Animated map line test

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

composite

Animated map line test

Post by composite »

One of the things that I always wanted to do in my videos of old was an animated line on a map to show a route. It always posed me a bigger challenge than I thought it should do though, and I never got to a point of a satisfactory animation. I have been playing around with it as I'm aiming to make some videos again and finally I've done something I'm reasonably happy with. Probably still needs some tweaking but here's the proof of concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W8uwwZWZY4
Last edited by composite on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
composite

Re: Animated map line test

Post by composite »

er... how weird Vimeo keeps disabling my new account. I guess I'll find somewhere else to upload it. :|
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Niel. Theres an app called Relive which does just that and possibly more. Not sure if thats any help. But well done with the current map/line...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Relive used to do this automatically based on your strava activity, but they spotted it fairly recently

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dcra ... e.html/amp
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I quite like the first one. How was it done?
composite

Post by composite »

The output from Relive is not really to my taste but I can totally understand why people like it.

I used Run Particles http://renderfast.com/runparticles/ to generate the line, screen captured the live playback at 1080p, and used Camtasia Studio to add the dots and text.

Long term I would maybe change up the workflow and use After Effects instead but this was quick and dirty and actually came out better than I expected.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I have tried many many ways of doing this and settled on using Apple Motion as the best. Reason is that I have complete control over the animation. My workflow was to import the GPS trace and map tiles as an image and then draw bezier curves on top of the GPS trace. You have amazing control over the animation of these and it only takes a few minutes to create each curve, I did all of the animated maps in the Sweary Divide vid using this method.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
composite

Post by composite »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 pm I have tried many many ways of doing this and settled on using Apple Motion as the best. Reason is that I have complete control over the animation. My workflow was to import the GPS trace and map tiles as an image and then draw bezier curves on top of the GPS trace. You have amazing control over the animation of these and it only takes a few minutes to create each curve, I did all of the animated maps in the Sweary Divide vid using this method.
It must be at least 5 or 6 years since I last tried to do this and at that time I was Mac based and using Final Cut and Motion. I was sh1t at Motion though and never really pursued it.

I don't really want to get into drawing lines by hand though honestly. I want to just use gpx data. I'm Windows-based these days and use After Effects somewhat. Mostly just lower third, title sequences and keyframe animating though. There must be a way of importing a gpx file as a shape and compositing with some map tiles. Alternatively, I could output the yellow line that I used in this example with a pure black background and then maybe in Premiere chromakey a better map behind it.

There are some stunning plugins though, GEOlayers would be amazing to have! https://vimeo.com/248306385