Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dyffers

Re: Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Post by Dyffers »

In light of Stu's comment above note that for my first three BB200s I carried my 800g down bag and Hunka bivvy, and although I do have the sleeping bag above, I don't own an emergency bivvy, that was just me musing about weight loss for hike-a-bike in the last couple of years. I've also got a reasonable amount of overnight (mostly road admittedly) riding experience in the last 15 years, typically carrying nothing but warm clothes and a well-developed knowledge of what kind of pumpkin I turn into at 3am. YMMV (Your Misery May Vary)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Stuart... you're a v good man indeed...

Allen, I just wanna add... Just don't go 'Full Retard'...

Remember alot of those on here are extra hard monseuirs and can probably walk 40 miles on an apple and wouldn't mind drinking their own wee*.

Whatever kit you take, make sure its gonna do the job when/if the time comes that you need to deploy it.

One such blog that always springs to mind is the one by Travers**. Had he not had (sleeping) kit that worked, then maybe he'd have been no more.... Just saying... use you're head and stay staying safe :smile:

*the vid of last years BB comes to mind where one of the lads off here is walking against what looks like 60mph continuous wind with driven rain... and he's making a vid off it :shock:

** "He then kindly helped me find a flat piece of land to sleep on-sorry I don’t know your name, but thanks for your help" https://www.traversbikes.com/journal/category/bb200
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

:cool:

https://streamable.com/vskcn

Have to record these things for posterity.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:59 pm :cool:

Thats the one :lol: :lol: is that you Andy (or Dave :grin: ) and if not who... Slarge??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In light of Stu's comment above note that for my first three BB200s I carried my 800g down bag and Hunka bivvy, and although I do have the sleeping bag above, I don't own an emergency bivvy, that was just me musing about weight loss for hike-a-bike in the last couple of years.
I'd accept both the sleeping bag and bivvy Paul - after all, I'm not the one sleeping in them :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:08 pm Out of interest, Duncan, so what bivy and bag combo did you (or haven't you yet) finally settle on??
After much discussion earlier in the year here about what you could take the piss with for the BB200, I never bothered buying anything else. If it was to be used, it had to work, so I just take my Ti Goat Custom Kestrel Bivi (190g) and my UK Hammock Custom Bag (650g) as they pack down nice and small, are pretty light and importantly do actually work when needed.

There wasn't much I could see bag wise that was going to be race (for events other than BB200) legal and sub 400g without spending £300-500 and the very cheap light Bivi bags are really boil in the bag.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:30 pm Stuart... you're a v good man indeed...
are we thinking of the same person? :lol:

just you wait until 3am {*} on the sunday morning when dragging the bike up some random track in the pi55ing rain and howling wind.
it is then, and only then that you will turn your head towards the sky, raise a fist and curse the god of boners. :lol:

---
{*} that time might arrive earlier depending on the route and/or weather
slarge

Post by slarge »

My advice, given that I've only ever stopped overnight for 1 BBx00 (last years BB300) but had other sleeps where I've got very cold (including a very drunk sleep in November on MIL's front garden - don't ask) is that you should take enough kit to sleep without getting very cold. Travelling ultralight, then waking up freezing, and then trying to get going again will cost more time than carrying a 800g sleeping bag will slow you down. Up to a point.
If you can't carry your bike when you're tired then it's too heavy.

Tailor your kit to the route (incl resupplies) and weather (look at temperatures overnight rather than whether it's wet or dry). Cold overnight temps means taking a warm jacket and a sleeping bag, whereas warm and wet means taking a spare baselayer. Cold and wet means taking spare layers and a warm jacket and sleeping bag. And maybe a tarp unless there are shelter options.

When the weather is biblically bad it gets more amusing than rubbish - people last year tended to group together, which was excellent for morale and also made people laugh when person X goes knee over elbow into a peat bog or puddle...It only gets rubbish when you get cold, so take a decent waterproof (steer clear of Karl's 60gram Berghaus hypersmock, cos it weighs more like 120g when it's wet through) and spare socks, gloves and baselayer (and plastic bags for feet and latex gloves for hands). Anything that can stop the wind getting to your wet skin.

