Peaks200 crib sheet prep/Qs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Peaks200 crib sheet prep/Qs

Post by redefined_cycles »

So during my first attempt at an ITT - the Peaks200 - preride I noted a slight discrepancy on the actual route. Thinking it would become clearer on the ground. But it didn't and I ended up riding on the mtb track and back down and sharp left to the A628 and a mile up the road it rejoined the route.

Only problem was that the A628 was pretty scary and it obviously wasn't the intended route as when I was turning back onto the official route (sharp R back onto the beidleway/doube or single track), I could see what seemed to be a track that lead down from opposite side of the road.

Q now is, is it that minor road shown above - which doesn't make sense much as on the OS map this is a proper road... Or is there a section off road that I just couldnt see but there is a path that needs walking to catch the track.. More pics to try and view/quantify it a little better below. On the left is Woodhead Res and the issue lies exactly where the cross/view is in centre of the screen/map...

Sorry if it sounds real confusing but I'd rather get it right and follow the minor road if thats it, or find the proper track whereever that is... :-bd

In this view above. The issue lies 3 squares to the left of the gunshot cross thingy

In this view the (same) issue can be seen 1 square to the right of the gunshot view marker thingy :geek:
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearlegged

Re: Peaks200 Northerly section routing Q

Post by Bearlegged »

I'd assumed it just follows the TPT there, and there's just the A628 to cross (not ride along)?
redefined_cycles

(I think) its ok as (I think) I might just have answered my own Q... According to google maps, that first image (which is some sort of beta map and is from my Wahoo app) with the seemingly minor road to the R of the actual route, must be the one!

If noone else has any comments then this is the one I'll just try to find and follow. Seems like a mapping error in OS as the 1 in 25 (the pics shown are obviously from 1in50000 map) even shows no track there.. However there is a random red diamond sat on one of the OS... :sad:
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:08 pm I'd assumed it just follows the TPT there, and there's just the A628 to cross (not ride along)?
This is the bit where I was confused... seems its a subsection of the TPT which is called Longdendale Trail which (if its this and it seems it is) gets onto the A628 for around 100m or such and then left and back onto the trail. I had racked this issue a few times before the actual ride and thought it'd become clear on yhe ground... It didn't really. But now I've seen in google maps, I'll leave the gpx a little earlier and be happy that it must be that! :-bd

PS. " Its good to talk "(BT)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

After you've crossed the A628 the second time (so you're now on the north of it) you do a flat off-road trail heading west. After about 1.5km it starts to go downhill and another few hundred metres after that there's a fork off to the left which drops over the edge of the hill and is a fun little descent back down to the road, where you cross over and drop down onto the Longdendale Trail.

Here's the track on Strava's map:

And here it is again with the heat map turned on:

Sounds like you missed the turn and carried on along the blue-er section. The purple bit (i.e. the bit that's ridden more) is the correct route down to the road.

It's pretty visible on the ground. Here it is again on Google Earth, you take the left fork here:

redefined_cycles

Thanks very much for that clarification Dave*... Yup, I will be more the wiser and stop folloeing the gpx track for a mo this time as it leads you on into the distancd and then suddenly wanted me to fork left :smile: ...

*If at any point I start calling you Andy, which I almost did just now even after first cross referencing with my Strava, then you will correct me right(please)!... It's my dyslexia which puts certain names (especially if I know em from the same workplace/subject/school etc) in the same slot in my brain. Dyexia is an vaguely exciting excuse when in reality one is thick as owt :lol:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Feel free to call me whatever you like Shaf. :grin:
redefined_cycles

Re: Peaks200 crib sheet prep/Qs

Thanks Andy

Start: Dunford Bridge

HADFIELD @ about 20 miles

Tap Parsley Hay Stn @stage3/mile45ish (slightly off route at Parsley CycleHire/visitor centre ? Outside tap E of track)

New coOp Baslow (North of route parralel to BakewellRd over Riv Derwent) closes 2300 @stage4/mile70ish

Bamford Sickleholm Service Stn 24H @stage5/mile100

Thanks Dave :grin:

Off course any pubs have been missed out but if I get desperate I will use em for water (hopefully some might have outside taps :smile:

Castelton visitor centre open/closes: 0930: 1700 @stage5.5/mile110

Tap Fairholmes/Ladybower @stage#/mile#

Running water top of Birch Vale detoru to Phoside Farm @stage#/mile#
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

As Andy has said, pretty obvious on the floor. Fitz's gpx is also correct if you follow that.
More water at Parsley Hay Stn, Hartington Stn, Fairholmes.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Even more water at Miller's Dale, where the route joins the Monsal Trail.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Sett Valley Cafe at Birch Dale
Shop and several food options in Hayfield, about 1km (flat) off-route
They sell snacks and drinks at the little activity centre/bike hire place on the Monsal Trail just where you turn off (Blackwell Mill)
Shop in Youlgreave couple of km off-route.
Shop/bakery in Castleton
techno

Post by techno »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:12 am Sett Valley Cafe at Birch Dale
They sell snacks and drinks at the little activity centre/bike hire place on the Monsal Trail just where you turn off (Blackwell Mill)
Shop/bakery in Castleton
Local shop in Hadfield too:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

:lol:
redefined_cycles

techno mail wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:18 am
In Reverse wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:12 am Sett Valley Cafe at Birch Dale
Shop/bakery in Castleton
Local shop in Hadfield too:
Is that for real? :grin:
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 am
techno mail wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:18 am Local shop in Hadfield too:
Is that for real? :grin:
Haha, no shaf. The TV series league of gentlemen was filmed there.
It's a sort of sitcom about a town of inbred weirdos (think goole). A Dark but very funny program.
redefined_cycles

:-bd I'm not gonna say PX and OnOne and Brant and Cald..... :lol:

This Peaks200 thing. G9nna be horrible(ly lovely)...
BenS

Post by BenS »

My memory of that is that the track off to the left isn't initially obvious but just as it goes over the crest of the hill becomes obviously surfaced. Case of following the gpx line.

Even more vague but if you miss it recall a stream crossing then a left hand bend and possibly a slight rise