Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Post by Escape Goat »

Since I've searched the forum and only found Bb200 historical start, bb200 withdrawals I havnt found any chatter on this years.

Feel free to educate me otherwise mind.

Anyway, who are the first timers? Are you worried? Do you have water filtration concerns when there's a million sheeps around 🐑💩 ? Worried about getting sweaty and wet... Then cold? (they're all mine, well, some of them) taking too much of the house with you? 🏡 🥤 🍲

Who are the seasoned bb200ers too? Hoping to make last orders at the Star Inn again? Travelling light instead of sleeping mid way around?

I've pushed myself to 17 hours on Jennride, but that was on 2 hours sleep night before in a field, this could be another 6 hours on top for me, or even more. ⌚ Worried. :shock:

Hopefully the Star Inn will be a comfortable long sleep for me. 🛏 Unless I lie awake, worrying about the next day or two. :sad:
composite

Re: Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Post by composite »

My BB200 tips in no particular order. I just bashed these out quickly so I might edit later when I think of some more. :grin:

If you think your goal is to not stop then make that intention right from the off.

Take the minimum kit you can to satisfy the rules. You will go straight through because it will be less comfortable to stop anyway.

It will hurt for a bit of it. Mileage may vary how long that "bit" is but it won't last forever and you will come through it. Don't be tempted to stop at that point, keep turning the peddles in your little bubble of pain as however slow you are going you are still going forward.

When you do stop have a plan. Think about what you are going to do and in what order. You want to minimise the "time elapsed/moving time" differential as much as possible.

Don't use stuff like gels for food if you aren't used to them. Most people's guts aren't used to that density of calories and often it doesn't agree with them. They suck anyway. Have real food to eat cause chewing on something makes you feel better, let alone getting the calories in you. Have a mixture of savoury and sweet. Find that thing that perks up your spirits. For me its Battenburg cake. I like to ride along biting chunks out of a whole one like a chocolate bar.

Research the route at least a bit. Know roughly how far in the big climbs are as well as the suspected hike-a-bike sections. Expect the hike-a-bike to be the worst you have ever encountered. The reality can only better from there. Also, if you are like me and need to regularly eat (I get something in me once an hour) try to get an idea of where you might touch civilisation in order to resupply but also try to think what time you might be going through those places. If it's not a Spar but a village shop expect it to be closed whatever time you get there. If you don't think that a resupply is on then accept it and just carry what you need to form the start. It will get lighter. :wink:

In terms of water, the route will 100% cross enough streams and rivers that it won't be an issue, although try to fill up just before it gets too dark to see the water.

Make sure you stay warm through the night. Take an extra layer etc, maybe some spare gloves if the weather looks sh1t.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Very ingesting advice indeed.

Now I have a new worry. Running out of water. In the dark. 💩

I need to travel lighter as I don't fancy riding a 70lb beast!! I do think I'll take shelter incase I can't carry on. But bare eddentials have been noted so I don't treat it as a bivvy ride.

I'm an ex roadie so gels I'm used to, but I agree they're crappy.

I do get cold. Easily. I guess that's something I'll have to try to manage.

Thanks for the tips. They're invaluable.
Karl

Post by Karl »

There will be dark times (usually at night).
There will be light times (usually in the day).
There will be cold times (Some of the time).
There will be wet times (most of the time).
There will be happy times (usually at the end...after a few days).

Just remember you won't be suffering alone!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Karl wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:42 pm There will be dark times (usually at night).
There will be light times (usually in the day).
There will be cold times (Some of the time).
There will be wet times (most of the time).
There will be happy times (usually at the end...after a few days).

Just remember you won't be suffering alone!

:lol: I won't be the only dot out there. But I'm sure I will do a little bit (a lot) of talking to myself. Worried about the cold the most. Haha.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

My comments.....

Are you **planning** on riding straight through?
If yes, take kit to ride then add the compulsory items
If no, take kit to ride then add what is necessary for a night’s sleep

I’m riding straight through, so my comments are based on that
Take enough lighting to last ~10 hours, and bright enough for technical stuff when half asleep at 3am
Pro plus works wonders
Consider the GPS has to run continuously for approx 20-24 hours
Consider that on the go charging is fine in the dry, not so much in the rain
Talking of GPS, have a backup means of navigation, and not a phone.
Last year was a puncture fest; I got 12. Go tubeless.
The course will not be 100% rideable. There will be hike a bike, and likely in the dark.
When stu sends the route study it
Find places to get food and water
The gaps between these places
Consider the course will not overlap a feature on the ground, though may be close
You will (likely) get wet; last year was very wet.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Oh, and go and search

This topic has been asked many times.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Don't listen to Karl. There are only happy times.

