Thinking SS...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Thinking SS...

Post by redefined_cycles »

All this talk lately of SS as well as previously having read MH mention SS being good to make you push a bigger gear and on top of that the ride reports from Javi and Sean (the sheep) of how they did over the Braunton150 or the BB300 on SS. Its recently had me thinking that maybe its time and todays post on 'what you done to your bike today' of a lovepy looking SS machine... Got me thinking.

Well, firstly I always assumed that you'd want sliding dropouts for a decent tight chained SS setup. But all them sliding dropout frames seem heavy and the frames a bit nasty looking. I'd probably use it mainly for riding/commuting to work n back...

Anyway, without much more further ado, whats peoples top advice or thoughts on SS bikes. Do they all look nasty? Are they all heavy and super stiff with grafiti all over em... Does one want sliding dropouts or is it just as effective removing wheel and tightening chain (when going other way) on a quick release (or thru axle) setup... Will me knees pop after one time too many, trying to push a daft gear on too steep a hill once too often*.

Probably I could build something up out of parts laid here and there and maybe just need a frame and potentially a rear freehub and bartape etc etc.

Over to you brother bear...

*did I just say the same thing twice in that sentence
Piemonster

Re: Thinking SS...

Post by Piemonster »

I’d worry less about how it looks and more about the gear ratio. And also worry more about how the frame rides.

Admittedly my Single Speed (Genesis Day One with 35c CX tyres) is heavy considering there’s only one gear. But in riding I never notice the weight.

I do love it, genuine joy to ride. My usage is very different to those that take them on long hilly excursions, 12km to 15km each way with 150m climbing. It’s then left at a train station where value in £££ is not your friend.

I’ll be heart broken if it does get pinched, Mrs Piemonster bought me that bike and I’ve always loved it, even more so once I ditched that wretched Alfine hub.
slarge

Post by slarge »

My SS is my old race hardtail, so it is tricked out with light wheels and components, and has a tensioner as it's a geared frame without sliding dropouts. But it's fun. I hardly ever ride it around Warwickshire though as it's too flat, and the ratio that works on the road is too big off road, and vice versa. Take it to the hills and it's great. Best way for a first SS is to convert the bike you have to see if y ou like it...
psling

Post by psling »

Well, firstly I always assumed that you'd want sliding dropouts for a decent tight chained SS setup.
Chain tension and chainline are probably the most important things about a ss bike. Sliding dropouts or eccentric bottom bracket are frame options, a chain tensioner at rear is simplest conversion for other frames, an eccentric rear hub is another option.

All this talk lately of SS as well as previously having read MH mention SS being good to make you push a bigger gear and on top of that the ride reports from Javi and Sean (the sheep) of how they did over the Braunton150 or the BB300 on SS. Its recently had me thinking that maybe its time and todays post on 'what you done to your bike today' of a lovepy looking SS machine... Got me thinking.
It's something that has to be tried. Riding ss is as much a state of mind as anything else. Gearing is always a compromise (especially for road riding or commute) - you're either spinning like crazy or straining like, well, er… crazy. Long flat sections will lead to asking yourself "why, just why?". But, and it's a big but, if you find you get ss, the pure simplicity of riding a ss bike is really quite enlightening, a certain freedom if you like.
From a fitness point of view, riding ss off-road can be a good upper body workout as well as good leg-strength exercise. Your knees won't necessarily pop (mine have survived 20 odd years of riding ss) and you'll enjoy walking exercise on many hilly rides too :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

If you decide to convert a non-SS frame I have a (brand new) spare tensioner you can have for postage. I’m not likely to use it as my Stooge has an EBB.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Everyone should have a good SS... I didn't stick with my SS CX bike as the range of speeds / terrains simply made the gear more wrong more often, but my SS MTB has been my no1 bike for many years. Takes a bit of getting used to but you'll quickly be a stronger rider and it's suprising how good they are for long rides, assuming you're not over-geared. Oval rings work well on them to help get the best of the gear at lower revs I think.

On tensioning systems, don't dismiss EBBs. ime they can be the best (uh-oh controversial..) option. Like slider dropouts they just need to be a good design. There's great and highly flawed examples of both out there.

imo an EBB SS is better looking as the side profile is cleaner. Tensioning duties being separated from the brake forces are a bonus but not essential. BB height and ST angle adjustment either a bonus or an OCD challenge depending on your view (I prefer the adjustment to be at the BB than the axle)

I keep thinking of SS road touring in the Alps. No idea why aside from I like the climbing challenge. I think I'd be cursing myself on day 2 though :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

I used to love riding SS but dont consider myself strong enough at the moment and dont have an SS frame just now. Im sure ill turn back to it one day.

Anyway. I dont mind a sliding dropout, or a swinging one like on a salsa. Never had an ebb so cant comment. The sliders and swingers (not that sort) have worked really well.

Go for it I say. Pick a gear ratio that gets you up most of the hills round your way and have a crack.
redefined_cycles

Charliecres wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:48 am If you decide to convert a non-SS frame I have a (brand new) spare tensioner you can have for postage. I’m not likely to use it as my Stooge has an EBB.
Yes pls kind sir...
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:00 am I used to love riding SS but dont consider myself strong enough at the moment and dont have an SS frame just now. Im sure ill turn back to it one day.

