Suggest a drybag that'll fit me this

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest a drybag that'll fit me this

Post by redefined_cycles »

Its my Rab Microlight down jacket. Fits into its own pocket but remains super bulky.

Just realised I can compact it nicely like this and hopefully csrry it upfront on/as a harness extra.

Just need to find a drybag that'll hold it safely.

For ref the slipper is a size10 and my glove/hand size is a large.

Anyone got any suggestions. Happy to go custom if anyone has any decent recommendations that's not gonna cost me a kidney. Main criteria being waterproofness (so probably rolltop) and light(ish).

Thanks a farmers bundle (or is it a bakers dozen :???: ... I never did pass the UK citizenship test... dont tell Boris... or Donald :-bd )
Jurassic pusher

Re: Suggest a drybag that'll fit me this

Post by Jurassic pusher »

It looks as if it would fit into a 5 litre drybag, Alpkit ones are nice and reasonably priced.
I assume the slipper is not going in the as well? :wink:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I just cram mine into the 13l bar bag I use for my quilt, mat and clothes.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Same as rudedog just squish mine in with my sleeping kit
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Ditto
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Another one for "just cram it in". It's down so will mould around whatever's already in the bag avoiding wasted space - useful for padding around (non-sharp) solid objects.

Having everything in its own bag wastes space - drop a load of tennis balls in a box and you'll see that there's loads of space between them (in this case it's nearly 50% of the total volume) - because the bag takes its own shape which doesn't correspond with either the bags around it or the containing bag.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Thanks people... I was hoping to try and get something a bit more compact and cylindrical so it can sit independently of the othrr sleep system so can be pulled out easier before bedtime.

Also being cyclinder shaped I could stuff it into frame bag without too much issue but seem as though all the 2L (which I reckon I can fit it in: like a 1.5L volvic bottle size) drybags are wierd shaped so won't do my job :smile:

Might just have to consider keeping with drybag and sleepong bag then unless someone miraculously thibks of a way :-bd

(Thinking out loud: wonder if Stu can make summat out of cuben and tightly knit and what kinds of price we talking :???: )
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:21 am Another one for "just cram it in". It's down so will mould around whatever's already in the bag avoiding wasted space - useful for padding around (non-sharp) solid objects.

Having everything in its own bag wastes space - drop a load of tennis balls in a box and you'll see that there's loads of space between them (in this case it's nearly 50% of the total volume) - because the bag takes its own shape which doesn't correspond with either the bags around it or the containing bag.
Yeah... fair point Bob... I'm originally from Huddersfield :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

In the distant mists of time some people just used a plastic bag for stuff. They still make them and they still work, though of course they don't scream "FANATICALLY ORGANISED BIKE PACKER" quite as loudly.

:wink: and :cool:
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 am In the distant mists of time some people just used a plastic bag for stuff. They still make them and they still work, though of course they don't scream "FANATICALLY ORGANISED BIKE PACKER" quite as loudly.

:wink: and :cool:
I think you my friend, are onto summat. Might try n weld one together out of AlDis finest
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thinking out loud: wonder if Stu can make summat out of cuben and tightly knit
I could but I don't see any real point. As just about everyone else has said - stick it in with your sleeping bag. Generally, you'll be wanting to get your bag out and left it loft as soon as you stop and you're under cover. It's probably at that time that you'll be wanting to stick your jacket on too :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Also another one for stuffing it

On a separate note, when I do want to waterproof things that aren't going to take a beating, say my FAK in my framebag or my bed kit (eye mask, ear plugs, chapstick, talc), I put them in a ziplock bag.

Ikea sell a box of the little bags in various sizes, and they're surprisingly hard wearing. And cheap. And see through.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:47 am
Thinking out loud: wonder if Stu can make summat out of cuben and tightly knit
I could but I don't see any real point. As just about everyone else has said - stick it in with your sleeping bag. Generally, you'll be wanting to get your bag out and left it loft as soon as you stop and you're under cover. It's probably at that time that you'll be wanting to stick your jacket on too :wink:
Ok... fair enough. Erm, the bear has spoken :-bd question (but not thread as anyone can say whatever they like I guess) I stand down :shock:
drjon

Post by drjon »

ive been messing around with strap deck bags - im sending Andy at backcountry.scot some soon. I make them, from various materials. they are not waterproof but are water resistant...

the latter ones I made are 27cm circumference - just bigger than a waterbottle...

keep an eye on backcountry if you are interested...

redefined_cycles

They don't look too bad at all DrJon... well done. Will keep an eye out :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

The smallest drybags I have found are 2l karrimor ones. You can get them pretty cheap from sports direct. It will be the red xxs size. I can't remember if they are three or four quid.
There are a few 1l drybags listed on eBay but I haven't ever used or seen one.