the vaguest chance of actually being used by mechanics, do they :???:
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can only assume that R@pha shops have really big glass windows so they can see the customers coming?

However, if they have customers with (a) lots of dispoable income (b) deep anxieties about how their peer group view them and (c) limited imagination, then good luck to them. Personally, I'd be crap at this sort of thing as I do like to sleep peacefully at night.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Yep. I love my Crikey, how much riding gear but this is plain daft. No way I'm wearing anything but threadbare jeans and T-shirt I got given at a trade show if working on the bikes! :lol:
labrat

Post by labrat »

What mechanic is going to be buying at RRP?

if they've pitched the trade/-discount/+VAT right then it shouldn't be too bad.

When I was in the accounts side of a major supplier we always tried to push through a really good deal for staff kit at our best dealers, often wasn't much more than cost. (eg. trade -35% which drops you down to about 40% of retail after tax)
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

labrat wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:55 pm What mechanic is going to be buying at RRP?

And still too much mate. It's worth waiting for Trek to throw a T shirt at you or (insert other brand here)

Also auto correct, Crikey, how much , hehe.
labrat

Post by labrat »

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:04 pm
labrat wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:55 pm What mechanic is going to be buying at RRP?

And still too much mate. It's worth waiting for Trek to throw a T shirt at you or (insert other brand here)

Also auto correct, Expensive hipster brand , hehe.
indeed - unfortunately our T-shirts, although they were in the catalogue, were like gold dust, was rather annoying (though I still have a really useful box full of them and bidons 😄 )
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Wondering which nugget came up with the idea of a white shirt.

Betting they'll be used down the pub and the only spanners involved will be the ones wearing them.
Powered by crumpets.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The long sleeved t shirt looks really nice. :-bd

It's not that expensive tbf to them - people will pay a lot more than those prices for the likes of Ted Baker/Hugo Boss etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

people will pay a lot more than those prices for the likes of Ted Baker
Was he Ma Bakers lad?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone is keen on some designer work-wear and can wait until May ... there's usually some WRT T shirts left over that Dee sells off for a quid or two on the final day :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:55 am
people will pay a lot more than those prices for the likes of Ted Baker
Was he Ma Bakers lad?

That font :lol: :lol:

:cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

For those who do invest in this workwear, maybe consider a set of https://www.onlinesafetysupplies.co.uk/ ... gIpNfD_BwE to protect it from oil and grease.....
jameso

Post by jameso »

"Business in new product marketing shocker" :grin:

I wouldn't wear that for servicing my bikes but they know few would. It's a styling spin / cue isn't it? I think it's good looking clothing and the price isn't daft - Levis 501s are £70-80 and a Carhartt work jacket is more than the £110 of the Crikey, how much jacket, a Rab or Mantane jacket is £100+, and tbh it can be so hard to find mens clothing on the high st that isn't stupid looking I've all but given up - so this has appeal to me. I'm no fashion victim or wouldn't have much of a clue in that area but plain well-fitted clothes that aren't silly money and last well are all good.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

My 2 experience of Ra#ha customer service meant, I suppose I'm now a little happier to save (if its suitable and required from them) a little linger and buy from them...

Also, the other day during a right good thrashing in the rain (everything came back totally muddy and the inside of the car needed a good clean... even my backpack had to be handled csrefullu for the amount of mud/muck) around some of the nasty PennineBeidleway sections... I left my speaker in my Crikey, how much toptube bag and had it playing (quran :-bd if you must know) most of the 6 hours during the event. Its solid and dependable (have relied on it to keep essential gear dry previpsuly too...

Anyway, them 2 episodes of #1 customer service...

1.. My first ever purchaee was a merino jersey from the manchester store. Down to £50 from around £85. A year or more later it developed some fluff around one area and a mate suggested that its not normal cos its not happened to his. Contacted Rapah and duely sent it back. Not only did they give me a voucher for the total amount but they said a £50 voucher wouldn't allow me to purchss and replace, so thwy gave me an £80ish voucher and also allowed me to keep the original (which is still going strong another 18 months later)...

2.. bought a hardshell Rapah jacket from ebay for not very much... maybe £70ish quid for somwthig that retailed for over £200. After nikwaxing it and ironing it dry, few days later the zipper fell off (I'm really not sure and can't imagine I touched the zipper with the iron but who knows...)...

Contacted Rapah via email just stating the facts (zipper fallen off). Asked me to send it in, then not long after sent me a £220ish voucher :o ... I think I'm a convert for life and actually as I type I have my Fixed ling armed merino jersey on. Falling apart at the cuffs but thats how I bought it (used off ebay with moth eating damage around the cuffs). I think I can safely say its my best garment I've ever owned and is maybe touching 5 years total service life now (Ive been know to wear it for 4 and 5 days in a row :smile: )
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

So... :-bd to Rapah :lol:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

jameso wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:54 pm "Business in new product marketing shocker" :grin:

I wouldn't wear that for servicing my bikes but they know few would. It's a styling spin / cue isn't it? I think it's good looking clothing and the price isn't daft - Levis 501s are £70-80 and a Carhartt work jacket is more than the £110 of the Expensive hipster brand jacket, a Rab or Mantane jacket is £100+, and tbh it can be so hard to find mens clothing on the high st that isn't stupid looking I've all but given up - so this has appeal to me. I'm no fashion victim or wouldn't have much of a clue in that area but plain well-fitted clothes that aren't silly money and last well are all good.
Not quite to my taste, but totally get the above relating to other brands. (Sidenote- you can pick up Carhartt workwear way cheaper - they have US workwear and high street fashion off shoots)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jameso wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:54 pm the price isn't daft - Levis 501s are £70-80 and a Carhartt work jacket is more than the £110 of the Expensive hipster brand
And Porches are really quite reasonably priced when compared with the latest Ferrari.
techno

Post by techno »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:14 am The long sleeved t shirt looks really nice. :-bd

It's not that expensive tbf to them - IDIOTS will pay a lot more than those prices for the likes of Ted Baker/Hugo Boss etc.
Andy, I've corrected that for you.