Fed up with Garmin. Alternatives?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MarkW

Fed up with Garmin. Alternatives?

Post by MarkW »

I've got a Garmin Etrex 35 touchscreen. It's caused me a lot of problems recently. So I'm looking at alternatives. Can anyone recommend anything?

My main requirements are:
  • OS mapping capable/compatible
  • multi-day battery life (be it with replaceable or whatever).
  • Waterproof
  • bar mountable
Recently it lost a huge ride, then wouldnt keep rides (support sorted that out), HRM stopped working, and now will no longer connect to PC to add OS maps.

I've signed up for my first BB200 this year so I would like something I can rely on to get me through that.
ScotRoutes

Re: Fed up with Garmin. Alternatives?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oregon is quite popular around these parts.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find the earlier (more basic) Garmins to be fine. I have a Dakota 20 that's never let me down and as Colin suggests, the Oregon is a similar beast.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I just use an android phone. I have never really understood why I would need a Garmin. Maybe someone can enlighten me....
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry to have to say this as its not the done thing. I didnt have the OS versions of garmin...

But I also got fed up of my shitty Garmins. Fed up with a passion of the nasty ***ckers... Garmin 520... Garmin 1000 and (I shouldnt be mean to this but) the 720 with its little joystick. The one that Mike (Hall) used to have.

Bought a Wahoo Bolt. Thought 'what on earth' at the tiny screen and black/whiteness. Then used it... Then thought, WOW... Then used it soke more.. then tried to use the 1000... then thought 'Eeugh'... Then got rid of the 520. Then smiled. Then used the Bolt some more... then got rid of the 520 and smiled a bit more cos the 720 was still there as my backup...

Then used the Bolt some more. Then got rid of the 720 as the backup and thought 'I'll just use my massive grid of OS maps bought on the phone/ViewRanger as backup'.. Then sold the 720... used the Bolt... Sold the Bolt to happy happy new user on here.. Then purchased the Wahoo ROAM and laffed a bit at how cheap it was compared to the sh***y Garmins and started a long term review on BrotherBearBones :-bd :grin:

Oh... thats the :grin: and :smile: I have on now just thinking of it... In fact, I'm going to fondle it just now (the ROAM :lol: )
redefined_cycles

Borderer wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:07 pm I just use an android phone. I have never really understood why I would need a Garmin. Maybe someone can enlighten me....
I was enlightened about 5 years ago after a particluarly wet day out around the Rossendale roads somewhere... about 5 hours of lovely driving rain and me happy that my phone (with a Quadlock mounted to bars) which was waterproof (Samsung NOTE4 if I recall correctly) was handling it all.

Turned out when I got home/to the place we was staying, it had a nervous breakdown and kind of flickered itself to death. Probably cos the case it was in so it doesnt hurt itself when ejected (an adapted otterBox I'll have you know) must've gotten drenched snd then the phone bathed in that drenchiness for next 5 hours and when we arrived home it finally had a nervous breakdown.

Went and got the Garmin(s) and (I want to say 'happier' here but couldn't get on with the nasties ^ see my last post) was happy that my new phone could be stored away from the elements. Then got the wahoo and the rest is kind of History...

Borderer, try the Bolt for starters as summar cheap n cheerful. Probably able to be picked on enay for around a Hubdred these days
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I just use an android phone. I have never really understood why I would need a Garmin.
waterproof and battery life are the main ones.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Waterproof. Robustness. And for the Oregon, AA batteries.

FWIW, I've had very few issues with any of the 5 Garmins I've owned over the years (I still have/use 3 of them). Most things I read about problems seem to relate to the Edge series. My Edge 705 is still motoring on after 11 years and one battery replacement.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

The phone is an Oukitel K10000 with a 10,000 mAh battery life. So lots of juice. It's a 4 day battery under normal conditions, but only around 2.5 days if continuously using gps. I have a dynamo hub to extend that though.

It sits in a Topeak case that is completely waterproof (tried and tested). It's a brick (twice the weight and thickness of a regular phone but other dimensions similar), so very robust. I haven't managed to crack the screen yet and I have tried.

It also does all the things a phone can do.

It cost £130 new on eBay a year ago.

I still don't get it. :???:
redefined_cycles

In that case Borderer... Seems you're onto a winner. 4 day battery life and 2.5 with gps on: not bad that :cry:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I’d rather keep the battery on my phone for making calls if I need to. Plus it isn’t paid for yet :wink:

Another Oregon user here for off-road. 18-20 hours on a charge, plus runs off AA batteries so easy to source. OS or OSM maps, big screen

In contrast to others I’ve found my Garmins to be fine. My 510 lasted eight years until the memory started to be a little temperamental. The 520 replacement has so far had zero problems
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

A massive plus for Garmin units is the fact you can change the basemaps using their IMG file format. I even render my own (when I can be arsed). Sites such as this http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ allow you to download custom maps for the whole of the world and install them simply by copying a file.

I had to buy an Etrex Touch 35 on the Tour Divide when my Oregon got damaged. It is a terrible unit and I'm a Garmin fanboi. I have no idea what Garmin were thinking as it has terrible battery life and seemed flaky as hell picking up satellites. Bin it for a Dakota or Oregon.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

I took a chance and bought a Garmin Edge 530 in May.

A few glitches at first but it's performing well.

It weighs 78g, has a very good battery life, charges quickly, and has tons of connectivity options which I don't use.

A few minutes after I've saved my ride, it's automatically in Garmin Connect on my phone, PC, etc. via Bluetooth.

It's got the same attachment for the handlebars as my Edge 800, and it comes with a very neat lanyard for extra security.

So I'll definitely give it a big thumbs up :-bd
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've never had any problems with my Garmins. There's a 500, 810, etrex 20x and 30x on regular use, all have been faultless.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I had a few problems with my Edge a few years ago. Did a search and was advised to delete the memory each time it played up.
Every time I have a glitch - delete memory - glitch gone. But that is on my unit.

For the last couple of years I have been going into the charity shops and buying vintage maps.
I was in Mull last week riding on a map from the 70's.
In the Lakes, my 2 maps (£1 each) from the 60s, sell for £40 (I assume for the USA tourists)

My Cairngorm's map seems to be printed (1964) on papyrus - who on here has navigated using a papyrus map - I ask?

Luddite Revivalism at its best.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Just checked the map - they cost 15/- net, and still do and it actually says - printed on cloth!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave - I keep meaning to generate my own maps off the OSM data, is there a suitable walk-through anywhere? Basically I'd like better defined colours and contrast for woods, bridleways and the like. Aging eyesight needs all the help it can get :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just checked the map - they cost 15/- net, and still do and it actually says - printed on cloth!
Ooh yes, a goodly collection of cloth Bartholomew's maps at the Towers, lovely things they are :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bob I used this as a basis and then modified the scripts to use a lot of different data

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vectormap2garmin/

It's not maintained anymore. I updated it to use the OS Openmap data and added the ITT's and bothies etc...

I must get it up and running again soon, if you can't be arsed doing all of ^^ then let me know what you want and I'll try and do it. I remember the config files for rendering being like Sanscrit, it was not easy to work with at all.
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Thanks for all the replies!

I had looked at the wahoo (it does look good), and others, but without a removable batter you have to plug it in to charge on the go, which in welsh weather could lead to water getting in (or putting it in a waterproof bag). Removable batteries are just a 20 second swap and you're ready to go again.

I have been using my android phone as a backup, but of late that too has been unreliable. Its quite an old model (waterproof with removable battery :-bd ) and seems apps tend to be not very optimised these days so it chugs along.

I also looked at the edge 1030 with add on battery, but that's a big money! :shock:

I think I will have a look at some of the dakota/oregon. Thanks!

@Dave Barter Yeah I'm a fan of loading different maps too. I have 1:25000 OS mapping on mine

Funnily enough I suspect my etrex losing the ride was because it hadn't had enough time to save before I switched off and replaced the batteries after about 8 hours riding, but ever since then it kept erroring until I deleted some of the saved tracks (or clearing the memory as you say @Rasta).

Out of interest @refined_cycles - can you load Ordnance survey maps onto the wahoo?
redefined_cycles

Mark... regards loading OS maps. Unfortunately not. They use the open opentreetmaps which Dave once mentioned I think...

The older ones didnt have colour but the newer ROAM at least has blue (for water... which is something I really missed from having OA) and a few other colours for certain type of road... the off road tracks and walking paths are also slight different textures and it really is unbelievable how well it all works together and how easy it is to figure out where you wanna go using it...

Yes, recharging (at least it charges whilst its in use unlike one of my bike torches :smile: ) can be an issue if you needed to ride for longer than 20ish hours and it kept chucking it down for that amount. In my head I get round that by thinking of it as a kind of compulsory break tgat will need to be had at hour 20...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Waterproof iPhone+ son dynamo+ ViewRanger works a treat and has taken me across two countries ( Spanish C2C and Jogle) plus countless off-road trips.
Never crashes, always saves my ride and can use multiple mapping applications and does all sorts of fancy stuff like taking really good photos, I could even use it to phone my wife if I felt so inclined :shock:

Today I was out for about six hours with the screen on and got home with 80% battery, more than I left with :-bd admittedly that was with a fairly large proportion of road, when off-road I use a cashe battery, mainly to stop the infernal pinging as the charging stops and starts.

With careful battery management ( airplane mode and screen brightness lowered) it’s not much worse than most garmins.

I brought and quickly sold two garmin’s, very poor screen resolution, clunky software and various other issues. These things are really not cheap and frankly I expect much better for the considerable outlay, I’ll not be look at another until they can make something which has the reliably of my phone but with battery life measured into days. They really need to up their game, it’s 2019 :roll:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Oregon reviews on Amazon uk. Really bad.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Have an Oregon 700
Been very reliable

Built in battery
The battery on the edge 1030 would likely last 20 hours
For a 12 hour day my 1030 drops to 50%, then recharge in the evening in the tent from a usb pack
Double that with the external (weather sealed) pack. Have a pack for use during bb200
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Rasta wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:18 pm Oregon reviews on Amazon uk. Really bad.
Some of them were clearly written by "older generation" types

This is where you go for GPS reviews. Sadly he has not done an Oregon one

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin