Columbia Outdry jacket issue

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Columbia Outdry jacket issue

Post by thenorthwind »

I know there are a few other Outdry owners on here. Had mine about a year now and love it. Recently though, I've noticed some of the pattern on the outside is sort of flaking off. Don't think it's affecting waterproof-ness (yet) but wondered if anyone else had noticed the same?

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Columbia Outdry jacket issue

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No, not seen that before. Is it anywhere it could be rubbed? Backpack, bunching up and rubbing itself while riding?
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

It's most obvious on the hood, rather than the shoulders (I use a rucksack with it fairly often). I get the feeling it's caused by scrunching it up.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My jacket is more often scrunched up in a bag than being worn. I've not experienced anything like that.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

No issues here, mine gets scrunched up too. Although mine is also rolled into the hood frequently

Worth an email to columbia to ask
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

benp1 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:41 pm No issues here, mine gets scrunched up too. Although mine is also rolled into the hood frequently
That's what I tend to do with mine. You'd think the hood would therefore be likely to wear due to abrasion, but I can't see anything like that with mine.

As a suggestion - it's not been anywhere a solvent/chemical or even DEET?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Likewise, it often comes with me in a bag but doesn't get used.

Can't think that it's been near any loose solvents - Smidge or skin so soft are my midge barriers of choice, which probably wouldn't do it any good, but the two rarely if ever meet, midges not being a problem in conditions that warrant the jacket.

Never been washed either, for that matter, other than rinsed after particularly muddy rides.

Sent Columbia a photo this morning so we'll see what they say, just interested to know if it was an isolated problem - looks like it (if problem is even the word).

Thanks all.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve had something similar, I think, but less obvious on the neck area behind the hood. Never used a backpack, never washed it, not even worn it that much. It doesn’t seem to affect the performance at all.
custardfeet

Post by custardfeet »

Had mine a few years, it’s been well used, rolled up both wet and dry, thrown in the bottom of a bag and washed in a machine. It shows no sign of wear.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

At length I got a reply from Columbia, which is largely a stock response but includes the words
Regarding the picture you have sent, at first sight this should indeed not happen.
They suggested I get in touch with the shop I bought it from with a view to claiming on the warranty, which I guess is to be expected. I'm a little reluctant, given that it doesn't seem at the moment to be affecting it's waterproof-ness, and I worry at best I might end up with a new jacket and the old one in landfill (part of what attracted me to it was the longer lifespan than a DWR-coated fabric, and the fact it's made from recycled plastic), and I might end up with a credit note for the sale price I bought it for, or a refusal to replace it. Hmmm. Slightly regretting open this can of worms now!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Slightly regretting open this can of worms now!
You don't have to do anything. If you're happy enough just keep wearing it and chalk it up to experience.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sounds like they at least stand by their product at least...

Well done in the ethics dept.

Dont reckon it'll have to go to landfill though as there'll be many on here that'll probably take it off of ya (if you managed to hold on to it which hopefully you would :-bd )
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

You don't have to do anything. If you're happy enough just keep wearing it and chalk it up to experience.
True. I'm probably overthinking it. They said they'd warranty it for two years, so I've still got nearly a year to see whether it has any adverse effects.
Well done in the ethics dept.

Dont reckon it'll have to go to landfill though as there'll be many on here that'll probably take it off of ya (if you managed to hold on to it which hopefully you would :-bd )
Cheers :cool:

I was assuming they'd want me to send it back.