You are outside, enjoying riding your bike, not thinking about anything except you, your bike, your surroundings and the things that make you happy.

Most of the route you will enjoy, some you will tolerate, and some will be comforted by the thought that the poor bastards behind you have to do that bit as well.

You will carry some water, and fill up at streams or taps. Make sure your bottles are full before it gets dark, as you can't see sheepshit in the dark. Carry jam sandwiches, or marmalade if you like it. They lift your soul at 2am when the monsters come looking. Don't fear the dark, the maddest person out there is you (and the people behind you). And don't worry - what's the worst that can happen........

If you are a closet roadie you might want to get one of Stu's stickers to stick on your stem :-bd
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Should you be tempted to Scratch, remember it is usually easier to give yourself a swift kick up arse (metaphorically or physically) and carry on than try to navigate a route back to Llanbrynmair from the middle of nowhere!
Don`t ask how I know this.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That was a good bit of advice to wake up to! Once I know what os map to buy, I'll get one so I have my computer, phone and paper maps.

As for scratching at night, even if that's the plan, it sounds difficult to actually scratch without going on through the route. I guess my version would be pitching up and heading off to the land of nod.

Think I'll take a couple of collapsible bottles and filter them full too, by the time it's dark I should have room for these to then be full.

Thanks again.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Don't worry about talking to yourself. I do that loads on the 200, especially through the night. Often questioning why I am in mid Wales on my bike in the middle of the night and using alternative names for the evil genius who put the route together!

Keep moving... Even when pushing, carrying or crawling. Every step or pedal stroke takes you nearer the finish.

One of my favourite moments on bikes ever have been watching the sunrise after riding through the night on the 200. It's a magical time even if the weather is poor. You just rode through the night! How cool is that?

As others have said, there will be high and low points, but the main point is you are riding your bike in an amazing place. Enjoy it!

Si
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:02 am That was a good bit of advice to wake up to! Once I know what os map to buy, I'll get one so I have my computer, phone and paper maps.
Thanks again.
Maybe Stu or someone else will confirm this but Landranger sheets: 124, 125, 135, 136 should cover most eventualities for the route.
At least that was what I was told when I asked the question before my first try last year.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
psling

Post by psling »

It's a mental conundrum.

If you were going for a long bike ride, either alone or with mates and whether a daytime ride or a night ride, you'd just go out and ride your bike and enjoy the ride, no pressures, just enjoying doing something you presumably enjoy doing and setting out without any worries or out-of-the-usual preparation.

Now, call the ride an "event", give it a pre-determined set route and distance and set a time-to-achieve element and suddenly that ride becomes a major challenge - the doubts creep in, the need to analyse what kit to take rears it head, you start to question your fitness preparation, the pit of your stomach starts to remind you that you're getting anxious about the whole thing...

At the end of the day it's just another big bike ride; overcome all the anxieties of it being an "event" and all of a sudden it's really no big deal.
The real challenge is convincing yourself of this and that is what is bl00dy near impossible!! :???: :grin:

p.s. I've never done the BB200 :roll:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Never ridden a 200 but had a plod around a Eastern and southern parts of Stu's big bear so can only speak for terrain expect no clear path in parts so just follow the line on your GPS ,tussocks and bogs a fair bit of pushing (for me anyhow) but then you'll find your on fast rolling forest roads tarmac and mountain roads so even if you think the pushing is slowing you down too much don't despair about your time as the other sections will easily bring up your average speed,more than worrying too much about your water as you'll have a filter it's the spray on your gloves that got me a poorly belly ,eating while riding with dirty gloves ,just have faith in the route on your GPS and follow that not where you think there may be a track ,and best of luck buddy :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

darbeze wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:45 am ...using alternative names for the evil genius who put the route together!
Clint?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

psling wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:43 am It's a mental conundrum.

If you were going for a long bike ride, either alone or with mates and whether a daytime ride or a night ride, you'd just go out and ride your bike and enjoy the ride, no pressures, just enjoying doing something you presumably enjoy doing and setting out without any worries or out-of-the-usual preparation.

