Hilleberg Akto

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Hilleberg Akto

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Any one have any experience of one of these fine tents?
I have read/ watched plenty of reviews and by far the most are very complimentry, from a Blikepacking POV does it pack down small?
I know it is a bit porky weight wise but that is why it is so durable I suppose? Apart from a hefty price are there many downsides to the tent?
I am planning another trip to Scotland and after seeing the weather that the HT 550 and recent Cairngorm loop endured, this tent seems appealing.
cheers.
benp1

Re: Hilleberg Akto

Post by benp1 »

It's one of the most highly rated 1 man tents around.

There's a slight weight penalty for having a proper 1 man tent, with good weather proof features. If you're OK with that then crack on

Personally, I'm too tall for it so I have a TT Scarp 1. Similar design but better for tall folks
Jurassic pusher

benp1 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:55 pm It's one of the most highly rated 1 man tents around.

There's a slight weight penalty for having a proper 1 man tent, with good weather proof features. If you're OK with that then crack on

Personally, I'm too tall for it so I have a TT Scarp 1. Similar design but better for tall folks
Cheers for that Ben, I am short! :-bd
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Bought a good second hand one off ebay not long after i first started bikepacking. They're a brilliant tent, very well thought out & made. Ideal if you need to be out in bad weather. The only real downside is as you mention- it's not the lightest. I'd also say it's ok, but not the roomiest inside. If you're a bigger type of unit might be worth trying one out..
I've always thought of it as an 'old' but dependable design, don't think many alternatives will be 'better', just maybe more suitable for a certain application..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Heavy yet still 500g lighter than my 1 man tent so it's all relative.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hilleberg always get good reviews and press and have done for twenty years or more so they are definitely quality.

There's always compromises when dealing with any tent and it just depends what you are prepared to put up with. For instance: the Akto is about 10cm too low for me to comfortably sit up in, I'm 1.80m, so it would make moving around and sorting things out when in the tent a bit of a faff.

If that didn't bother you and you wanted to save a bit of weight, there's the 3 season Hilleberg Enan, which is a lighter version (just over 1kg) of the Akto but is £50 more. Might not stand up to a winter pitch on the Cairngorm plateau but is likely to be fine for most purposes.

If you use an inflatable sleeping mat and the tent has sloping sides then it's worth noting that you lose a lot of volume in the tent and might find your face pressing against the inner when you try to sleep. I've had this with my Terra Nova Lasercomp, gets a bit claustrophobic!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jurassic pusher

Thanks for the replies, as it happens the Exeter branch of Taunton Leisure has a light weight tent display starting tomorrow (sat) It is only about 40 miles from me so will hopefully be able to try out a few tiny tents for size.
Simple pitching is a must, cold, wet and knackered, blowing horizontal rain in the dark does not make for an easy pitch!
Cheers.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I've got one and am 6'3"... OK in terms of length with a winter bag and mat but sitting up is not quite so good. I can get changes in it in bad weather with not too many issues (no more than trying to get into my socks on any given morning at home :wink: ).

It is bomb proof (or at least feels it) and can be pitched with the inner and outer joined so goes up quick in bad weather.
Venting works well and so you can keep condensation to a minimum too.

Lots of cheaper out there and I think I'd have gone for the lighter version if it had been available at the time.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Jurassic pusher wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:59 pm Thanks for the replies, as it happens the Exeter branch of Taunton Leisure has a light weight tent display starting tomorrow (sat) It is only about 40 miles from me so will hopefully be able to try out a few tiny tents for size.
Simple pitching is a must, cold, wet and knackered, blowing horizontal rain in the dark does not make for an easy pitch!
Cheers.
Seeing the tents in the flesh (nylon?) is well worth doing, diagrams and measurements only tell you so much. We had an MSR 2 person tent on our shortlist but borrowed a friend's 1 person version and it became apparent it wasn't right for us.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve had a couple of hilleburg tents, I had an akto but moved it on quickly. I found it too cramped but I’d yet to embrace TLS. The build quality is second to none. My other hilleburg was a nallo, I loved that tent, the quality really does show and in my opinion they are worth every penny.
My current tent is a nordisk telemark, well worth a look, slightly cheaper than the akto, lighter but not nearly so robust. Also less condensation prone. As an additional bonus it’s a lot roomier inside and I regularly use it with my lad, with two it’s snug and you only have a little space at the foot. Another feature I like is the adjustable vestibule, handy for cooking if the weather is playful.
BUT I don’t think it will last as long as an akto, I’ve about 40 nights in it so far and all is good, but I’m careful, light weight come at a price (literally and in lifespan)

Oh i also has a terra novo laser comp, a right little Prima donna pitching wise, didn’t last long. If it’s pissing down you don’t want to be messing around. Nordisk is easiest to pitch with the akto not far behind.

I’d say hilleburg if you don’t need the space ( and keep it vented, nordisk if you look after your stuff and want a lot more room.

