Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

macinblack

Re: Bb200 Waffle Thread.

Post by macinblack »

I don't want to treat this as a bivvy ride. I want to push myself further than I ever have. Taking stuff to ride right through will lighten the load and make it the only option as you say, just to ride through.

I'm both looking forward to it. And dreading it.
Alan,

If the WRT is anything to go by, you will have no problems with fitness, so strike that one from the worry list.

Very sage advice above. It is a a case of being bloody minded and making progress, even if it is slower than you planned. I don't plan to sleep but I will have a lie down to rest, sleep won't come, even if I'm knackered.

Food planning is essential, don't be thinking on saving weight at the expense of fuel if there is limited re-supply on route. Don't bother with cooking gear though.

Oh, if I can do it, you can :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:47 pm
A nap in the hall is wonderful before driving home.
But don't bank on happening - there may be other things going on in the hall, we don't hire the entire building.
Car it will be then
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Car it will be then
It might happen or it might not, I'm only saying don't bank on it ... I really don't know.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

macinblack wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:24 pm
I don't want to treat this as a bivvy ride. I want to push myself further than I ever have. Taking stuff to ride right through will lighten the load and make it the only option as you say, just to ride through.

I'm both looking forward to it. And dreading it.
Alan,

If the WRT is anything to go by, you will have no problems with fitness, so strike that one from the worry list.

Very sage advice above. It is a a case of being bloody minded and making progress, even if it is slower than you planned. I don't plan to sleep but I will have a lie down to rest, sleep won't come, even if I'm knackered.

Food planning is essential, don't be thinking on saving weight at the expense of fuel if there is limited re-supply on route. Don't bother with cooking gear though.

Oh, if I can do it, you can :-bd

Cheers mac! That's reassuring. Can you explain" saving weight at the expense of fuel? " in taking jam butties, biscuits, chocolate, cheese 🧀 all the good stuff. Hoping to not have to stop for other than treats as an extra.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Cheers mac! That's reassuring. Can you explain" saving weight at the expense of fuel? " in taking jam butties, biscuits, chocolate, cheese 🧀 all the good stuff. Hoping to not have to stop for other than treats as an extra.
It depends on the route and your confidence in whether you will be able to hit whatever shops, takeaways and pubs before they shut Saturday night and what is open Sunday morning. You just need to make sure you have enough food to cover the gaps and make sure you have the right mix. Might be worth taking a couple of Gaviscon tablets, I had horrific heartburn last time due to the crap food I took along.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Might be worth taking a couple of Gaviscon tablets, I had horrific heartburn last time due to the crap food I took along.
Good call. I always take some Rennies now after a pub meal resulted in indigestion I couldn't shift all night (and I mean all night) on last years RTTS.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

My little tablet stash is:

Rennie
Paracetamol
Bruphen
Dissolvable paracetamol (two usually)
Antihistamine

🍔 And 🌭 🍫 and fizzy pop gets me going aha.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Milk
Assuming one isn’t lactose intolerant is excellent
Slightly alkaline, so calms the stomach
Counts as liquid intake
Contains sugars and proteins

Fresh orange juice is nice
Though needs to drunk in moderation as quite acidic
Makes a change to water

Though these help there....

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /290225331
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Asposium wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 pm Milk
I love milk. This is on my treats from the shop list if it's open.

I usually buy red bull and some sort of yogurt granola thing.usually 1.35 or 1.79 nordick somethi g or other.
Last edited by Escape Goat on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Hello.

Another BB200 newbie here.
The most I'd ridden in one go when signing up was 95km a few years ago. I've since been 'training' (and I've made it up to 100km in daylight.
I found I started to get exhausted around 90km, but I believe that's not eating regularly enough.
Worried? - no, though I am anxious, but as Stu says that'll disappear before I'm up the first hill.
Water: I have a filter, and it's Wales so I'm not worried. I have noticed recently that It's easier to notice when your about to run out by using a bottle instead of camelbak. I've also before found outside taps on community centre or similar, or asking in a pub useful for water resupply

I plan to leave behind some of the usual kit I take for the WRT. The main thing being cooking equipment, though I'm not sure what to eat instead. Any tips from seasoned BB200 pros?

Having managed the 100k in daylight recently I figure it was easier terrain the the BB200, and the second 100k will be slower anyway, I don't think I'll get the coveted black badge so plan b is to get a couple hours sleep, but maybe that's giving myself an easy way out. I've also been doing some solo night riding recently getting used to the dark again. That can be a bit unnerving seeing eyes (of animals) shining back at you or hearing noises. I imagine sleep deprived it would be a bit worse. Though it's probably just a rabbit, sheep, fox or badger, all of which are more scared of me.

A good tip I saw earlier in this thread was to take an extra layer for riding in the night (I hadn't thought of that one, thanks)
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I've done 100% more riding at night this year to get used to it. Being solo in the dark is quite calming. Especially if you see a deer or other cool wild life. Though the sleep monsters in the dark are an odd one. I once seen Mr potato head at 3am. Turned out to be a rock. Then I heard a crow that sounded like it was laughing at me, naturally, I fell apart laughing too.