Anyway. I dont mind a sliding dropout, or a swinging one like on a salsa. Never had an ebb so cant comment. The sliders and swingers (not that sort) have worked really well.

Go for it I say. Pick a gear ratio that gets you up most of the hills round your way and have a crack.
Yup... I think I've been convinced :-bd
redefined_cycles

Regards eccentric BB... looks an expensive addition. Is this just one type of design https://youtu.be/yWmxxeGn00A and using eccentric: would it mean carrying of extra tools for puncture duties (wheel removal/slackening chain/angle)... :???:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Just about to put wifeys Charge singlespeed up for sale. It's an 18 inch frame with the 650 plus tyres if anyone is interested.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

would it mean carrying of extra tools for puncture duties (wheel removal/slackening chain/angle).
Generally just an allen key required. The only ebb I've had that required any special tools was a Pipedream.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

I would love to be strong/light enough to ride ss. I had a ss for a few years and it was just so simple. and so easy to keep running smooth.

as a work bike I would go one better and have a fixie. in my previous job I worked nights, 10/6. it was a 10 mile ride in on one road. I rode a Dave Yates fixed road bike for 7 years to work. so good a tool for the job.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Ton. One step at a time. Fixed might just be a step too far on my knobbly knees around these hills (when trying to slow down downhill :smile: )
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 am Just about to put wifeys Charge singlespeed up for sale. It's an 18 inch frame with the 650 plus tyres if anyone is interested.
Goddamn it! Haha, like busses. Would love to see pics, is it the pink grinduro?
Image Image
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The two bikes that I no longer have are a SS MTB and a road bike that I put flat bars on and made SS

Currently no SS bikes in my collection. SS road bike was my commuter (32 mile round trip) and my SS MTB was my bike for taking the dog out

SS MTB was great for local stuff but no space for any more bikes
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:10 am
Charliecres wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:48 am If you decide to convert a non-SS frame I have a (brand new) spare tensioner you can have for postage. I’m not likely to use it as my Stooge has an EBB.
Yes pls kind sir...
PM me your address and I’ll dig it out of the shed
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

EBBs don’t require any extra tools for punctures - you’re working with vertical dropouts so the wheel drops out as per any other frame.

As for SS being heavy, mine is a Ti Stooge and it is really quite light!

My other SS is a commuter, a Vitus with sliders. The EBB is a far cleaner solution, but Salsa Alternators are also pretty nice. When you’re running them geared you have adjustment in the chainstay length which affects handling.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

A mode of transport favored by oddballs who live in isolated places with shallow gene pools in my experience. :-bd
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:06 am A mode of transport favored by oddballs who live in isolated places with shallow gene pools in my experience. :-bd
So does that mean you do or don't favour one Andy ? :grin:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

:grin:

Apologies, i should have said "isolated hell hole". :-bd

ftr I've ss'ed a couple of bikes and it's genuinely astounding just how fast you can go with the right gearing. I'm far from being strong enough to do it over any distance/elevation though. :cool:
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Both my SS bikes are used for fairly quick blasts around my local woods/south downs way. Curre tly topping out at around 50kms when I have that much time spare, usually it's a couple of hours at most. As a training tool they're amazing, I definitely am a much stronger rider generally after a few weeks on an SS.

Do it, what have you got to lose??
Image Image
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:06 am A mode of transport favored by oddballs who live in isolated places with shallow gene pools in my experience. :-bd
Oi! I can see that remark you know :lol:

Go for it Shafiq, everyone should try it at least once, but be warned if you like it you'll be hooked.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just back from SS UK which was a right laugh - highly recommended. There are a few instances when SS is perfection - rough downhills being one of them as you get little or know drive train clatter and the lightweight back end feels so flickable. Long steady climbs if you've not the right gear for them are the challenge. Bear in mind that irrespective of what gearing you use, you will always encounter a climb that the gearing doesn't suit. I'd go for gearing low as well. I run 32:21 on a 29+ but I think I'll go lower. This weekend it was a brute on the climbs whereas my mate on his moonie with 22:20 got up everything no bother.... Accept they will be a spinny on flat tarmac. You soon get into the swing of pedal and rest, pedal rest.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Everyone should have a good SS
THIS. NO chain noise instant response if you attack. There is just something so beautiful and simple about them and I really like the way it makes you attack a hill when it gets hard /you get tired. You get used to it . I ride mine 85% of winter

However it really depends where you live IMHO
Plenty of hills i would just be pushing up rendering it somewhat pointless so it also depends on whether it is a practical option, Also my commute has one brutal hill and is flat for the rest what i could turn up that hill v what I need for the rest means it would be too much of a compromise for a 19 mile commute [ with the gear being too low for 99.9% of the ride. [ or a 5 min walk mid ride,

I ride 26 er [ it aint dead ] steel EBB on a 32 :17 . I can ride 32:16 locally but i rarely sit on hills with that where as i can sit down more with 32:17. The EBB needs a 15 mm spanner to adjust but it has never slipped - though chains do stretch. Easiest bike i have to change as it just pulls out with no resistance after the QR is undone and no mech to worry about and chain is in line for re insertion

As for weight My steel SS is still the lightest bike I won even with a dropper on it.

Sorry for the length just returned from SSUK so a bit in love with it again [ though - despite the weather- it also marks the end of summer :sad: