Gravel tyre that plays nice with Stans rims

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Gravel tyre that plays nice with Stans rims

Post by Al »

I’m swapping the wheels on my gravel bike from wtb rims to stans iron cross. Currently have 40c nanos on and I like them a lot.

I know from previous experience they won’t play nice with the stans rims (far too tight) so wondering if anyone has used anything similar to a 40c nano without issues on a stans rim.

Was thinking of trying the non spendy folding schwalbe g-one that can be had for about £24. Not strictly a tubeless version but have heard positive reports of them working fine.
middleagedmadness

Re: Gravel tyre that plays nice with Stans rims

Post by middleagedmadness »

Have a look at gravel kings SK Al swapped my Riddler's out and they are a much more robust tyre but still roll really well
Al

Post by Al »

Tan wall !
What width did you go for? Not sure 43s would clear my fork
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

I've happily fitted tubeless Nano 40's onto my Stans Alpha400 rims, set them up tubeless no problem. Have you actually tried fitting them on the Iron Cross (plenty of washing up liquid and a tubeless inflator perhaps)?
Never knowingly under biked...
middleagedmadness

Al wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:59 pm Tan wall !
What width did you go for? Not sure 43s would clear my fork
I can only get 38's in the croix de fer but they come up quite large think they measure 39.6 and I didn't go for the tan wall just plain black think they were £27 from either tredz or Merlin
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Rich3rd wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:32 am I've happily fitted tubeless Nano 40's onto my Stans Alpha400 rims, set them up tubeless no problem. Have you actually tried fitting them on the Iron Cross (plenty of washing up liquid and a tubeless inflator perhaps)?
Get the tyre nice and warm too.
Al

Post by Al »

I’ve tried them on a set of spare wheels with crest rims and it was a definite no go - crazy tight beads. I believe stans and wtb use a slightly different standard to size their rims (one is ust, one isn’t - can’t remember which).
I will definitely try the nanos first before spending any money as perhaps iron cross are a different kettle of fish to iron cross, but I’m anticipating not.

Thanks for the sizing on the panracer Stu - sounds like I’d go for the same as you.
middleagedmadness

Can't fault them al ,like most of my kit they get abused and stand up well
gairym

Post by gairym »

Al wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:52 pm I’m swapping the wheels on my gravel bike from wtb rims to stans iron cross. Currently have 40c nanos on and I like them a lot.

I know from previous experience they won’t play nice with the stans rims (far too tight) so wondering if anyone has used anything similar to a 40c nano without issues on a stans rim.
Weirdly I've had loads of issues getting my Nanos (700/40c) up tubeless on both Luv Mud and Hope wheels/rims and yet the only time I ever got them to work tubeless was on a pair of Crests - go figure???
Al

Post by Al »

That is weird. I snapped two meaty pedros tyre levers just getting them on the rim.
New wheels should show up tomorrow - I shall l report back...
Al

Post by Al »

Well the Nanos have gone up on the Iron cross rims with no drama. So I’m chuffed but left puzzled why the same pair of tyres proved such a nightmare on Crest rims - didn’t think they’d be that different.