I mentioned as a newbie too, I'll be taking jam butties and cheese and stuff. Keep the mix of sweet and savory. A pie on top of walna Scar at 130am wasn't easy to eat. Just saying.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think I'll get the coveted black badge so plan b is to get a couple hours sleep, but maybe that's giving myself an easy way out.
Not an easy way out by any means. Some people will actually find that they'll be quicker if they stopped and took a 2 / 3 hour nap rather than pressing on. A lot will depend how you're made / wired.

As is probably very obvious, your average speed is key. Not moving speed ... always smile when people talk about high moving speed on long rides but forget to tell you they stopped after 8 hours, had 8 hours kip and started again ... anyway, in some places you'll be whizzing along at 18km/h but as the night draws on and fatigue sets in, that might drop to near crawling pace and any buffer you've built will soon start to get eaten away.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Or even the other way around....
Last year by nightfall it looked like I would never do sub 24hrs.
However the terrain and weather improved and I made it in less than 23hrs in the end.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

However the terrain and weather improved and I made it in less than 23hrs in the end.
True Luke but I think last years conditions weren't the norm :wink:

For those hoping for a black finish, just embed the figure 8.5km/h in your brain :wink:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:???:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Why the confused face Allen?

200 / 8.5 = 23.52 :wink:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:06 am Why the confused face Allen?

200 / 8.5 = 23.52 :wink:

Wrong face. It looks worried to me.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:11 am
True Luke but I think last years conditions weren't the norm :wink:

For those hoping for a black finish, just embed the figure 8.5km/h in your brain :wink:
If one’s Garmin permits (other GPS are available)
On the mapping screen have a field of average speed
Distance if so inclined
Turn off auto pause
Start Garmin when setting off, leave running until finished.
As stu says above, keep the average speed above 8.5, because auto pause is turned off that average will drop if one stops.
I’ve been using a wheel sensor (with my Garmin) as I find this more accurate than GPS, also doesn’t drain the battery on my Fenix 5 watch
Alexinthepeaks

Post by Alexinthepeaks »

With Regards to the Rules - can a down jacket be supplemented for a sleeping bag? I have no intention to stop riding and didnt fancy carting a sleeping bag around with me? Obv will take a lightweight survival bag as a shelter...what do the weight weenies do?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

can a down jacket be supplemented for a sleeping bag?
No.
I have no intention to stop riding
Intentions are one thing. Reality is another :wink:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 am With Regards to the Rules - can a down jacket be supplemented for a sleeping bag? I have no intention to stop riding and didnt fancy carting a sleeping bag around with me? Obv will take a lightweight survival bag as a shelter...what do the weight weenies do?
Spend money unfortunately.

A super light Bivi bag and sleeping bag.

Trust me I've tried to skate close the the rules and suffered for it.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Out of interest, Duncan, so what bivy and bag combo did you (or haven't you yet) finally settle on??
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

dlovett wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm
Alexinthepeaks wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 am ...what do the weight weenies do?
Spend money unfortunately.
480g £35 https://www.sleepingbagsoutlet.co.uk/hi ... rlite.html
99g £18 https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ng-bag-p61

But not much money if you commit to a no-stop strategy and therefore only carry enough kit to cling onto life if you have to stop :wink: Risk/balance case for this basically:
dlovett wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm Trust me I've tried to skate close to the rules and suffered for it.
Your call.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would just like to say at this point - the kit list is actually there to help everyone. Not only the riders should they find themselves in a position where they need to stop which might be unplanned but also as a safeguard for me. I'd urge everyone not to put me in the postion of having to come round your house and p1ss through your letterbox.

With regard to kit in general, always remember that no one is going to pick up the pieces from your dropped bollock. Run out of spare tubes 100km from the finish - best get walking. Discover that every pub in mid-Wales is closed - prepare to be hungry, etc. A lot can and will happen in the course of 200km and while you can't predict everything, you can provide yourself with the best chance of finishing ... pushing 50km will make you far slower than carrying 500g in innertubes :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hmm, rules. Having done lots of fell races and “adventure “ races, if the rules state that you must take a fluffy pink wombat then you take a fluffy pink wombat :wink:

I have moving time, average moving speed, overall average speed and stopped time displayed on my data screen. The reasons for each should be obvious.

If you haven’t yet done a bit where you have thought ill of Stuart then be worried :o

Being able to remember the route ahead will save you time rather than having to look at your GPS every five minutes. Saves on battery life too! A Garmin Oregon will last 20hrs on one set of batteries like this. The Oregon also will keep your current recording live while you change batteries but you do have to press resume.

You’ll have times when you are riding with others and either you or they will fall behind. This just happens- tiredness, bonking, the terrain better suited to one of you. Any number of reasons, don’t fret about it.
Last edited by whitestone on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry