Winter footwear.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Winter footwear.

Post by Richpips »

The postie has just brought some Bontrager OMW boots which look like they have the potential to keep my toes toasty on a certain ride this winter if I can keep my toes dryish.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for vapour barrier socks?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Winter footwear.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ex MOD Goretex boot liners are good Rich but they'll taking a bit of tracking down - most of the surplus places seem to have no stocks although they list them.

The RAB VB socks look alright but as with any true VP, they don't breath (designed not to) so really you might as well put bread bags on your feet - much cheaper :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Ive had some success with plastic bags in the past, the are not durable though.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Forget staying dry... trust me.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've used VB socks (Black Diamond from memory) in the past for Alpine winter and Himalayan climbing. It's got to be properly cold for them to be effective. Best to wear a very lightweight liner sock under them - I used to use Helly Hansen Lifa socks. You need elasticated cuffs of some sort to keep the sweat in otherwise you just keep sweating.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Forget staying dry... trust me.
Don’t be like that Dave. :wink:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Richpips wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm Ive had some success with plastic bags in the past, the are not durable though.
On one of my charity rides (r#apha500 for the orphans I think)... a soft type of one cos it was all road but still. On day2 afyer getting past the snow of Nottingham thankfully, it started pouring and pouring and pour8ng. Had my waterproofs thus water didnt run down leg into my boots (goretex approach shoes: Five10 guide tennie... amazing) but cos they was on their last legs, the sole started letting through water and drenched me from the inside...

Was super cold. Another lad who was meant to join me had to abort with his posh bike cos of the ice. After about 7 hours (longer on the rosd) of riding and just before the night set in, weather had dried down but feet freezing. I always follow Mike H (spare socks and chamois are compulsory) approach so stopped (I still remember it vivdly and that was 2 years ago). I stopped, put on spare socks, and lined the sock - away from the inside goretex drenched boots - with 2 carrier bags*. It worked a treat and got to the destination comfy feet with none of the funny stuff that happens to em in extended moisture...

Anyway, congrats on your OMW boots. Proper nice them. I've not abled to afford but my replacement for the Five10 Guide tennies should be here soon... some Arcteryx down to 100£. Don't like vibram soles as always found em slippery but hopefully these will be different :-bd

*That was when carrier bags wrre (just about) still carrier bags so might not work these days
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My OMWs were quite a tight fit when I first got them. They've stretched a little since then. Might be important if you are planning to wear a liner sock etc. Maybe do a good few miles in them before your, err, ride.

Also - I don't fit cleats to mine, preferring to use plastic pedals in winter on account of heat loss. The SPD cover on the OMWs is quite a brittle plastic and one of mine shattered. I've replaced it with a softer "rubber" one off another pair of shoes. Makes them a bit grippier too. I've considered fitting studs for the worst of conditions but not got around to it.

The little D ring on the front is great for fitting gaiters too.

I really like mine. The only thing I'd really like to change is to have a more robust sole on the bootee so it could be used in bothies etc.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Richpips wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:48 pm potential to keep my toes toasty on a certain ride this winter if I can keep my toes dryish.
Finland, or Alaska?!

Liking my dexshells so far. I'd also recommend Smartwool extra thick socks - very warm and comfy.
Do you need to borrow a -30 sleeping bag? :wink:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

My OMWs were quite a tight fit when I first got them. They've stretched a little since then. Might be important if you are planning to wear a liner sock etc. Maybe do a good few miles in them before your, err, ride.

Also - I don't fit cleats to mine, preferring to use plastic pedals in winter on account of heat loss. The SPD cover on the OMWs is quite a brittle plastic and one of mine shattered. I've replaced it with a softer "rubber" one off another pair of shoes. Makes them a bit grippier too. I've considered fitting studs for the worst of conditions but not got around to it.

The little D ring on the front is great for fitting gaiters too.

I really like mine. The only thing I'd really like to change is to have a more robust sole on the bootee so it could be used in bothies etc.
I got two sizes up on my usual shoes and they seem loose enough with some mid weight socks. I reckon some thin socks inside a VBL plus yes, I'm planning on getting some gaiters too.
Finland, or Alaska?!

Liking my dexshells so far. I'd also recommend Smartwool extra thick socks - very warm and comfy.
Do you need to borrow a -30 sleeping bag? :wink:
Scotland.

If you have no need for that sleeping bag I'd be interested in it for what you paid.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Rich... You n Dave doing a winter HT550 ?? Is it just the 2 of you or is there little pips too... hope everything runs really smoothly and stays dry :-bd