And for food, take some of what you like (jam sandwiches), and also what you need (energy bars, sausage rolls), and look at pubs and cafes as nice surprises, that way you don't get disheartened when they're shut or not serving food (unless you can sweet talk the lovely barmaid), or the riders who got there before you had the last piece of carrot cake. :sad:

And don't sprint the last 20 miles thinking it's all downhill from here, only to find it isn't......... possibly only the last 7 miles is downhill.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Now I'm back at a computer not trying to type on a phone ...

I've done one benign BB200, 2016, and one that wasn't, 2018. Even though there was no precipitation in 2016 you still needed to have your wits about you - dropping into Bwlch y Sarnau on the road after grafting through the forests meant you got chilled really quickly for example. Having the café there meant you could warm up, but a silly mistake to make. Don't pack everything away, rain, wind jackets, buffs, etc. need to be close to hand to put on and take off at a moment's notice.

I wore a full weight waterproof jacket for the entire 2018 BB200 and just varied what I had underneath it. For some reason I can cope with a lot on my legs but not on my torso so didn't bother with waterproof trousers/shorts. The biblical rain stopped after about 8hrs and the winds died down maybe four hours after that. But that meant it got cold, even in the rain it wasn't that cold if you were pedalling - that of course means work which means keeping fuelled. The counterpoint to that is that if you stopped you started to get cold pretty quickly unless you were out of the wind.

Resupply: don't count on it. In 2018 I aimed for the pub in Llangurig and got there at 8:30pm to be told "We've stopped doing food for the night. I've just turned the ovens off as we've had no-one in all night." For some reason I immediately countered with: "Have you got any soup?" (soup's usually kept in a big heated pot ready to ladle out) "Yeah, can do that for you". Without that it would have been a raid on the sweets, nuts and crisps behind the bar. The filling station and pubs at Ponterwyd were the only other resupply point on that year's route.

When Stu releases the route figure out where the resupply points are (to the nearest Km or so) and work out what sort of time you'll reach them, using 8.5km/h or quicker if you are aiming for a black badge but be realistic especially if it looks like any hike-a-bike sections come early on. It may be that you need to carry provisions for 120km or so, assuming steady progress to a 24hr finish that could be 15hrs worth of food.

As Steve says - view the mandatory kit list as a minimum, augment it with items suitable for the conditions on the weekend, just because some only take the mandatory items doesn't mean that's what you should do, as ever knowledge is worth its weight and they may know more about the route than you do. The weather can change pretty quickly (see above) so keep an eye on the forecast, take a lot of kit down to Llanbrynmair with you and then pack as late as possible, again an extra 500g isn't going to cause too much extra effort.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

whitestone wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:28 pm the café there meant you could warm up, but a silly mistake to make.
Is that because once you got toasty, you didn't want to move or outside felt colder?

In Reverse wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:59 pm :cool:

:o
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:30 pm
Allen, I just wanna add... Just don't go 'Full Retard'...

Meaning dont take a 20 year old Kwiksave bag as a bivvy bag?

slarge wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:34 pm
If you can't carry your bike when you're tired then it's too heavy....

*...maybe a tarp unless there are shelter options.

**... ( plastic bags for feet and latex gloves for hands). Anything that can stop the wind getting to your wet skin.

***look at pubs and cafes as nice surprises

****And don't sprint the last 20 miles thinking it's all downhill from here, only to find it isn't.........
* I'm unsure weather to lunar solo than tarp, pitching the lunar in bad weather takes less concentration...

**good bloody call!! I will be making sure I have these!

*** I'll bank on them all being closed then, and what happens happens.

****I have a feeling you're probably 100% right.
Karl

Post by Karl »

slarge wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:34 pm ...It only gets rubbish when you get cold, so take a decent waterproof (steer clear of Karl's 60gram Berghaus hypersmock, cos it weighs more like 120g when it's wet through)
Don't know what you mean Steve :roll:

But seriously take good water/windproofs, you'll be thankful at 3am dropping down into another Welsh valley.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Karl wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:53 pm
slarge wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:34 pm ...It only gets rubbish when you get cold, so take a decent waterproof (steer clear of Karl's 60gram Berghaus hypersmock, cos it weighs more like 120g when it's wet through)
Don't know what you mean Steve :roll:

But seriously take good water/windproofs, you'll be thankful at 3am dropping down into another Welsh valley.
I love how happy you appear!!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

As others have said minimising your stopped time is key. When stopping try to do multiple things at once like bike checks when at a pub while food is cooking etc.

Also try to pack your bags logically to provide access to stuff you need often so you don’t need to stop and find things. You can even go as far a a little laminated list of what is packed where for when you brain doesn’t work at 4am.

Using my kit as an example and assuming a non stop strategy in non horrific weather.

Frame bag has things hopefully not to be used and heavy at the bottom so tools first, tubes etc. Next layer powerbanks and cables next to a cable port. Then bulky food stuffs.

This leaves the top tube cockpit bag free for more proper food. One stem cell has savoury food and the other one has sweets.

Bar roll contains Bivi and sleeping bag in first plus any bad weather clothing which is easily accessible.

Hydra pack on back with gels and 2l water, waste pack empty but with 1.5l water bladder and inline filter. Depending upon resupply opportunities this waist pack might have more food.

Ideally this means you don’t need to stop to get food or water out of a bag for quite a while and when you do you just move more into the easy access bags.

The frame bag has a surgeon zip so if you need to get to tools etc you can without having to unpack everything.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Food training is important. If you don’t normally eat pork pies or yhrnlike and you plan on fuelling your self in them you will potentially have issues. Try to start eating some of your planned foods in the two weeks before to get your body used to eating them. Our nutritionist also recommended to ears slower and chew food much more than normal, to help the body digest it.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Garmin and the like. If you can run it apps get the food and drink reminder or equivalent. I h e mine set to drink and snack every 15 mins (to tip RG) and I find it makes a massive difference as I would ‘forget’ to drink enough otherwise.

Also if it can run them in dark/night mode and use the map screen sparingly. Tend to leave the Garmin on stats and use the android running Komoot for navigation and just use the Garmin to compare when the route is not obvious.

If you don’t have fully waterproof cases, keep them fully charged/running on usb/dynamo power when it’s dry so you don’t have open charge ports when it’s raining. Obviously make sure they are illy charged at the start.

Check the weather radar before you leave. There is no point starting at 8am in the rain if it will be sunny from 9am.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I think I've stopped panicking when I wake up in the mornings now.. Which is good.

I had an email from the Star saying that my room payment will go out on the 2nd, brother and sister in law are getting me from my work the Friday and heading down there. Probably wont touch a beer, as much as I would like to!

It is what it is. If it's anything other than hell on earth, it will be a pleasant surprise.

Thanks again peeps.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The Star have started charging in advance? Bizarre.

Anyway, on that general note... I'll be there over the weekend. You can all point at the invalid (and get slapped by his wife), or you can feed me commiseration alcohol, either works.

Pretty pensive about it to be honest as it's going to be an awful feeling being at the start, but not being able to start. Still, hopefully it'll spur me on with my recovery.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

You will be with all of us in spirit Rich.
hughesy108

Post by hughesy108 »

Hi guys. It will be my first time this year and really appreciate the advice already given so thanks. I'm sure I should know but I don't and can't find it anywhere but does anyone know when the route will be released and how. Thanks
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

hughesy108 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:02 pm Hi guys. It will be my first time this year and really appreciate the advice already given so thanks. I'm sure I should know but I don't and can't find it anywhere but does anyone know when the route will be released and how. Thanks
Stuart emails everyone with a GPX of the route at the beginning of October.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
hughesy108

Post by hughesy108 »

Perfect thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It'll be Oct 4th.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Rich, least you know what to expect unlike me and other n00bs at the starting line. You'll be back before you know it.

As far as the Inn, booking. Com take the payment.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Actually, been meaning to ask. Does anyone know how to use said .gpx file and to post spot position to this so my wife can see where I am and how much further I need to go? Is Spotwalla along the right lines?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/168440403@N04/0u4430
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

There will be a group spotwalla page setup that you can add yourself to. Details will body posted here a couple of days before the ride.

quote="Escape Goat" post_id=194826 time=1569532797 user_id=4824]
Actually, been meaning to ask. Does anyone know how to use said .gpx file and to post spot position to this so my wife can see where I am and how much further I need to go? Is Spotwalla along the right lines?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/168440403@N04/0u4430
[/quote]