DSLR bag for bike trips

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

DSLR bag for bike trips

Post by petemaz »

I've just got myself a DSLR with the intention to take it out on future bike trips. I know many on here likely only use a phone or a compact camera, but it's something I've been after for a while. So for those that do take a DSLR, how do you store the camera/lenses when out and about? I'm thinking I want a bag that's easy to get in and out of, offers decent protection (padded/rain cover perhaps) and is possibly a 'sling-like' design so I can wear over my back and have easy access when needed. Any suggestions?

thanks!
ScotRoutes

Re: DSLR bag for bike trips

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd consider something like an Ortlieb Bar bag - the "old-fashioned" box shape. You can pad it, there are dividers and it can be easily removed. There is even a shoulder strap.

However, shock might still be an issue, in which case you are back to a rucksack of some sort.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I have mine in a neoprene sleeve type case. It then sits on top of my front bar roll. I put a strap going horizontally between the two bar bag attachment straps and I just tuck the lens of the dslr under that. The camera strap I then loop over the fuel pod bag to act as a fail-safe. I keep my sleeping bag and pad in the front bag so it acts as a shock absorbing cushion for the camera. You could make this a sort of holster but it won't waterproof of course and the camera will probably bounce out at some point. I do try to cover mine up when it rains, even in the neoprene case.

I looked into making my own holster sling type case but they are not easy and difficult to make it so you can use it without it swinging round the front and banging on things. There is also the issue that if you come off the bike it could well cause you to break a rib or two (as happened to Michael Woods in the TDF with his radio).

Occasionally motion blur is nice when on the bike, but mostly I will be stopping to shoot anyway, so having the camera on the front is not a big deal.

You can see my camera on the front in this photo:

An example of the neoprene case thingy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Pro-Large ... SwO09crxp5
Last edited by Borderer on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How about some sort of waist pack? I bought Dee one a few years ago and it seems very good, I'll have a look what it was, might be made by Crumpler.
May the bridges you burn light your way
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Cheers all for the advice. Think I'd rather have the camera on me rather than on the bars, so that's why I thought about a sling sort of bag. Waist bags might also work I guess. I did notice a crumpler bag on bikepacking.com Stu, but it was only available in the US and think it is no longer made. I'd appreciate the name/model of yours if you can find out and if it would take a larger camera? Thanks a lot
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not Crumpler at all Pete. It is a Lowe Pro Outback 100. Like this.

May the bridges you burn light your way
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:07 pm Not Crumpler at all Pete. It is a Lowe Pro Outback 100. Like this.

Thanks for this Stu, much appreciated
composite

Post by composite »

I was about to suggest a waist pack or I think the technical term is lumber pack actually. :lol: Bum bag is also the least cool thing to call them.. no wait that's fanny pack haha.

I have used the Montane Batpack6 in the past. Not camera specific but it worked. I guess it will depend on the size of your lenses and how many you carried. I was generally using a 50mm Prime with a 600D so it fit nicely. Wearing on the waist is good cause you can slide it around and get to the camera very quickly whilst still sitting on the bike. It's far quicker and easier than a backpack.

petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks Composite, that's a good shout I used to have a Batpack but sold it on :roll:
I'll look around for another one, cheers
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've used a Montane Bat Pack before works well.

If carrying a heavy bag with a few lenses for work I use my F-stop bag. Usually riding to somewhere to take shots of people riding though,then pack and move on. If riding for pleasure, I have a bar mounted Porcelain Rocket bag I use - Mini Slinger. I quite often end up riding with two bodies - Sony (digital) and Leica (film) with the ability to use the same lenses for shooting.

FWIW, I moved away from DSLR to mirrorless specifically for riding duties - size, weight and battering of the mirror also being part of it. Only SLR I have is analog.

Its up to what works for you!
composite

Post by composite »

GregMay wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:08 pm
FWIW, I moved away from DSLR to mirrorless specifically for riding duties - size, weight and battering of the mirror also being part of it. Only SLR I have is analog.
What mirrorless are you using Greg?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

A7 and a Leica Q
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Depending upon what you are carrying it can be a bad idea. I was once horse riding with a 1d/80-200 and a 1d/300 on a shoulder/high pack. When the horse decided it didn't want to be ridden I fell off backwards and the weight of kit ensured I landed on my neck and shoulders. The kit to some of the impact but I was stuck on the ground for a few minutes before I could move. I was quite lucky that it didn't break my neck or spine. If you aren't looking at anything bigger then a 200 fish then I would go with a holster bag on top of whatever bar bags you have. That way should you leave the said bike the extra weight, glass and metal won't inure you.

As for manufacturer, I only use Lowe Pro Bags as that's what we always had at work. They never wear out even as daily bags.

Something like this strapped horizontally on your bar bag straps. It also means you can stop use it and get moving quickly.

https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/toploader ... 04-config/
Gari

Post by Gari »

As mentioned above, I have used an old Lowepro toploader for several years for dslr/mirrorless cameras. I use primes rather than zooms but could get a 35 or 50 in underneath a body/short lens. A 70-200ish would fit no problem. Used from Ffordes( https://www.ffordes.com/search/Lowepro ) is pretty cost effective, bought loads from them and have found them to be very reliable.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/8 ... d9jbEL5hlJ