Atlas Mountain Race.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Atlas Mountain Race.

Post by jameso »

I'm quite surprised by the seemingly low numbers of mountainbikes present.
Looks like the majority is off-road, either dirt track/road or more desert-like looser stuff. I think the number of drop bar all-road bikes is just a sign of a popular bike format at the mo.
Boab

Post by Boab »

The Instagr$m feed for the race certainly makes it look like it's pretty much all off road. Can't imagine doing some of that on my gravel bike to be honest. Looks like it's been a pretty epic days riding.

P.S. Either some of the trackers are off, not reporting, or are out of battery, as some of the big names haven't moved in a while.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's some lead now. The pace towards the front must be quite mental.
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

An 80km lead over James Haydon after 21/2 days is crazy, let's hope it doesn't snow! Looks like Christian Meier had issues overnight causing a wait for shops to open this morning, he's back moving now, it'll be interesting to see how much ground he can catch up.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The pace is ridiculous

Never say never and all that, but the idea of a race doesn't do it for me. Especially given the terrain and the scenery. I'd want to take twice as long (or more) and just enjoy it

But I have a normal, everyday life with 3 kids so don't have time for that, hence I'm sticking to short trips in the lakes and wales!

I am jealous though, looks incredible
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

https://twitter.com/thisisgrace/status/ ... 9880654849
"Sofiane hasn't slept yet. I repeat, Sofiane hasn't slept yet! This is not a drill! #AMR2020"

Bonkers.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Not only hasn't he slept, according to his tracker, yesterday he was moving for 23.75 hours out of 24. The only hope for his challengers is that following French stereotypes, he goes on strike! :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

He did pretty much the same at the TDR didn’t he?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:30 pm He did pretty much the same at the TDR didn’t he?
Yes. I think it's called "block riding" or something similar. Mike Hall was an early proponent. Basically ride for 48-72hrs then have a longer kip. Repeat.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

He is a phenomenon and , weather permitting, we are possibly going to see the first non stop of Highland 550
Boab

Post by Boab »

Looks like Christian Meier has scratched, due to saddle sores.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
gairym

Post by gairym »

benp1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:39 amNever say never and all that, but the idea of a race doesn't do it for me. Especially given the terrain and the scenery. I'd want to take twice as long (or more) and just enjoy it
100% this ^^^

Absolutely no desire to flog myself in order to do it as fast as possible but I'd love to ride the route in my own time.

My neighbour/buddy is riding it and so I've asked him to leave the .gpx tracks on my Garmin when he gives it back and so I'll give the route a closer going over and see how doable it looks for us mere mortals.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Yes. I think it's called "block riding" or something similar. Mike Hall was an early proponent. Basically ride for 48-72hrs then have a longer kip. Repeat.
Would be really interesting to see how that tactic goes up against the 24hr cycle stuff, about how your body is better off staying on a rhythm linked to daylight and normal patterns etc. Average speed lower at night so may as well sleep a little while it's dark rather than when the block end 'stage post' is reached. If you took it down to 2hrs max per 24 to balance out with Mike's blocks of maybe 6hrs kip per 72hrs .. I wonder which gives you the best recovery and average speed. Different results for different riders. I think Mike's use of blocks was as much about the quality of food. sleep and kit wash etc from a lodge, vs being a trail-side dosser.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

K1100T wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm Looks like Christian Meier has scratched, due to saddle sores.
It’s been good have Christian in the race, I’ve seen in plenty of forums in years gone by saying that a pro (or ex pro) roadie wouldn’t be able to hack it in these sort of endurance events (citing no team support, no bottles, no bed each night, only 5 hours riding per day etc etc). Good to see the pace of him :-bd

Fair play to Sofiane, that’s blistering pace.

Have seen a couple of photos from Johnnystorm via instagram

Any heard from Shona and Rich?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would be really interesting to see how that tactic goes up against the 24hr cycle stuff, about how your body is better off staying on a rhythm linked to daylight and normal patterns etc. Average speed lower at night so may as well sleep a little while it's dark rather than when the block end 'stage post' is reached. If you took it down to 2hrs max per 24 to balance out with Mike's blocks of maybe 6hrs kip per 72hrs .. I wonder which gives you the best recovery and average speed. Different results for different riders. I think Mike's use of blocks was as much about the quality of food. sleep and kit wash etc from a lodge, vs being a trail-side dosser.
I'd be interested in how it effects recovery after the race and in the longterm.
Not heard owt, so hopefully Shona hasn't knocked herself out this time :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Agreed James, there is the food and lodgings side to it as well - rural Americana isn't the place to go for haute cuisine :lol:

I've done an overnighter and TBH it's knackering - particularly through the early hours you think you are riding quickly but using Strava or similar you might as well be walking. Then there's the halucinations :shock: Conversely I've done the two hour (well ninety minutes) power nap and felt fine after that. Details wise: 262km/4700m in 31hrs vs 300km/6700m in 29hrs. Actual riding time was within five minutes between the two rides. So for me it's a no brainer. Whether I could do that for a second or third night I've no idea.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:46 pm
K1100T wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm Looks like Christian Meier has scratched, due to saddle sores.
It’s been good have Christian in the race, I’ve seen in plenty of forums in years gone by saying that a pro (or ex pro) roadie wouldn’t be able to hack it in these sort of endurance events (citing no team support, no bottles, no bed each night, only 5 hours riding per day etc etc). Good to see the pace of him :-bd
Not in any way attempting to belittle the above ex-pro or his achievements BUT him riding fast for a while and then succumbing to exactly the kind of issue that some folk said ex-pros wouldn't be suited to dealing with arguably reinforces the opinions of those neh-sayers, no???

Totally likely that's not the case and that he's hard as nails, prepared properly etc... and just got unlucky but just thought your assessment didn't quite prove the point you said it did. :???:

Thoughts on a postcard.....
atk

Post by atk »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:48 pm
Not heard owt, so hopefully Shona hasn't knocked herself out this time :wink:
Sounds like she was conscious ~40 minutes ago https://www.instagram.com/p/B8rCeliFNpU/
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Stu Taylors wheel is dead - he's now scratched :(

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I saw he was showing as scratched this morning, wondered why, that looks pretty terminal :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

gairym wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:10 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:46 pm
Not in any way attempting to belittle the above ex-pro or his achievements BUT him riding fast for a while and then succumbing to exactly the kind of issue that some folk said ex-pros wouldn't be suited to dealing with arguably reinforces the opinions of those neh-sayers, no???

Totally likely that's not the case and that he's hard as nails, prepared properly etc... and just got unlucky but just thought your assessment didn't quite prove the point you said it did. :???:

Thoughts on a postcard.....
Sort of puts a flaw into my argument* :lol:

*Ill give myself some credit and say that I was thinking of it before he scratched but what the heck
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I was looking so hard at the tape on the rim and wondering if that had been the cause of the issue that I failed to see the missing spokes :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

I reckon Sofiane must have to sleep tonight? His pace is insane!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Andy's going well ... hope I haven't jinxed him there. :wink:
drjon

Post by drjon »

fwiw - I read somewhere that Meier felt his prep was not great due to time constraints but was going to have a bash anyway....the pace of the front runners is pretty remarkable....over the last few years these bikepacking races seem to have transcended into the realm of superhuman....

its a very photogenic area from what ive seen on the 'gram, that's for sure.