Does anyone use a synthetic sleeping bag.?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bumpy Jonas

Does anyone use a synthetic sleeping bag.?

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

I have used a down bag of sorts for 20 years climbing, tramping, sea kayaking, bike touring and more recently bike packing. However, going down the tarp route now instead of tents and looking at something I am not going to worry about getting damp etc. I have always thought synthetic bags as cold and heavy with poor pack size any hints or suggestions.? Cheers Peter
ScotRoutes

Re: Does anyone use a synthetic sleeping bag.?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used MH Lamina bags quite a lot, mainly for the same reasons of avoiding trouble with damp. Then I realised that I never actually got my bags damp and so was carrying extra weight and bulk for no reason. I already had down bags so decided just to use them instead. A lightweight bivvy bag will help avoid dampness too and the combined weight can still be less than a synthetic bag.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Colin says, chances of getting a down bag wet enough to cause a reduction in performance or lasting damage are very slim. I very rarely use a tent and nearly always use down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I only use synthetic and have never used down in any product so cannot really compare the two side by side
Until you get to sub zero they are comparable weights and sizes generally

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -bags-t743

That has them filtered by weight and only synthetic
I have the oscar for summer - never use the compression sack as the bigger pics is it at max and just stuff it in its tiny . You need thermals in that in all but the warmest of nights. At the limits of its temp it does not really get warm or feel warm - only really notice if get up for a piss and when i return its not warm at all when you get in - possibly losses the temp quickly ?

Have this for colder

https://rockrun.com/collections/synthet ... f-0-c-long

Really need something between the two

No idea as I use a tent but never been damp in either.
Have you considered the SOL escape BIvvy - waterproof and breathable and cheap and light.Never used one mind but considering ti to extend range of light bag .

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... al-kits-m1
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

Thanks guys will stick with my down and use a bivvi bag. Just overthinking again and looking for an excuse to save £99 by spending £100 on a bright yellow Mountain Hardwear Bag. Cheers
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bumpy Jonas wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 pm Thanks guys will stick with my down and use a bivvi bag. Just overthinking again and looking for an excuse to save £99 by spending £100 on a bright yellow Mountain Hardwear Bag. Cheers
Last night I did a (very uncontrolled) test.

Bag1 being the PHD 600g rated down to +5 with 900fill power down....

Bag2 being the MH Hyperlamina yellow with synthetic down (probably the one you talk of above) and a 0 degree comfort rating. 850ish grams of loveliness.

The test consisted of sleeping in it with just my boxers in the bedroom. I've done this test before with the PHD but that was probably in circa 10C (I did say it was uncontrolled) and I managed to get through the night without boiling up too much. With the MH last night I woke up and had somehow slithered or removed myself from it overnight.

Errrr, conclusion and discussion:

The PHD can sometimes be annoying cos of some flst spots here and there and last BAM at Kinder Scout (2000ft up in the Peaks) in roughly 5 to 7 degreesC, I found an annoying flat/cold spot around where my back was. I was in the PHD and just a Hunka XL Bivy with the Thermarest Neo mat inside. Luckily I got through the night without too much lack of sleep. Had it been the MH yellow I reckon I'd have probably got a better nights sleep cos of the lower comfort rating and I've always been impressed how it feels like theres no flat spots (?due to the way synthetic down is dispersed aswell as the laminating process* by Mountain Hardware).

So the extra bulk of the syntherit bag and weight might be well worth it due to the ability to handle lower temps :geek: but in all honesty the maij control of the experiment was in my bedroom and am yet to try out the MH properly outdoors... Although sleeping in the garden without a mat and just a mink blanket on the tents base, in what was probably temps or down to 6 or 7, it was supremely comfy.

In conclusion, the best bag for you is probably the one you own right now and if/when I need a new bag I'll, erm, probably go with down cos it might save me a few grams :-bd

*Did you know, Mountain Hardware are the only bag manufactuer in the world who have Doctor of Down.. A phD fella who's doctorate is in the lovely stuff :lol:
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

The PHD can sometimes be annoying cos of some flst spots here and there and last BAM at Kinder Scout (2000ft up in the Peaks) in roughly 5 to 7 degreesC, I found an annoying flat/cold spot around where my back was. I was in the PHD and just a Hunka XL Bivy with the Thermarest Neo mat inside. Luckily I got through the night without too much lack of sleep.
Interesting and thanks for the info and the detailed test . I have the same PHD bag and was in a tent in Wales a couple of months ago roughly + 8 to 10 and got a lot of cold spots. I had to put on some warm clothes.

I have just bought a Hunka XL and tarp 3.5 and use a neoair. This with the PHD or The Mountain Hardwear Hyper lamina was going to see me on a 8 week bikepacking trip in New Zealand so your comments have been very helpful. I think the problem with the PHD for me its tight and restrictive mainly in the middle which flattens the down. Its been warm enough generally but allways used it in a tent, bothy, van or a mountain hut in the warmer months. I want the PHD to work and I was hoping it would with the Hunka may have to go up a season with the bag. Cheers Peter
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Forgot to update you BJ... I slept the next day with the PHD in the same conditions and temps in the room felt similar. I managed to get through the night without overheating and only needed to pull the bag down to belly button height to cool off...

I also cheked the temp ratings and they both appear to be simialr (ie. 5 degrees is also the comfort rwting of the MH bag too) but its definitely somewhat warmer than the PHD. So the extra bulk and weight of the MH might be worth it and especially since its less than half the price of the PHD...

I'd say the MH was at least 3 or 4 degrees warmer than the PHD with the weight being an extra 250g(ish). Packed volume is also where the PHD shines aswell. Aftwr packing em both in thw same 8L alpkit airlok bag. I can deifnitely say the MH packs to at least an extra 40 percent vplume over the PHD... to be expected obviously