To tape or not to tape... that is the question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NorwayCalling

To tape or not to tape... that is the question

Post by NorwayCalling »

Hurray!

New frame time and its got a beautiful paint job, high gloss.... mint! (as they in wales)....but.....

As many as you will have seen at the WRT etc my bikes are usually cover in gaffa tape.... Norwegian army gaffa tape, but gafa tape all the same (just a nice digi-camo tape). This is a great option to cover up the some-what-dated-and-cheap-cheap frame underneath. The added bonus that it does give the bike a bit of protection, from the rigors of bike packing.

However, I am a human of 49 years and have scars, a right foot that's "off" by 15 degrees as it was set like that after braking a leg, a wrist that only rotates from the elbow, a scar on my thumb from the fins of a surfboard as someone dropped in on me etc...etc... all the scars of an active life. I ware them with an odd sense of pride.

Should my bike packing bike also be covered in scars... dents will always be the reminder of that dropped bike on a windy day, that gate on the way up to nant-such-n-such........ postcards from trips taken. Or should it be covered n helitape an keep its good looks for as long as possible.... as the paintwork and finish justify it (as I said its mint!).

We are not talking plastic bikes here but painted aluminium so that's not an issue...

So... to tape or not to tape... that is the question?
Charliecres

Re: To tape or not to tape... that is the question

Post by Charliecres »

Bikepacking abrasion can kill a frame. So tape. And do it properly with good tape so it doesn’t yellow or peel.

What’s the bike?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'd tape. Get some decent helitape (not that brand)... there wass a thread in STW or summat explaining a decent tape to get at good price which I used. :-bd sorry I forgot the name but it is rather decent stuff
RobLyon

Post by RobLyon »

Tesa tape?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

It's a bike and it's made of metal. The paint may chip, the finish be slightly changed, but it's only a bike. It's not made of cheese, but metal. If the abrasion from a nylon bag is wearing your frame out, send the frame back!

Just leave it as it, you are only putting tape on it, and that will soon enough rub through as well. Like you have scars, your bike should have scars too :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Straps and cables will rub right through an aluminium frame. I've seen it. More than once. Either tape any abrasion points or invest in some Invisiframe and treat the whole frame.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'd tape it, but I like to keep things looking nice long after they're worn out..... But some chicks dig scars (so I'm told) so you'll be sure to appeal to the fairer sex if you don't tape your frame (has it worked with your body?)
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:38 pm Straps and cables will rub right through an aluminium frame. I've seen it. More than once. Either tape any abrasion points or invest in some Invisiframe and treat the whole frame.
You have seriously seen a cable rub right through an aluminium frame, really? Where was the cable and what did it rub through?

I have an aluminium bike from 1983, the cables have not changed their routing at all in that time, and the frame hasn't snapped. I think this is just an urban myth. Are you really suggesting that aluminium tubing would wear quicker than a thin rubber tube to such a degree that metal will snap before the rubber perishes?

Oh, and if this rubber tubing is so abrasive and dangerous, how come a small piece of tape is the answer to the problem? It won't be as strong as the aluminium it is covering.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cheddar Man wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:53 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:38 pm Straps and cables will rub right through an aluminium frame. I've seen it. More than once. Either tape any abrasion points or invest in some Invisiframe and treat the whole frame.
You have seriously seen a cable rub right through an aluminium frame, really? Where was the cable and what did it rub through?

I have an aluminium bike from 1983, the cables have not changed their routing at all in that time, and the frame hasn't snapped. I think this is just an urban myth. Are you really suggesting that aluminium tubing would wear quicker than a thin rubber tube to such a degree that metal will snap before the rubber perishes?

Oh, and if this rubber tubing is so abrasive and dangerous, how come a small piece of tape is the answer to the problem? It won't be as strong as the aluminium it is covering.
Yes, I've seen it. Aluminium frames are remarkably thin.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cheddar Man wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:53 pm

Rubber tape, covered in dust or grit that is harder than aluminium, makes very effective sandpaper. I've seen it happen and the mid section of an alu frame tube is often only just over 1mm thick. You could go 0.25mm into that in one trip quite easily if you were a bit careless. And suspension bikes with bad cable routes can do the same as the rear end moves. A gear or brake cable on a rigid bike, no, unlikely as you say. That's not what I read his post as suggesting though.

I don't generally tape my bikes, mainly as they're either now already paint-damaged + touched up but steel tubes, or the bag doesn't move much on that bike and causes little damage.