MTB to Adventure bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rob39

MTB to Adventure bike

Post by rob39 »

So next year were planning 2-3 adventures 2-3 nights away in the middle of nowhere. Couple of the guys buying gravel bikes but I've just bought a new road bike so this aint an option and I don't see a need to buy one. I do have an old MTB, GT Aggressor XC2, Rockshox Recon forks lockout, Shimano Deore group 44/32/22 & 10/32 cassette, hydro Discs, Alex DP17 rims (26"), Panracer fire xc pro 2.1" rubber.
So how can I make it more adventure bike than MTB.
Terrain will be Single trak, natural trails, forestry gravel roads, tarmac that resembles forestry roads and tarmac
Apart from the obvious luggage needed what else? type of tyres etc
benp1

Re: MTB to Adventure bike

Post by benp1 »

To be honest, just ride it like that, it'll be fine

Change tyres if you want maybe
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

rob39 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:25 pm So how can I make it more adventure bike than MTB.
add bags.

......and a dangle mug
Solo

Post by Solo »

Bar ends?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Asposium wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:16 pm
rob39 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:25 pm So how can I make it more adventure bike than MTB.
add bags.

......and a dangle mug
You mean a DNGLMG?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

1) what size tyres fit on the road bike that are suitable for the ride you re doing - fit them and ride that
2) buy cheap 26 er frame use that with all your bits - I think your overall time will be similar but you will be slow up and faster down so not that convenient for a group ride with Adventure bikes
3) ask to borrow one on classifieds
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I really don't see what's wrong with what you already have ... adventure comes from the mind not from a brochure. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

benp1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:52 pm To be honest, just ride it like that, it'll be fine

Change tyres if you want maybe
Yep.

Schwalbe Big Apple tyres in 26" are a superb adventure tyre that should never puncture. Looks like you can pick them up for a tenner these days.

Maybe see if you can pick up a pair of touring (butterfly) bars for different hand positions? I'm a convert.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:26 pm
add bags.

......and a dangle mug
You mean a DNGLMG?
You’re a very naughty boy :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’d not alter much from that except maybe tyres and bar ends.
I did amazing things on a 26er hardtail when that was the only bike I owned. I’d still be doing them now (probably) if my P7 frame didn’t snap.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:26 pm
add bags.

......and a dangle mug
You mean a DNGLMG?
If there’s one thing the forum was missing it was an Only Connect theme. I’m on board.
psling

Post by psling »

Agree, nothing wrong with the bike you already have really.
Including the tyres!! I'm still running XC Pros and they're a great tyre :-bd OK, they may be a bit dated, things may have moved on and there's better rubber out there nowadays and a trend for bigger rubber but unless you want to spend money....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

things may have moved on
But the terrain hasn't really altered :wink:

I used to have loads of fun on a rigid 26" Inbred. It was horrible, 2" too big, had awful unbranded cable discs I found and a pick and mix selection of gears but it was great. I did N-S Wales on it and once rode it to Brecon with a bivvy along the way, took part in the Brecon Beast then rode home again. Adventure is most certainly attitude and spirit and certainly doesn't stem from tyre / wheel size or handlebar type.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I still (occaisionally) use a 1996 Univega Alpina 504 for the type of trip you mention. Couple of years back did (amongst other trips) the Cairngorms Outer Loop. Back in the day used it for lots of similar style trips.
Not sure what your tyres are like but maybe consider less nobbly if more gravel/tarmac invoved. Currently running 2" Land Cruisers at the moment, cheap and cheerful but fine for what I'm doing on it. I would also recommend bar ends for the usual reasons, mine are the L shaped (on 66cm wide bars) which look a bit strange but allow me to get a bit more stretched out when needed.

Interesting how bikes of that era make (made?) excellent "gradventouring" bikes long before cycling erupted into all those niches. :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't help thinking that you'll have a far better time riding this.
Terrain will be Single trak, natural trails, forestry gravel roads, tarmac that resembles forestry roads and tarmac
on this
GT Aggressor XC2, Rockshox Recon forks lockout, Shimano Deore group 44/32/22 & 10/32 cassette, hydro Discs, Alex DP17 rims (26"), Panracer fire xc pro 2.1" rubber.
than you will on a gravel* bike.

*insert adventure in place of gravel if you like.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

That's the sort of thing my son and I use. Hard tail MTB with 26" wheel. We tend to use semi slick tyres ie low tread in the centre and knobbly bits on the outside. They work pretty well for all but the wettest conditions. We have many adventures and travel many miles on such setups.

I am trying to recover from a rib injury just now and so I recently rode with my road club on my hard tail mtb for the comfort the front sus would offer. I was quite surprised at how much slower I was than the rest, even on the semi-slicks. I knew it would make a difference, but I hadn't realised quite how much.

So I guess a gravel bike or similar would help with covering more miles faster, but don't let the lack of one put you off getting out there. On a rocky descent you will be very glad of the front sus.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

mountain bikes are fine for bike packing. adventure bikes are for the gullible with money to spend being told they must have a "bike packing bike" whilst brousing an alpkit store to find a mug to dangle or people doing lots of gravel miles if you want to do many nice bike packs in the uk a mountain bike is far superior
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:22 am Adventure is most certainly attitude and spirit and certainly doesn't stem from tyre / wheel size or handlebar type.
Oh absolutely. That's not to say that tinkering isn't an option though. :grin:

Faster rolling tyres and more comfortable bars exist for a reason after all. :-bd