Atlas Mountain Race.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Re: Atlas Mountain Race.

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm Given what Nigel and others have said, I'm intrigued to discover whether the event was in some way 'mis-sold' or have we now reached the point that unless explicity told otherwise, we naturally expect any event to be gravel biased?
To be fair the manual stated that a 29er with 2" tyres was the sensible option. The Cutty fits that bill, but some sections were just so rough that flat bars would have been sensible, or even for Salsa to not changed the spec from the V1 having 46cm Woodchippers to the V2 have 44cm Cowchippers!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:47 pm Given what Nigel and others have said, I'm intrigued to discover whether the event was in some way 'mis-sold' or have we now reached the point that unless explicity told otherwise, we naturally expect any event to be gravel biased?
Easy to think a gravel bike might be faster or easier to keep moving I suppose, until you've done a few rides of long days on terrain like that. Surprised JP rode what he did but prob related to a new sponsor. Others may just prefer a bike like that even if it's not quicker in the end? Fashion will be coming into it, not as in 'being cool', just current personal preferences, bikes people have etc.

Johnnystorm, just :-bd hope those tacos were good!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

jameso wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm
Easy to think a gravel bike might be faster or easier to keep moving I suppose, until you've done a few rides of long days on terrain like that. Surprised JP rode what he did but prob related to a new sponsor. Others may just prefer a bike like that even if it's not quicker in the end? Fashion will be coming into it, not as in 'being cool', just current personal preferences, bikes people have etc.

Johnnystorm, just :-bd hope those tacos were good!
I think the dog that I gave one of the tacos to enjoyed it. As for JP, I don't think Rodeo Labs make a Hardtail MTB........yet.*

*Sat with the Petervarys and Rodeo Labs' founder for post-race meal. My lips are sealed. :wink: