bikepacking in the Elan Valley

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

bikepacking in the Elan Valley

Post by whitestone »

This video https://bikepacking.com/plog/bikepackin ... les-video/ popped up on bikepacking.com. Many will recognise the trails. I'm not convinced by the "is it actually bikepacking if you don't have a dangling mug?" comment - I'll wait for the Krakatoa like explosion from Stu :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Re: bikepacking in the Elan Valley

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Past caring Bob ... although I will continue to slip rubber dog turds into any dangling mug I happen across 'cos it makes me laugh. :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Watched that a couple of days ago, f**kin mug dangling comment riled me right up, maybe I'm turning into stu.
She attempted the Tuscany trail a couple of months back too and that was hard to watch as well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Watched that a couple of days ago, f**kin mug dangling comment riled me right up, maybe I'm turning into stu.
She attempted the Tuscany trail a couple of months back too and that was hard to watch as well.
I've learnt to let it go fella. I've also learnt how to squat over a parked bike and crap into a dangled mug. I've become quite accurate :-bd

Ooh also, can anyone explain to me what a 'freelance creative' is. I wonder if it might be like my job, only I call it 'nobbing about'. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think the emphasis is on the "free" bit - it's the "remuneration" that people seem to expect you to do things for if you're offering a service or goods that an alternative, but equivalent, "professional" person/outfit would charge them loads for :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mike

Post by Mike »

:lol: the mug didnt offend me, but that dudes black vestwas shocking :lol: and her voice grates but other than that it was ok.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I was actually asked by 'bad back' Tom to guide these guys on this trip. However I couldn't make it as I went back to work the day before after a 6 week summer break!
At least the weather was kind and for them...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was actually asked by 'bad back' Tom to guide these guys on this trip.
Strangely ......... I wasn't. Kind of odd considering I was a guide for 12 years and it's sorta my back garden :wink:
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

Mike wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 pm :lol: the mug didnt offend me, but that dudes black vestwas shocking :lol: and her voice grates but other than that it was ok.
A black vest and sandals in the Elan Valley in that weather? Do me a favour.
I’ve been abart a bit
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I saw this the other day and wondered when it might apppear here.

It made it funnier expecting the anticipated remarks it would prompt.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

As much as I appreciate a good write up, photo set and some route info.. most videos of riding said route just don't hold my attention. I'd rather leave it a bit of a mystery and get out there eventually, rather than watch some youtube esq vlog.

Still props to Tom (interesting attire aside) as he is generally a top bloke and at the head of one the better shops in the South
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In fairness, I think this and things like it probably aren't really aimed at 'us' and by us, I mean those that have already spent more than a single night out there* - which I suppose is fairly obvious judging by most of the comments.

*look at me being all reasonable
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I thought it was OK needs more swearing and I need to get a sleeve done
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I need to get a sleeve done
These could save you a lot of expense Dave. If you bought a few you could chop and change as the mood took you :-bd

Mike

Post by Mike »

Like the 2nd from right! Just need to build my arms up so they look tight and manly otherwise it will be all baggy :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You'll be fine ....... these are ladies ones.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Actually, are you sure you like the second from the right? That skull appears to be wearing a tea cosy :???:
composite

Post by composite »

It's watching this type of video that makes me wonder if doing my Diary of a Randonnuer thing is actually a good idea. I guess there will be a lot less whooping and being "on trend" but hmmm...

It's funny how you can watch a minute of this before looking at how much is left or get to 50mins in of Daves epic before you realise what the time is. The one video I have ever made where I actually spoke to camera ( :o ) the feedback was that people liked the honesty. That goes for Ride the Dave-ide IMO. Maybe it's the sense of feeling like I'm watching people who seem so hell-bent on showing what a great time they are having and "living their best life". Man, I've become a proper grumpy curmudgeon since passing 40.

I guess this goes back to Stu's point about experience. We all know there are plenty of bits of bikepacking and long riding that aren't all smiles and can be a bit sh1t. It's not as bad but this video is a bit like a British version of those Salsa bikepacking videos that are really just adverts.

On another note where is that bit of single track at 6:30?

EDIT: To be fair I thought I'd watch it again this morning over a coffee and actually it was fine. I was not having one of my best days yesterday.
Last edited by composite on Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

1952 has been on, they want their bikepackers back...

Right miserable bunch of blokes you lot are on here sometimes :wink:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

At least they didn't build a campfire....