800 miles, 98% off road - anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: 800 miles, 98% off road - anyone?

Post by Dave Barter »

I just wish there could be some decent signage. We are so sh1te at this in the UK
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 pm I just wish there could be some decent signage. We are so sh1te at this in the UK
One good reason for following existing routes (e.g. NCN75, WHW). I believe that the An Turas Mor folks are trying to get that signposted anyway.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:44 pm I just wish there could be some decent signage. We are so sh1te at this in the UK
A few years ago we did some local council/tourist board promoted routes in the Massif Central that were just signed by 6cm square stickers posted up on lamp posts and the like - not the best thing to spot as you were hurtling downhill. Last summer we came across varying levels of signage on their Voies Vertes so it's not just the UK.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There is also an argument that, if you have to follow some signs instead of reading a map, you shouldn't be there. This is particularly true of some of the more remote off-road sections.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:26 pm There is also an argument that, if you have to follow some signs instead of reading a map, you shouldn't be there. This is particularly true of some of the more remote off-road sections.
Ah this old chestnut. It’s not having to follow its wanting to follow. Very different things.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:13 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:26 pm There is also an argument that, if you have to follow some signs instead of reading a map, you shouldn't be there. This is particularly true of some of the more remote off-road sections.
Ah this old chestnut. It’s not having to follow its wanting to follow. Very different things.
Quite.
It’s not like the routes aren’t way marked anyway but that they are way marked badly.
No one wins in that situation.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Gents, before we have to wake the pandas up ...

I don't believe either of you are suggesting a sign at every turn but there are occasions where signage not only indicates the route to take but helps avoid confrontation which can only be a good thing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

helps avoid confrontation
I think that's one of the biggest plus points in favour of signage. It needn't be blatant, well executed but discreet signage can work very well. However, on the opposing side, I find even here that many people follow signs almost blindly - even when carrying a map. Should the signs stop or get missed, many people then appear to find themselves lost and with no real idea of where they are because they never thought to keep a check on where they were.

Obviously, there's also the issue of money. It's fine raising money for new signs but the potential trouble comes a few years down the line when signs fall off, get damaged or become overgrown. Money never appears to get set-aside for the maintaining and repair.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Signs also need to be well executed, 2 examples local to me,

Last night I went down a bridleway I've used before but on that occasion I missed a turn (in the dark) and ended up at a different destination. Last night in the light, and knowing where I should turn off, I had a proper look. There is a sign showing the bridleway branching left and the foot path going straight but it is after the turn off and about 5m down the footpath as it's on an existing post and also partially covered by vegetation. So you have to ride the wrong way to see the sign for the right way :roll:

There is a way-marked route on the Island for the Chalk Ridge Extreme, the signs are specific to the route and have the title and a little bike symbol plus an arrow to direct you. They are square and fixed with a single bolt through the middle onto brackets on existing posts/gates. Someone obviously messed up the order as in 2 locations the route goes left but the arrow would point right, so they put the signs upside down to make the arrow point the correct way.... but some kind soul keeps turning them over so they are the right way up, I guess they don't know the route and think they are doing a good deed. Plus, as they are on one bolt an it's not got a nyloc on the back now the route is a couple of years old people have unscrewed the signs and stolen them.

Both the above are funded by the Council who have a rights of way officer who check these things but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I've reported missing signs before where it's obvious the land-owner has removed them to discourage people from using the path but it takes several emails over months to get any action.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If interested in RoW stuff the IPROW page on FB can be illuminating. Written by RoW officers / people, AFAIK, so occasionally I suspect some confirmation-bias creeps in ;-). Quite a dry, sardonic writing style which I find amusing.

Re: signage, I suspect this is a minefield (as some much in RoW seems to be). A local group tried to signpost a set of trails around Wetherby (Red Kite Trails). Generally they were successful apart form the public BW through the Harewood Estate who refused to allow it. I think the landowner can object to anything other than what is listed or specifically allowed for in the schedule for the RoW. It's a shame as the thinking behind the signage was positive, just laying on a little more guidance for folks looking to progress onto the RoW network and ride wider areas, out of their usual knowledge / comfort zone. Maybe some might baulk at the slight whiff of nanny-ism but personally, done well and in the round, I think it's a "good thing".

Pace have done something similar by signing loops on RoW around their shop at Sutton Bank. Again, intended (or at least one of the intentions) to help people bridge from trail centres to RoW.

Oh and the route in the OP was worked on by Kieran Foster at IMBA who I've worked with on various RoW and trailbuilding stuff over the years. He's a rider and a good egg so I imagine, even if there's some flaws in execution, that the intentions for the trail are coming from a good place.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dave Barter wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:13 am
There are those who can't navigate without signposting and those who choose not to but can when needs dictate.

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of can'ts around, judging by listening to MRT members talking about another can't who has gone missing in the mountains without a map. At least I think that's what they're saying.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

No Pandas needed but I don’t buy the argument that signage encourages numpties to get in the trouble in the hills.
Numpties will carry on getting themselves in trouble by whatever means they have, be that signs, maps, gps or phones. That won’t change.
When I talked about signage I mean the NCN and cycle paths in general. I often find myself riding through towns past good looking cycle routes but the signs indicating where they go just aren’t very useful very often. In your car if you have a rough idea of where you want to go road signs will most often get you there. IME if you try to do that by cycle path you come unstuck.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

As lune ranger says: in towns 1:25000 is not good enough so map zealots can do one. The ncn suffers really badly from bad signage just when you need it, ie trying to avoid cars and find the cycle path on the right side of the road. We do not have reliable mapping at the scale required full stop.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

In Stafford, if you follow one set of NCN signs you end up at a private road with a Cyclists dismount sign and another one that says No Cyclists with no visible clue that if you walk for a couple of hundred yards along the private road then the NCN route magically justs starts again on a rail trail just off the road. There is an alternative way through a housing estate and a park to that bit of the NCN but some dim bulbs have put a pedestrian gate on it so there’s currently no legal way to cycle on to the cycle path.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The ncn suffers really badly from bad signage just when you need it
Very true. I've always found it to be great on the little lanes and tracks but in built up areas, it's often quite poor. Saying that, I often choose to ignore it in built up areas as I find being taken right round the houses (quite literally) highly frustrating :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Relying on signage is similar to relying on a GPS and not taking a map out with you (or taking one and leaving it in your bag). All fine and dandy until it goes wrong and you haven't a clue where you are.
Powered by crumpets.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Gregsie wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 pm Relying on signage is similar to relying on a GPS and not taking a map out with you (or taking one and leaving it in your bag). All fine and dandy until it goes wrong and you haven't a clue where you are.
A rough count says you'd need to start out with about 35 OS Explorer maps for that route. I think I'd be tempted to save £300 and go with a GPS (I have full OS maps on mine).
techno

Post by techno »

i read that as:
Pirahna wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:35 pm A rough c*nt says...
there's no need for that sort of language :lol:
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:35 pm
Gregsie wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:03 pm Relying on signage is similar to relying on a GPS and not taking a map out with you (or taking one and leaving it in your bag). All fine and dandy until it goes wrong and you haven't a clue where you are.
A rough count says you'd need to start out with about 35 OS Explorer maps for that route. I think I'd be tempted to save £300 and go with a GPS (I have full OS maps on mine).
I'd go for the tighter option of an OS subscription and printing off the bits I needed on A4 sheets. What I normally do.