Now, call the ride an "event", give it a pre-determined set route and distance and set a time-to-achieve element and suddenly that ride becomes a major challenge - the doubts creep in, the need to analyse what kit to take rears it head, you start to question your fitness preparation, the pit of your stomach starts to remind you that you're getting anxious about the whole thing...

At the end of the day it's just another big bike ride; overcome all the anxieties of it being an "event" and all of a sudden it's really no big deal.
The real challenge is convincing yourself of this and that is what is bl00dy near impossible!! :???: :grin:

p.s. I've never done the BB200 :roll:
This is all so true. Events of this nature are completed mostly in your head. I assume you are fit enough to do it, or 99% fit enough and have the kit to do it? So that means the only issue is your head.

The best advice is in those dark moments, when stopping is becoming a real possibility for you, go somewhere nice in your head, get yourself grounded and carry on. Crack it now by thinking of a nice memory, or somewhere where you are happiest. Really remember what that place feels like, get properly in touch with it and focus on how good it is. Then regularly mentally take yourself to that place whenever you complete an action, like really gripping your handlebars hard or putting both hands on your helmet or something. When you start to struggle, complete the action, go to your good place and refocus yourself away from the negative, give up thoughts to the good place, I can do this place.

Or pull yourself together man and don't be a wuss.

One of the two :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if stu will let us know prior to the route being divulged. I'm imagining the entire 200km will be hikeabike. I need to remember that big sections will indeed be rideable, though when it's not rideable, I will consider singing to myself. Usually Xmas songs.

As far as my happy place, I can work with that. I like that thought.

I guess I'll find out if I'm fit enough when the time comes can't really train foe something like this, so it will be what it is.

There are some decent comments here. One of many that I'll latch onto is when a big ride is just a ride. A big ride with a name and a specific route... Is still just a big ride.

Its going to be one hell of a time!!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you think your goal is to not stop then make that intention right from the off.
I'm not a great one for planning but this ^ is superb advice. If you decide from the off that you're not stopping, then don't give stopping a second thought. The sleep monster will pay you a visit at some point and personally, I find he's easier to fend off if I'm walking / pushing rather than riding (possibly safer too). However, he won't hang around for too long and once you see the first hint of the sky lightening, all thoughts of sleep will vanish - as Si says, that is a wonderful moment especially if you know you're within sight of home.

You will experience lows and highs of some magnitude but they may come at the most random times and often for no real reason you can see. Embrace them both equally, knowing that neither will last very long.

Something else I'd suggest is - carry cash. Some shops, pubs, etc still don't accept cards.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Something else I'd suggest is - carry cash. Some shops, pubs, etc still don't accept cards.
Some do not accept English cash, it`s all ways best to change a few quid into Welsh currency at the Toll booths :-bd
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I'm led to believe carrying a dangly tin mug is obligatory. Will there be Bearbones 200 ones to buy?
May satan walk with you
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:28 pm
I'm not a great one for planning but this ^ is superb advice. If you decide from the off that you're not stopping, then don't give stopping a second thought. The sleep monster will pay you a visit at some point and personally, I find he's easier to fend off if I'm walking / pushing rather than riding (possibly safer too). However, he won't hang around for too long and once you see the first hint of the sky lightening, all thoughts of sleep will vanish - as Si says, that is a wonderful moment especially if you know you're within sight of home.

You will experience lows and highs of some magnitude but they may come at the most random times and often for no real reason you can see. Embrace them both equally, knowing that neither will last very long.

Cheers stu. Didn't think about cash.

I don't want to treat this as a bivvy ride. I want to push myself further than I ever have. Taking stuff to ride right through will lighten the load and make it the only option as you say, just to ride through.

I'm both looking forward to it. And dreading it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm both looking forward to it. And dreading it.
Just go out there knowing that you're going to give it your best shot. It might only be a cloth badge you're chasing but I like to believe that they represent much, much more to those that have them. Ooh and after the first dozen pedal strokes any anxiety will be forgotten.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

If riding straight through consider taking a sleeping mat, duvet, and pillow
A nap in the hall is wonderful before driving home.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A nap in the hall is wonderful before driving home.
But don't bank on happening - there may be other things going on in the hall, we don't hire the entire building.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh yes. It will mean a bucket load indeed.

I :-bd