(Some) people are dicks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

(Some) people are dicks

Post by voodoo_simon »

Riding home tonight on the road bike, I got my trajectory wrong and ended up on the pavement with the bike flipping over me and the bike back onto the road :oops:

As I lay on the pavement gathering my thoughts, I couldn’t believe the amount of car drivers that went past me and didn’t stop, despite having to go on the other side of the road to get past my abandoned bike on the road!

Just can’t believe how unhelpful these people were ~X(
99percentchimp

Re: (Some) people are dicks

Post by 99percentchimp »

I've had the same too... on a bike and motorbike.... staggered sometimes but the ones that do stop are usually great....
Some people seem to have no patience these days... did you suffer any abuse for momentarily delaying anyone while lying on the pavement?
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

once got taken out by a dog running out from the woods and it left me with my mudguard ,metal thing you bolt them to, impaled and stuck in my leg - thankfully hit the shin bone so did not go deep [ but still pretty nasty and had to use crutches]

Dog did not even get knocked off its feet
Owner starts screaming - no idea what - my scream of agony and pleads for assistance drowned her out. passer by intervened and helped as she continued to shout at me as her dog continued to tear in and out of the woods with not a care for anyone or anything.

Some people are indeed dicks and she still gives me evils .
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -they-face
Don't think further comment is necessary.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Unfortunately it's nothing new.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:17 am https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -they-face
Don't think further comment is necessary.
Taken from the article : "The trust wrote to Jeremy Wright nearly two weeks ago to ask for the sentence to be reviewed. Amy Holtom, a paramedic who suffered a broken wrist in the attack, said: “I think this is appalling and shows how little the courts think of us. Anyone else would have been looking at time in jail"...

Slightly off topic but in the same spirit of 'some people are just'... Regards healthcare staff and the law.

About 2 weeks ago I sas trying to get in to work to help out as they were super short staffed. I'm from the agency and a last minute worker so if I don't get there then they're in some real big s*hit at work and the knock on effect is that certain patients are gonna be at risk of health deterioration or death due to staff shortages.

Departed about 2 hours earlier for a shift that takes 40 mins to get to. I planned to have a mushroom/scrambled egg etc breakky at the restaurant in hospital before shift. Roads were all gridlocked (cos of the Leeds Festival and coppers had closed down roads to bottlenecks). I tried to take as many detours that google maps gave me but after 2 closed roads and over 3 hours in traffic and the preceding mile taking almost an hour, I messaged the ICU manager.

Explaining my situation to her and that I had already turned around after 2 closed roads with the police and that I was approaching another traffic block with the copper allowing local tradfic through. I was gonna explain my situation to said copper and he would hopefully let me through.. Once I reached the roadBlock I showed my badge (and next would show my shift booking reference from my nursing agency) but it wasn't working...

Explained to this lovely gent from 'the force' that by me not being let through it was putting patient safety at risk. "A1:M1 that way", "they're in hospital so they're safe", "you're holding up traffic yerself... A1:M1 that way"....

I sadly conceded and turned around as I wasnt gonna get to work that day. I (seriously) thought it was cos I'm muslim* (anyone thats not might noy get the comment but thats what it really is becoming like) and once turned around I messaged manager thus:

1214: Quick update. I set off at 10am from home ((was gonna have breakky at the hospital restaurant). Since about 1035 the traffic jams struck. I used the satnav to find alternate routes but it seems the police have blocked off any minor shortcut roads.

To quantify, since 1120 (i took a screenshot) I've done about half a mile.

Spoke to a local where ive been stuck in traffic for past half hour and appparently its due to the Leeds festival!!

If I'm still at the 20 miles (journey remainder) mark at 1230 Imay have to turn back and go home as I'll assume i won't get to work until at least 1700 anyway and by that time my cars engine and fuel tank may have taken a hit/be drained...

Then:

1229: Gonna explain my situation to the next traffic patrol cops and see if they let me through.... if not, will message with an 'apologies'

Anyway... to cut it short. I called to apologise then going home I noticed my cycle route so got in to work afterall. They we almost jumping for joy as the staff numbers were critically down.

* Obviously wasn't cos arriving at work and speaking to one of the senior ICU doctors (youngish, white female... so no big beard with a tan saying "look, I'm muslim"), they'd done similar to her even though she'd exolained herself....

Moral of the story... D**k*...They're everywhere the *r**ks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Many years ago, I was talking to a customer on the phone and wistfully gazing out of the shop window when I saw a young bloke collapse while walking across the road. Obviously, I did what you'd do and ran outside to help him. He was having a seizure, so I did what I could do. This was the A6 as was so a fairly busy road and with him lay on the floor and me kneeling next to him, not one car stopped and some even beeped and waved in an unfriendly manner. It wasn't until one of the mechanics got outside and stood in the road did things get better - perhaps helped by the fact he was 6'3" and had a very obvious scar across his throat that ran from ear to ear :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Many years ago a few of us were riding (motorbikes) up to Lossiemouth on a Friday night. One of the guys hit a small deer, knocking him off his bike. A car drew up and stopped. The driver got out, rushed over, picked up the deer and put it in his boot, then drove off, leaving my mate on the ground under his bike.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Been the same since Good Samaritan days.
Walking around New York we came across an old fella feebly thrashing about in the bushes at the edge of the 'sidewalk'. We helped him up, sat him on a bench and got him a hot drink and repacked his bags that had spilled (presume he was homeless). Not sure how long he's been there, but he couldn't get up. We saw at least 20 people walk past him and there was no way that they hadn't seen him. I suppose a black hobo isn't worth anyone's time. They are people who post the cheesiest sh1t on Faceache I reckon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It's another aspect of tribalism.

A university did an experiment - they knew that there were significant numbers of both Man Utd and Liverpool supporters amongst the students (both teams have "red" shirts but they are different shades of red) so they arranged for a "victim" to collapse on campus and noted what happened. If the victim was wearing a Man Utd shirt then they were ignored by the Liverpool supporters and vice-versa.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:23 am Many years ago a few of us were riding (motorbikes) up to Lossiemouth on a Friday night. One of the guys hit a small deer, knocking him off his bike. A car drew up and stopped. The driver got out, rushed over, picked up the deer and put it in his boot, then drove off, leaving my mate on the ground under his bike.
Dicks... and opportunists :shock:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:23 am One of the guys hit a small deer, knocking him off his bike.
No wonder he hit it, I'd have lost control if I'd seen a deer riding a bike :o

When I came off my bike on my commute and ended up sliding across the road the car behind stopped to see if I was alright, by then I'd got up (no point laying in the road waiting to get hit) and was hobbling along the pavement pushing my bike. I said I'd walk it off :grin: Lots of people aren't dicks, it's just they quietly go about being good people and don't get noticed.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Stu.....that's because most people are dicks these days, we had a neighbors kid running amok a few years ago, until he fell off his scooter showing off and after assessment he had a compound fracture that we dealt with for nearly an hour till the services got here, they amazingly became nice...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

In Sussex, definitely. This morning I followed the satnav and was routed through a very narrow lane with occasional passing places.
While waiting in the narrow cut a young lady passed while literally screaming ‘get your Fuc***g car out of the way’ there were about eight cars in front of her target.......

Half a mile later I cane across a young lady who had broken down. Obviously I stopped and enquired ‘do you need any help?’

Of course this upset the locals who were obviously not used to people giving a sh1t.

After advising the horn blower that they might consider ‘calming the f^*k down’ I remembered this is their normal.

Any spare room in wales?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

A university did an experiment - they knew that there were significant numbers of both Man Utd and Liverpool supporters amongst the students (both teams have "red" shirts but they are different shades of red) so they arranged for a "victim" to collapse on campus and noted what happened. If the victim was wearing a Man Utd shirt then they were ignored by the Liverpool supporters and vice-versa.
It was slightly more nuanced than that.

They repeated it a few times and told the groups they were studying were team a, team b or "football fans" (but were all supporters of the same team). Interestingly the last group was inclined to help fans in any shirt. So tribalism isn't as ingrained as you'd think.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

or alternatively if you tell people what you re looking for in a "test" they will alter their behavior in order to perform for you

Technically called the demand characteristics of test

A good example is generalisations

Someone asks you to say describe, Asians, Gays, cyclists , whatever in only 6 words
Which you then do as they "made you do this

they then use this to conclude we have crude generalisations of people - which of course we do if we only use 6 words to describe groupings of millions or billions in six words- but the subject only did what you asked them to do.

Oh and tribal groupings are so strong that even randomly assigning people to groups with a public coin toss is enough to get "in -group" bias
Look at what happens when they do prison experiments [in-group bias]or Miligrams shocks [demand characteristics] to see how easily influenced we all are. by instructions, from a scientist, in an experiment. Both experiments are now considered unethical.
I think its the stamford prison experiment[ a few decades since i taught this stuff at uni]
Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

Oh and tribal groupings are so strong that even randomly assigning people to groups with a public coin toss is enough to get "in -group" bias
Sorry, that's what I meant, that the definition of the particular 'tribe' could be quite fluid.

Or in the context of the OP, saying car drivers are dicks for not stopping is valid. But you could also say people aren't dicks despite most people being car drivers and still be correct. Peoples proclivity for being dicks is situation dependent.

The original football experiment:
http://socialpsychonline.com/2015/07/he ... ot-others/
(we were both wrong, there were no Liverpool fans apart from the actor)