If you live near Oxfordshire, you’re welcome to come try out the nordisk.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Jurassic pusher

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:55 pm I’ve had a couple of hilleburg tents, I had an akto but moved it on quickly. I found it too cramped but I’d yet to embrace TLS. The build quality is second to none. My other hilleburg was a nallo, I loved that tent, the quality really does show and in my opinion they are worth every penny.
My current tent is a nordisk telemark, well worth a look, slightly cheaper than the akto, lighter but not nearly so robust. Also less condensation prone. As an additional bonus it’s a lot roomier inside and I regularly use it with my lad, with two it’s snug and you only have a little space at the foot. Another feature I like is the adjustable vestibule, handy for cooking if the weather is playful.
BUT I don’t think it will last as long as an akto, I’ve about 40 nights in it so far and all is good, but I’m careful, light weight come at a price (literally and in lifespan)

Oh i also has a terra novo laser comp, a right little Prima donna pitching wise, didn’t last long. If it’s pissing down you don’t want to be messing around. Nordisk is easiest to pitch with the akto not far behind.

I’d say hilleburg if you don’t need the space ( and keep it vented, nordisk if you look after your stuff and want a lot more room.

If you live near Oxfordshire, you’re welcome to come try out the nordisk.
Thanks for the offer Steve, I am a bit too far away really.
The Telemark is on my short list for sure, I suppose I was drawn to the Hilleberg for its Quality.
Good to know that the Telemark is easy to pitch, I can make a faff of a single sheet/pole tarp!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you are going the Hilleberg route can I suggest the Soulo tent.
I opted for this over the Akto as it’s a fully free standing design so easier to pitch on poor sites. The Akto depends on being pegged out to stand up.
The Soulo is a touch heavier but also bigger. The sides are much less sloping and you can sit fully upright.
My Soulo served me for two trans continental trips and is still in great order.
Hilleberg tents are supremely well made and imo justify their hefty price tag, though don’t tell my daughter that because I just bought her a cheap tent from Stuart to use when we go rough camping on Dartmoor when the weather turns bad!
I also have a Nallo 4 GT for family use and that is equally good.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Based on my experiences with a Vango Helium 100 (and a mates experience with a TN Laser) these style of tents suffer from condensation and aren't that roomy. My SMD deschutes is as weather proof, much more roomy and has massively less condensation problems plus weighs 850gs with decent pegs and a BB 10mm dia carbon pole. My F10 nitro is 1.9kg, totally bomproof, and huge inside. So to me the Hilleberg akto is expensive, heavy and small.....
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

The Akto is a proper twin skin tent that shouldn’t have a condensation problem if used properly.
Heavy. That’s relative. Heavier than a Deschutes - very much so - but way more robust and well made and weatherproof (full bathtub floor, bug net etc, etc. I own an SMD Gatewood and can’t imagine that would be in as good as condition as my Hilleberg after the same amount of use >500 nights use.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never used one so can't comment directly but if I were wanting something bombproof, fairly light that offered lots of room, I'd be looking towards a Trailstar with an inner.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Already mentioned on this thread, my "winter" tent is a Scarp 1. Similar weight to the Akto but I believe slightly larger. It also has the optional crossing poles for more severe conditions (and snow shedding).
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I went for a Nordisk - I'd considered the Akto, but opted for the slightly lighter weight of the Telemark.

Pitches very fast, light, and I've been fine with it in some crappy conditions. But, it always feels like I have to be a bit more careful with it compared to my other tents.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

As a confessed tentaholic i have owned most of the tents mentioned. The ideal tent does not exist, all are comprimises. I use different tents /tarps at different times of the year
The Akto is a very solid tent and easy to get a good taught pitch, quickly, in crap weather, with wet and cold hands. Quality / longevity is excellent
it's achillies heel is the head /foot ends where you may find it cramped if you are on a 60mm thick airbed.
It is however heavy for it's room. For most of my bikepacking it was too much so i sold it on. Eventually i bought an Hillebetg Enan instead which is exactly the same size, almost as weatherproof but much lighter.
In between i owned a Scarp 1, roomy & stable but poor build quality on my sample and i found it fiddly and slow to put up
The Terra nova lazer competion i owned was a flappy, flimsy, coffin. But it was very light.

In calmer weather i use a deschutes tarp or it's brother the Luna Solo if there are bugs about. Lighter / roomier, better ventillated, more connected to nature. It's horses for courses in the end
Jurassic pusher

Thanks for the replies, I thought it was a simple decision for me, now I`m not sure about the Akto, seems like plenty of very decent competition.
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

Hi folks was going to buy an Akto to replace my one man tents. Could not raise the funds so I went for a Fjallraven Abisko Light 1 which I bought new for £400 with the footprint. This tent is a copy of the Akto slightly lighter, slightly larger very well made with some nice features I am well pleased with it. I have a few tents and they all suffer from condensation. The Scandinavian tents at least have a significant gap between the inner and outer unlike my MSR Hubba Tour and Terra Nova Photon 2. Cheers Peter.