Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Post by RIP »

Last week? Am far from local but happy to provide gentle reminder that this was 2 weeks ago and it's presumably teed it down ever since! Still, look on the bright side, no risk of suffering from dehydration :-bd

ImageBaM - Machynlleth 27/9/19 by Richard Picton, on Flickr
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 pm Am far from local but happy to provide gentle reminder that this was 2 weeks ago and it's teed it down ever since! Still, look on the bright side, no risk of suffering from dehydration :-bd

ImageBaM - Machynlleth 27/9/19 by Richard Picton, on Flickr
I have the pack raft ready :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good point! Had forgotten that. "We're saved! Well a couple of us anyway" :-bd

Shaping up to give 2018's a good run for its money I reckon.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:46 pm oh god..... :cry:

Thought the same!!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Thought the same!!
It's only rain though. Last year what made it hard was the wind. At one point I thought I was going to have to get off and push on the flat as the headwind was so strong I could barely pedal against it on the singlespeed. Not only did it make the riding hard but it made the rain horizontal and drove it through your clothes to soak (and chill) you to the bone.

This year will be pleasant in comparison deposite the rain.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yeah last year looked tough. Promised myself I'd never sign up for it...
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:22 pm
Escape Goat wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Thought the same!!
It's only rain though. Last year what made it hard was the wind. At one point I thought I was going to have to get off and push on the flat as the headwind was so strong I could barely pedal against it on the singlespeed. Not only did it make the riding hard but it made the rain horizontal and drove it through your clothes to soak (and chill) you to the bone.

This year will be pleasant in comparison deposite the rain.
Exactly this. It's going to be wet and, in places, boggy. Not really any wind and pretty mild temperatures - overnight forecasts don't look to be dropping much below 10°.

Nobody should be disheartened at this stage - it's standard autumnal mtb weather and we're going to be out in the middle of nowhere riding our bikes up and down big hills. If this weekend isn't up amongst the highlights of our year we're not doing it right. :-bd
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Warm and wet are things most men like to hear ,just not sure if it's in the same context as when talking about a BB event :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That brought me back down to earth. Thanks.

Now I'm worrying weather or not to take a bar bag with a down jacket in and a winter bag instead of a 250 down quilt and tent. Gah.

I was happy last night.... Now I'm at the checkout wondering should I have picked up the steak instead if the chicken.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 am That brought me back down to earth. Thanks.

Now I'm worrying weather or not to take a bar bag with a down jacket in and a winter bag instead of a 250 down quilt and tent. Gah.

I was happy last night.... Now I'm at the checkout wondering should I have picked up the steak instead if the chicken.
Allen... I'm not sure whether the weathers gotten to you or it was just a typo :lol: ....

Anyway... in the face of optimism, I'm gonna go ahead and say it? for us standard (ie. not full retard*) rider, its gonna be substandard.... now, do we want it any other way and come back feeling undersatisfied ?.... NOPE.... which concludes.

its gonna be lovely regardless inshaAllah... :-bd

*https://youtu.be/X6WHBO_Qc-Q
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 am That brought me back down to earth. Thanks.

The 250 quilts are warmer than you may think ,I use mine 10 months of the year last year
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just got on the ferry at the start of my long trek to Wales. Should I ask one of the crew if I can borrow one of the life-jackets for the weekend? :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

middleagedmadness wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:01 am Warm and wet are things most men like to hear ,just not sure if it's in the same context as when talking about a BB event :lol:
Stobbit Stu! I can feel a whole profanisaurus's worth of responses building up already. It's when it gets juxtaposed with some of the other well-known riding predictions like - well let's leave those to our/my warped sense of humour shall we - that I start to back off!

Andy's right though - surely highlight if doing it right. Wish I had the stamina to enjoy it. Hmm.

dlovett

Post by dlovett »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:59 am Just got on the ferry at the start of my long trek to Wales. Should I ask one of the crew if I can borrow one of the life-jackets for the weekend? :lol:
Race yah!!
composite

Post by composite »

Well good luck to everyone taking part in the 200 and 300. Back when the entries were open I really didn't think I would be back to where I am already and thought it would be 1 step too far for this year. Turns out I really should have entered, so actually quite jealous of you all... even given the predicted weather.

DOG SPEED EVERYBODY! :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If the temps stay the same then it's going to be pretty warm - I've just walked up from the station at a steady pace and I'd got a bit of a sweat on so was getting damp from the inside of my jacket rather than the outside.

Good luck to everyone, somewhat jealous I'm not doing it this year.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm hoping I can actually get there. Last time was a nightmare in Wales getting around all the floods.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 am I'm hoping I can actually get there. Last time was a nightmare in Wales getting around all the floods.
This is one thing I'm really worried about. Already knackered one car from flood water... anyone able to advise a sfrategy of getting detours around floods?? I'm coming from north (west yorkshire/leeds way)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 pm
Richard G wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:54 am I'm hoping I can actually get there. Last time was a nightmare in Wales getting around all the floods.
This is one thing I'm really worried about. Already knackered one car from flood water... anyone able to advise a strategy of getting detours around floods?? I'm coming from north (west yorkshire/leeds way)
Shouldn't be too bad Shaf. Go Oswestry - Welshpool - Newtown - Caersws - Carno - Llanbrynmawr. Main roads all the way. Sat nav might have you take one of the mountain roads from just after Oswestry direct to Carno, supposedly it's a couple of minutes quicker but there are one or two spots that can be damp!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob... my cars pistons salute you...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, as Bob rightly says, just stick to the main road and ignore your satnav ... they don't know everything :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

Image20191011_140131 by alexberry1, on Flickr

Ready to Rock and Roll! See you soon :)
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Just to check

Is it spar or Coop for the unofficial meeting point tomorrow night?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Coop's further of route than the Spar .... does that help?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Asposium wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:53 pm Just to check

Is it spar or Coop for the unofficial meeting point tomorrow night?
I've got 3 quick release zipties on my bike... Happy to bring a few more if you want a few... if that helps (for ziplocking dash n grab duties at Spar/Coop)...